SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    What is your gear setup for USPSA type events? My ELS setup.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your gear setup for USPSA type events? My ELS setup. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I retitled the thread, from My ELS setup for USPSA Major. I'm looking for something different, and I think I found it but I'm interested in what more people use. Even though it's a small field of selections.

I currently use the RHT holster and pouches on an ELS belt setup for my CZ TSO. The RHT holster rattles a little and isn't very well fitted but about the only option for a full body Kydex holster for the TSO with the thumb rest. Maybe a version without the thumb rest would fit better, I'm still on the fence about the thumb rest as I switch guns. Not sure I want to go to a full race holster, but I may have to. The mag pouches are pretty amateur I think and though they fit well, they are oversized in the body and don't draw smooth.

My other setup is on a Blade Tech belt using Ghost mag pouches and a BOSS holster hanger using a CompTac holster for the CZ Shadow 2. This is a much nicer setup, easier to adjust and the mag pouches are much more forgiving on the draw and return while still being secure. The CompTac holster could be a touch better molded but is still a better fit than the RHT. I just need to add some thumbscrews to better tweak the adjustment.

Now I'm looking at a new belt for the CZ TSO setup. I'll probably go with Ghost mag pouches again unless someone can recommend others? How are the DAA pouches? What about their Competition Pro belt, I'm looking for stiffness.

What about a race type holster with muzzle support? Any issues switching from race to full body and back? I shoot USPSA Limited with the TSO and Steel Challenge and outlaw matches with the Shadow 2 and I like the full bodied holster.

From Previous thread:
I finally have my Safariland ELS belt set up and it’s a solid meh. Maybe actual use, rather than dry fire, will improve my opinion. The larger QLS plates don’t fit neatly, can be done and work though. The ELS to me is too small for a holster mount but good for the mag pouches. The belt is stiff enough and hooks well to the inner belt. It’s sort of difficult to get the studs in, but I think it will wear in. It will need a ratchet though I think, or at lease a few poly belt keepers.

I bought a Red Hill Tactical holster as they are one of the few making full body holsters for the TSO. I’m getting a spot of colored Kydex on the corner of the slide that I’m not super thrilled about. I may see if they can adjust it some. There is some play even when secure from falling out. Just enough to rattle but the gun won’t fall out. At this point, I prefer the fit of the CompTac that I use for the Shadow 2. The RHT does provide a nice draw still. It mounts well to the QLS, that’s how I ordered it. For my preference I’ll need to add a thigh pad to tilt the muzzle just a little more away from my leg, no fault of the holster or belt.

The RHT mag pouches are just ok, but seem just a step above amateur. Lots of material below the pouch that needs more rounding but then may not hold as well. The single tension screw works well and they fit snug to the magazines. They are fairly deep pouches and I’ve had some hang ups drawing from them, again, time my improve things. I’ll stay with Ghost from now on.

If anyone has any holster suggestions, I’d be glad to hear them. I think I’m going to go to a CR High Torque belt and put holes in it for the ELS/QLS stuff. This seems common and to work well.

First match today with the gear today. The holster works well and I think a little more sanding inside it will be just right.

The belt was good and held tight but I’m still going to get a ratchet for extra fine tuning.

The mag pouches however just won’t work for me. So back to Ghost or maybe Safariland.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
The RHT mag pouches are just ok, but seem just a step above amateur. Lots of material below the pouch that needs more rounding but then may not hold as well. The single tension screw works well and they fit snug to the magazines. They are fairly deep pouches and I’ve had some hang ups drawing from them, again, time my improve things. I’ll stay with Ghost from now on.
The mag pouches however just won’t work for me. So back to Ghost or maybe Safariland.

I really like the Safailand 771 pouches. The open front makes drawing much slicker. I ordered mine with the belt loop, and later bought the clip attachment system for a Safariland belt. I use the belt loops for IDPA.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m trying to figure out what Group size fits the TSO mags for sure but they also look tempting since I’ve got the ELS mounts already.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that my last order from Red Hill was just meh. The holster wasn't cut right for the P229 I was teaching with and each time I drew the pistol, it rubbed the middle finger on my gun hand.

Upon inspection, the back of the holster wasn't trimmed properly.

I'm currently looking at other holsters on the internet.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m seeing some other issues online. Maybe they are getting too big too fast. I’m in touch with Steadfast holsters but his books are closed until after the first of the year.

Ultimately I think something that uses the BOSS hanger or similar is the way to go. Steadfast offers this option. It helps keep the muzzle straight or slightly out so it’s not pointing at your leg.

For a regular belt mount holster, I really like the Side Armour.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
RHT and Kydex in general has always been absolutely brutal on the finish of the gun. I've had a couple RHT that have been overly tight. I still prefer the stiffness of their double layer to what their competitors are offering. If tightness is of concern, I'd look at getting a DAA race holster for limited. Not sure if Safariland makes an 014 that works with a TSO, but it is probably a better option for the ELS setup if that is what you are looking for.

I use the ghost pouches for everything outside of single stack. If I had to replace them, I would probably go with the DAA racers as they are very nice on my single stack rig.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I try, but still don’t shoot enough to do much wear to the finish. The dragging and removal of Kydex that then gets stuck on the gun is annoying. Tight at one point and loose at others.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with the BladeTech Black Ice for my X5 Allround. I did replace BT's rather flexible DOH attachment with a BOSS hangar. It made a noticeable difference for a ~45oz gun. I don't know if they make the Black Ice anymore, but they do offer their Classic OWB holster for the CZ Tactical Sport. Not sure if that fit is different from the TSO.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The Blade Tech TS holster won’t work for the TSO, different dust covers.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I emailed Safariland because they don't list a specific mag pouch for the CZ TSO in 40, and they replied to check their mag fit menu on their website. I already tried that, oddly enough.

I'm really intrigued by the Weber Tactical stuff but they don't make anything for CZ.

The TSO has two different trigger guards it can come with, depending on build date. Either the thinner TSO type or the thicker Checkmate size which doesn't help.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
In Limited, Production and Carry Optic I use the same CompTac 'International' holster. All of the pistols for this are M&P Pro 5" guns with various types of custom parts, starting with Apex triggers. They are what I could afford to get started, part time match shooter, mostly for the fun and the folks. In this part of the world we have about 5 months out of the year that is just not match weather. A 'C' in the above, at this point I don't really care to spend the time and cash to chase moving up...but I can keep up with some good shooters at times Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
About set finally. I picked up a Carbon Arms ratchet strap for the ELS belt, so much easier to put on.

I’ve been using some BladeTek competition mag pouches, that they no longer make, for Glock size mags and mounted with TekLok. These work great.

I received a Long’s Shadow holster for the TSO with no thumb rest and it’s mounted to a BOSS hanger and with a TekLok to fit the ELS belt width.

Very solid setup, very nice full body holster! I will be ordering a dual layer from them.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
About set finally. I picked up a Carbon Arms ratchet strap for the ELS belt, so much easier to put on.

I’ve been using some BladeTek competition mag pouches, that they no longer make, for Glock size mags and mounted with TekLok. These work great.

I received a Long’s Shadow holster for the TSO with no thumb rest and it’s mounted to a BOSS hanger and with a TekLok to fit the ELS belt width.

Very solid setup, very nice full body holster! I will be ordering a dual layer from them.

Bladetech used to make some killer gear. I had those pouches for my single stack and am still running their classic OWB on my Glock rig.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post