SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Hearing protection recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted
I'm looking for recommendations on over the ear hearing protection. Budget is a concern but would look to spend between $10-$30 (my range is a bit flexible if there is reason to extend it).

I've done some online review searches. People seem to like Howard Leight branded muffs. What do people here like?

PS, I did a couple searches here as I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm woefully inadequate at using sigforum's search function). Apologies if I missed something obvious.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If you will be using them when shooting a rifle, I prefer these Howard Leight's as the thinner profile makes it easier to get a proper cheek weld.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...=howard+leight&psc=1

I don't find them to be quiet enough on their own for rifle fire though, especially when indoors, so I also double up with these HL foam plugs underneath. With the volume turned up on the muffs you can still hear instructions even with the foam earplugs in:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...s=howard+leight+foam

If shooting pistol only I wear these. They are quiet enough that I don't have to double up with foam plugs underneath which is more comfortable for wearing all day. But the thicker size makes them unfeasible for rifle shooting:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-...ywords=howard+leight

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brett. Mine will be used mostly for indoor pistol shooting. I appreciate the tips on rifle shooting though as I will do that from time to time.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Shooting indoors, or high powered rifles or shotguns, foam under muffs is a good idea.

If you don't want to limit headwear to caps,

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Soun...oting+ear+protection

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
use, and recommend, the Peltor RangeGuard, as a budget option. They have a decent NRR, but like all earmuffs should be combined with earplugs. They are comfortable for all day wear, which I do frequently, and seal well. You can usually get a set for about $45. The electronics do well to let you bear others while still wearing earplugs. https://www.amazon.com/RangeGu...ds=peltor+rangeguard

I have a set of the Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs. They offer good protection when you get a good seal around the ear, but are a little harder to get that seal. Also, while they were OK omfort wise when I first bought them, after many sessions of wearing them the earseals deteriorated and they have become slightly uncomfortable to wear for more than brief periods.

Also, skip the Peltor Tactical 100 earmuffs. They are nearly identical to the RangeGuard, but cost about $70. They do say Tactical on the package and are black, so maybe that's worth an extra $25 to some folks.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The electronics have failed in all of my Peltors. And changing batteries is a PITA.

Went with Howard Leight and they are great.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
The electronics have failed in all of my Peltors. And changing batteries is a PITA.
Some of the older Peltors had horrible battery compartments, but the newer ones like the Rangeguard are very easy to use.

As for durability, several of my coworkers have the old Peltor Tactical 6S, and have used them for many years with no problems. My Rangeguards are going two years of heavy use, with no problems.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I have both the Peltor 6S and the Peltor Tactical 100. I would say the Tactical 100 are more comfortable to wear, easier to change battery, and have the auto shut off. Downside is that you don't hear as well. I use the Tactical 100 for pistol practice. I use the 6s when coaching trap.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
If electronics aren't necessary,

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n...kband+Earmuff+Nrr25+

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywe...64eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of electronics and my peltors run I think around $60. Money well spent. I like the neck band version and always double up with plugs underneath as well. I expect to get 3-5 years out of a set and even wore them on patrol in Iraq under my helmet. One pair lasted the tour in some of the most extreme conditions imaginable. Do not cheap out on hearing protection!

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Radians Pro-Amp.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Radians custom moldable earplugs under a set of Walker Razor electronic earphones.

The Radians earplugs come in two containers of putty; mix them, work them into the ear, and a custom earplug is produced. I use them for shooting, running a rivet gun, working around turbine engines, and other loud noise environments. I usually use them with earphones over the earplugs, but the plugs work in a pinch.

Any earplug will prevent noise from reaching the eardrum through the ear canal, but sound is still transmitted through the bone in the skull, especially adjacent to the ear, and can still cause hearing damage. It's best to have both in-ear and over-the-ear protection.

The Walkers are nice as they allow me to hear range commands. Prior to trying those, I had to lift the earphone to hear. My hearing isn't great. I don't have a lot left. I liked the walkers that I bought them for all the kids for Christmas. They also amplify the sound, and the disadvantage is that they can put on the headphones and hear my wife and I talking in the other room. Remarkable, but annoying (at home). They do a good job of not amplifying the gunfire at the range.

The best in-ear protection you can get are the cheap foam roll-up plugs. Nothing gives a higher noise reduction rating. They need to be given time to expand and adjust, however. The molded radians custom plugs are quick in, quick out and only take a few minutes to set once the two parts are mixed and put in the ear. For fourteen bucks, hard to go wrong.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend not skimping at all with hearing protection. You would be better off not shooting for 6 months and saving up for excellent hearing protection.

I believe that one needs at least a 25 NRR unit. If many person are shooting in a class, you need to double up with ear plugs, or move up to 30 NRR protectors. Midway has Peltor made NRR 30 ear muffs for only $20, but they are not electronic.

I used Peltor electronics for several years, they were excellent. I then moved up to Pro Ears Gold and the extra 5 NRR is helpful.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I used Peltor electronics for several years, they were excellent. I then moved up to Pro Ears Gold and the extra 5 NRR is helpful.

My electronic muffs are all ProEars Gold.

Expensive -> YES. What little is left of my hearing is worth it.
I use plugs under muffs when shooting inside and use just the muffs outdoors.
They have never disappointed me.
(except for that one time the headband broke - I emailed the company and got a free replacement, no questions asked)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've run some 33db NRR cans for the 10ish years I've been shooting but finally got tired of how they got in the way with long guns and if you wear a hat, the seal can be broken (learned this the hard way shooting 357 Sig, that made the ear ring for a while). I ordered some Etymotic GunSport Pro electronic ear plugs. I'll have them Friday. Rated at 25 db NRR but with the heavier foam plugs, it's 30. What bugged me was how seemingly all the electronic stuff has low NRRs. They use the zinc oxide hearing aid batteries which basically means every range trip is a new pair of batteries but I ordered like 60 for $15 so at least they're cheap. Work buddy wants to shoot this weekend so maybe a range report by Monday.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post