SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Upcoming changes to NRA Basic Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming changes to NRA Basic Pistol Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
Got an e-mail from my Training Counselor that the rumors of upcoming changes to BP are true. Evidently, the NRA has come to the belated conclusion that blended learning is a complete failure. Too bad they didn't listen to us when we tried to tell them this when it was first introduced. No details of the changes are forthcoming yet but at least we know they may be hope.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 1530 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Since they've already paid to create it, they should find a sponsor that will pay for the cost of hosting and maintaining it. And then offer it for free, at least the basic level classes for each weapon type.

It isn't the best training, but it is better than some of the idiots you see on Youtube.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 20005 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
What is blended learning?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 14301 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
What is blended learning?

The idea is you do part of the class online and part of the class with an instructor.

At a University that might mean you spend 1 hours in class, and 2 hours online for a 3 credit hour class.

With this, it meant the book portion was online, and you saw an instructor for the shooting portion of the class.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 20005 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hated teaching the class after blended learning started. Under the old format, I was able to get to know the students and their needs before going to the range. That was always important with the new shooters.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 1530 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
I hated teaching the class after blended learning started. Under the old format, I was able to get to know the students and their needs before going to the range. That was always important with the new shooters.

You still could've had a short meeting with the student to get that information before heading out to the range.

In fact IMO you really should be doing that before every class with a student, even an existing one.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
Picture of rscalzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
the NRA has come to the belated conclusion that blended learning is a complete failure

My club ran one of the first
(and maybe only) blended learning courses in southern NH about a month back.

There were serious issues with getting them enrolled in phase two even after they got their PIN. The Chief Instructor had to manually print out a certificate of completion for those students.

That's one area the NRA needs to work on. But this type of training seems to be the wave of the future. PADI went to it many years ago in the form of a DVD. Not really a fan of it although I'm sure it saves the NRA a ton of money printing and storing materials.

I'd bet the move to the blended method is on hold for Personal Protection in and out of the home now.

quote:
You still could've had a short meeting with the student to get that information before heading out to the range.

Ten students, 15 minutes each adds hours on the to day. Having them there for what we normally ran in a 12 to 16 hour class gave us a great indication of their ability.

In fact one lesion found was that even in a "blended" setting, we needed much more than the eight hours they claim is needed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 4075 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 2-3 hours reviewing material covered in the online portion to make sure they got it. If I was responsible for signing their certificate, I was damn sure they understood the material. The need for this became apparent the first time I ran i and one of the students had obviously had someone else do the online test. He had no clue.

What club in NH are you referring to?

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Ten students, 15 minutes each adds hours on the to day. Having them there for what we normally ran in a 12 to 16 hour class gave us a great indication of their ability.

You don't need to spend 15 minutes, a quick hands survey is probably what works best for a class like setting. Because most of the people taking a NRA Basic XXX class don't know how much they don't know.

quote:
In fact one lesion found was that even in a "blended" setting, we needed much more than the eight hours they claim is needed.

Those numbers are always optimistic.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
Picture of rscalzo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Major Waldron, Barrington, NH

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 4075 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Major Waldron, Barrington, NH

Good club! I am over at Exeter Sportsmans Club.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
I completed Phase II of the blended learning class with a student yesterday.

The student thought parts of the online videos were very boring. One seemed to really be about advertising the NRA - not bad but off topic. Even so, there was a lot of good information overall.

I spoke to headquarters last week and the person actually developing the revised class stated to me that it was going to focus more on the instructor-led type of course.

I thought the blended learning had some real possibilities in the beginning. I hope the NRA keeps the online portion available in some form. I thought the videos could have stressed a couple of safety issues about the cylinder gap and loading six in an old fashioned six shooter, though.

Since mine was a one on one class, there was plenty of opportunity to verify what was learned online.

I used a classroom laser/laser target portion to reinforce the safety and other learning objectives and a range portion for the actual qualifications. But, having successfully tried the fundamentals already at various distances with a .45 laser cartridge, I found beneficial for the student. I used to teach the fundamentals and safety on the range dry and live fire with thousands of students over the years in the Marksmanship Qualification Program. I think interposing the laser step was helpful.

The student achieved differing but all at least qualifying levels with his single action Uberti Cattleman, a double action S&W686 and his Sig 1911 at the range. His goal was to feel safe to go to a range in his area to practice with his pistols; he gained confidence and abilities along the way and feels comfortable now.

Overall, I think the online portion gave an initial foundation that did need to be refined and extended with an instructor. But, my portion was still an 8 hour class so it seemed like it was just an extended class with the benefit of extra online preparation.

It will be interesting to see how headquarters lays out its new regime. The online steps for students and instructors are still very confusing says the student and the instructor. I can see why many instructors and students could have been put off by the process.

Posts: 2324 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Update:

I have had several emails to/from the NRA in the last week or so.

Today I received an email from the NRA's Instructor Program Coordinator.

He indicated that the roll-out on the new program or at least information on what is proposed should be published in about 30 days. It looks like there will be an all instructor-led option as well as a blended learning option.

Also, they seem to be working on simplifying the sign-up and processing steps, too.

Posts: 2324 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post