SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Lessons from 12,000 Gunfights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lessons from 12,000 Gunfights Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Some very good discussion there.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That is an impressive body of knowledge.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Can't beat common sense and actual data.
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I love watching John Correia's ASP on YouTube. Learned a lot.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
That was a great read, thanks for posting it.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
the one handed weapon manipulation comment is IMO a bit off. In the area where I work, there have been 4 shootings in the lst 10 years where an officer has been hit it the strong hand or arm and has had to transition to weak handed to continue to fight. In one of those, a reload was required.

It is about 3% of total shootings, but we still practice it, just like we still practice shooting a stationary target at 25 yards in daylight with a good backstop, which is exactly zero percent of incidents.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worth reading, thanks for sharing. I'll add rangemaster to the list of places to seek training from.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:... just like we still practice shooting a stationary target at 25 yards in daylight with a good backstop, which is exactly zero percent of incidents.

I believe that the repetition of these drill re-enforce the gross motor skills of drawing, sighting and operating the firearm to include reloads, so that in the event you are in a shooting situation, you react naturally and automatically, and this leaves you with what is remaining of your "awareness" to focus on other aspects of the engagement.

Given the overwhelming sensory input and decreased ability to process, anything that is "automatic" can help.

I worked with a guy in the USAF who was a simulator tech at Beal AFB on the Blackbird, and he told me that they started introducing "failure conditions" during the middle stage of new pilot training after they were familiar and becoming comfortable, and then increasing the rate and complexity of the problems until "mission failure". He said, the no one can ever fly the profile and "make it out alive", but that the exercise was to condition instinctive reactions and especially learn what to work on that matters most, rather then "solve" each problem as it presents, because things happen at a much faster rate in the SR, and with greater impact, than in many of the types, the guys came from.

So, with the shooting standing targets at 25 yards, may be 0% of encounters, but are almost 100% operating the weapon that you trained with, and that is a large part of the use of force.

I have learned in life that sometimes you learned things you really need, doing things that seem frivolous and wasteful in the moment.

I'll read and watch this report tonight.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
^^^
Show me.....wax on/wax off. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Very good information.

I took classes at Rangemaster in Memphis before they moved, and Mr. Givens knows his stuff. We did "gunfights" at the end of one of the more advanced training sessions, with two shooters on separate lanes. Scenario was to drop your grocery bag, draw from concealment, shoot the close perp twice, then sight and shoot the perp's accomplice getting out of his car 25 or so feet away. Each of us had a different bad guy 2 feet from us, but there was only one steel target at the distant marker. First to drop the reactive steel target was the winner and advanced to face another shooter, the loser got to watch from there.

It was impressive how juiced up you could get in that situation, and how being that way affected your reflexes, aim, etc. Very educational stuff.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post