Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IDPA Gun Login/Join 
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted
I'm just now reading up, as I just realized there's a club close to me and I'm interested in trying.

Can I use my Sig X5 Allround? Will it fit in the box, or is there a different rule that disqualifies it?

Posts: 619 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I do not believe that the X5 will fit in the box.

But...even if it doesn't most local clubs are EXTREMELY lenient on letting first time shooters shoot what they bring. You show up shoot the match, if you like it maybe you look at a more suitable gun.

I say go, enjoy and worry later

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29000 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I believe Im going to do just that.

Posts: 619 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delmag Tech:
is there a different rule that disqualifies it?

It is also a couple of ounces over the weight limit of 43oz with a mag. But I agree with jljones, most clubs will let you shoot it at least the first match anyway to see if you like IDPA.

Posts: 5742 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
The main reason I asked (other than the fact that I shoot the X5 better than my others) is that I have a blade tech holster for it.
I also have VP9 to use, and if I can find a suitable holster for it before next Saturday, I'll take that one.

Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
So, the girlfriend and I are definitely going to try the IDPA shoot the Saturday after next. It's every second Saturday, and I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

I've decided rather than show up with the X5 that they'd likely let me use once, to prepare myself to use the VP9.

What that means is that I need a suitable holster the the VP9, and She's going to need one for her Ruger LC9S.

At least I'm assuming we both need one to really particiapte.

I know there tons of choices. Can a fairly low cost, quickly attainable sample for each be had? Part of my question is based on the fact that one type or another might be better fit for the organization.

I have a blade tech for the Sig, and I got a drop bracket for it. And I enjoy using it at the range. But I dont want to buy that for the VP9 if it doesn't fit with IDPA.

I don't want to buy a POS; but I don't want to go all out for this trail shoot. FWIW, I don't see either of us using these holsters for anything other than at the range.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Rather than try to explain all of the equipment nuances, perhaps it would be better if you read over it yourself.

Current IDPA rules.

Section 8 covers equipment, such as firearms divisions and holsters/mag carriers. Skip right to 8.5 for holsters.

Posts: 5742 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Really don't worry too much about the rules first time out. They will cut you some slack. One hard rule that is unbreakable: BE SAFE. Unsafe gun handling will get you booted right away.

Prepare to have a good time. I'll wager you will like it.

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 17545 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Rather than try to explain all of the equipment nuances, perhaps it would be better if you read over it yourself.

Current IDPA rules.

Section 8 covers equipment, such as firearms divisions and holsters/mag carriers. Skip right to 8.5 for holsters.

Thanks for sharing this. That's a lot more detail and ruling than I expected, for sure. Answers a lot of questions though.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I started out (with USPSA) with a ~$25 Uncle Mikes open top kydex belt holster that served me well for years. Don't get caught up in gear right away unless what you have isn't legal for your Division, or it breaks.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4715 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post