SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Question/issue with the search feature

Moderators: lbj, parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Question/issue with the search feature Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I don't use search a lot, but occasionally I do, and I just came across an issue that I think could use some attention.

I was in the Lair, and did a basic search for "americans", and nothing showed up except a reference to the Tour de France.

After someone posted that The Americans had indeed been discussed recently, I did another advanced search, and put in to search title only, and it found it.

My question is whether or not that's intentional? I would think that a basic search would search everything. I would have thought to use advanced search only when I wanted to be more specific on a search phrase, or time period, etc.

I see that it comes up pretty often with jib jabs, and people saying that they had searched.

This is not intended as a complaint, as I certainly get more than my money's worth from the forum. I just wanted to point out this one issue in the event you weren't aware of it.

EDIT: I just did a little more playing with it, and even in advanced search, if you select "subjects and messages" it doesn't find it. It appears that "subjects and messages" actually only searches messages, and you have to choose "subject only" to search subjects.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Do it again ("americans"). There came up 13 pages of results. Look on the right hand side, either the top or bottom of the page. Wink

Posts: 11227 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Do it again ("americans"). There came up 13 pages of results. Look on the right hand side, either the top or bottom of the page. Wink

Okay, I see that now. It's kind of bizarre though, as it only showed one (now two) on the first page. Some pages have a bunch, some pages few. I don't understand the inconsistency, as opposed to normal threads where each page holds basically the same number of responses.

Also, bizarre that the only two that are showing on the first page now have "americans" in the body of the post, but not the subject line.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There is some good functionality within Google to do searching of SIGforum, if the built-in search isn't doing what you want.

Just add (without the quotes) "site:sigforum.com" to your search. That tells Google to limit its search to SIGforum.

Link below shows the format, and leads to a Google result:
site:sigforum.com americans

Posts: 10890 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
There is some good functionality within Google to do searching of SIGforum, if the built-in search isn't doing what you want.

Just add (without the quotes) "site:sigforum.com" to your search. That tells Google to limit its search to SIGforum.

Link below shows the format, and leads to a Google result:
site:sigforum.com americans

The above is what I do. I also incorperated a google search function at karmanator.com.

http://www.karmanator.com/sig_search.html

--
Holding a Karma, check out The Karmanator

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy ... let's go exploring!

Posts: 2904 | Location: The Hill Country, Texas | Registered: December 12, 2002Report This Post