SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Account Email no go list?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Account Email no go list? Login/Join 
posted
My University email account is finally being shut off and this was used as my account Email for registration/password recovery. I tried changing email to my normally used personal Gmail account but that isn't allowed is there a list of the banned free email companies?
My work email is not option.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The list of "banned free email" is simple. All of them. None of the free email addresses are accepted for registration.

However, once you are registered, you will not be un-registered if your original email address is discontinued.

Greatly misunderstood, but I'll try to clarify. You have are two email "slots" at SIGforum.
  1. Your registration email address. Free email services, like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. are not acceptable. This address is used for registration, and also for automatic notices if you check "Notify" when you post something.

2. The email address that you can optionally put in your viewable profile. This can be any email address. It can be the same as the registration address, or it can be a free service like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, or whatever. This is the address that logged-in SIGforum members can see if they look at your profile, so it's the place to look when one member wants to communicate with another.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My issue is I always forget my password between my device switches and when my edu email is shut off. I wouldn't be able to recover my password.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
woods62,

Do you have a paid internet service at home? I use Comcast and get a free email account from them. My solution was to register with my Comcast account, and then adjust my Comcast settings so that all emails are automatically forwarded to my GMail.

It's never failed me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm out rural and use TMobile cell for all internet's. And I work for a large company and would prefer to keep gun activities off my work email.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods62:
I'm out rural and use TMobile cell for all internet's. And I work for a large company and would prefer to keep gun activities off my work email.
You're already registered, so you can put any email address that you want, in your public profile -- I see that you have one in there, and it's fine. This is the address that logged-in SIGforum members can see, and can use to communicate with you.

As far as the university address that is being discontinued, the only thing that you will lose when this address dies, is automatic notifications when you opt to follow a forum thread.

As a general rule, the management here does not like to change the registered email address unless there is a really compelling reason to do so. In any event, it appears that you do not have a paid address to use for it.

If you do want a paid address, gmail offers that option. You can get your own domain name through any number of sources, and these will satisfy the forum rule. Example, for twelve bucks a year, you could register something like "woods62.net" or "woods62.com" or whatever, through gmail. Then, your paid address might be something like "woodsGuy@woods62.net."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Why not try your cell phone?

use

[insert 10-digit number]@tmomail.net

see if that works.
This was how dispatch used to page out our swat team. they just mass email our cellphones and it shows up as a text

It will text you the reset link maybe?
you're also going to get texts when a notification comes in, so maybe not do this.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda in the same boat as Woods62, my work email was used to register but I don't like getting the notifications to my work account and have just got a new domain name & setup email via Office 365 but still am unable to change my Account Email Address.

quote:
Error: The email address you listed is not allowed for registration on this site. Most free email addresses are not allowed in this forum, so this is not a ban of your specific email address, but rather, a general ban of the provider you specified.
NOTE: This site requires that you verify this email address.

How do I verify the new account address?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Open that email account, find the email we sent you, then click the link in it. If you can't receive email at that address, you cannot verify it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I checked the "Change Account Email" box, entered my new Account Email into "Account Email Address" & "Confirm Account Email Address" fields, scrolled down to the bottom of the screen and clicked on "Submit" but still get the

quote:
Error: The email address you listed is not allowed for registration on this site. Most free email addresses are not allowed in this forum, so this is not a ban of your specific email address, but rather, a general ban of the provider you specified.

I just sent an email to this new email address from my work email so I know it can receive email.

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The password bit is easy.

Write your password down and stick it in your gun safe.

If someone is digging around in your gun safe, your SIGforum password is the least of your worries.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I can't verify my new Account email address if the system won't allow me to update my Account email address.

quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I checked the "Change Account Email" box, entered my new Account Email into "Account Email Address" & "Confirm Account Email Address" fields, scrolled down to the bottom of the screen and clicked on "Submit" but still get the

quote:

I just sent an email to this new email address from my work email so I know it can receive email.

posted Hide Post
The email address that I used to sign up is no longer available. I've tried to change it to my startmail.com address, but it's giving the standard error that free email accounts are banned. Startmail.com is not free, you have to pay for accounts there.

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunaslide:
The email address that I used to sign up is no longer available. I've tried to change it to my startmail.com address, but it's giving the standard error that free email accounts are banned. Startmail.com is not free, you have to pay for accounts there.
I'm going to take a guess.

Assuming that the reason for not allowing free email for registration address, is to close the door to trolling etc., startmail.com does leave some exposure to that. There is a free trial period option.

In contrast, an email address obtained through your ISP, for example, is not available as a free option.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I set something similar up with Google Domains for $12/year. This article may be helpful:
https://support.google.com/dom...answer/3251241?hl=en

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I too am losing my registration email address as we are moving and changing service providers. If the only thing that the registration email is good for is as noted below, life can move on...

quote:
the only thing that you will lose when this address dies, is automatic notifications when you opt to follow a forum thread.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post