SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Fall 2016 Colorado SigForum Shoot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fall 2016 Colorado SigForum Shoot Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
OK, I will be in attendance.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Email went out a day or two ago, let me know if you did not receive.

All inquiries should be responded to now.

Looking forward to seeing all my 'virtual friends' on Saturday.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I will be there in Spirit! Blow up some tannerite for me

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I am going to TRY to go! This time I CAN go, but things just got a bit hectic over the last 48 hours. I should be there, planning on packing up my gear tonight!
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
Blow up some tannerite for me

If I can make it, I think I have one or two "small" containers of tannerite left, I'll try to bring those.

I also have a slidefire, that I have NOT shot yet (not even zeroed in), and the upper has a crappy barrel, so this might be fun! Smile

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how disappointed that I'm not able to go today. Frown

Please pop a few rounds off for me and I'd appreciate seeing a few pics of you guys with your smiling mugs and your cool gear! Cool

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I can't tell you how disappointed that I'm not able to go today. Frown

Please pop a few rounds off for me and I'd appreciate seeing a few pics of you guys with your smiling mugs and your cool gear! Cool

Same here! Would love some pictures too!

I'm Packing for my stupid early flight to Denver tomorrow as we speak!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for coming out today.

LBJ it was great to see you. Your health/stamina was encouraging. I'm glad A-girl was able to ring that gong with consistency by end of day. Stay strong my friend.

We had perfect weather (sunny, low 70's, ever so slight breeze), a good turn out, and a few new faces. I was busy having fun and did not take a single picture. Not sure if anyone did?

The landowner was very appreciative of our donation, even inviting us back again, so thank you.

We had a cease-fire due to a major KABOOM. I'm very glad everyone was able to go home without serious injury. The equipment is scap metal and splinters, but our friends were OK. Only very minor injury to the shooters face and their neighbors' arm. This is a very experienced shooter, and my heart sinks for his lesson. I encourage him to tell his story when he's ready.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
BTW, did someone leave a pistol LULA behind?

Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
This was a very pleasant day and enjoyed it very much.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Thanks and nice to see everyone at the shoot, it was indeed a pleasure.

It was a good day and the adjustments to the sights of my AR10 prior to the range visit paid off. I mean, I already knew about how far off it was from POI.
It's finally sighted in.

The Kaboom was a weird deal. I am told it was a 308 was shot that was mixed in with 7mm for the rifle in question.
I am surprised that it chambered, let alone went bang.

Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
We had a great day and met some new friends. Thanks everyone for sharing your guns with the rest of us! Special thanks to Sweden for pulling this together again, despite his busy travel schedule, and for securing the range!

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it was a beautiful day for a SigForum get-together! Lots of interesting firearms, suppressors and shooting. Getting to see Tom and Ali, and shoot with them was a hoot, and spending time with Tanner and Matt and the Jensens was great. So, it only takes a second. Guns are dangerous, and shooting them without your full attention and presence can lead to serious consequences. I had sighted in my 7mm Magnum and then went on to shoot the 716 .308 and .556 All these rifles were on tables near the bench. When we took a break to change targets, I removed the magazines from the semi auto's and opened the actions. I dropped the magazine door of the 7mm and put those rounds in my pocket.

The only thing I can think of now, on reflection is that I dropped a .308 round in the pocket with the 7mm shells too.

Everyone was back behind the firing line and we went back to shooting . . . a little pistol, some .22 and then I picked up the 7mm to continue shooting at distance.

I pulled a round out of my pocket, and without looking closely, closed the bolt, lined up on the target and pulled the trigger. My gun's action disintegrated!!

I realized that something terrible had happened and called a cease fire. Everything stopped and I was stunned! The shooter next to me had a ding on her arm, but no bleeding that we could see, I had a divot in my cheek but that stopped bleeding pretty quickly. We were all wearing safety glasses, so no one's eyesight was threatened thank God.

After I had a few minutes to take a breath, I put the now wrecked Winchester in the truck and reached into my pocket and counted 4 7mm rounds just as I had dumped them before we took a break.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda . . and I am so sorry are pretty hollow words after something like this happens. I am so glad that no one suffered any serious injury from the shrapnel coming from my rifle.

I will take it up to West Wind when I get back from my next business trip, but at the very least, it is going to need a bunch of new parts, and likely a new barrel if it is fixable at all.

So, I am so sorry for the drama and the dings, and LBJ, I am so glad that I got to meet you and was honored to hear your story!

I've learned a lesson I'll never forget. And, I'll put an excerpt in the Lounge to use this as a teachable moment.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
That's what I did after an NG once.

It was nice to see you.

Don't beat yourself up too much, things happen.
Nobody was hurt and all is well.

I still can't believe that the cartridge chambered and fired.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, when I requested seeing pics of the event this wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Obviously it's always better to not have incidents like this happen at all... but when they do the best thing we can do is learn from them so thank you for posting the cause of this. I know I'm guilty of shoving things into my pockets at the range and not looking closely at them when I take them back out. Sometimes I laugh at what comes out of my pockets.

I hope you all were still able to enjoy shooting on a beautiful Colorado fall day!

I am so thankful to hear that there weren't any more serious injuries than described!!! Dresden, I truly hope that your rifle is repairable. Please let us know how it goes.

lbj, I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing and that you were up to attending the event. I wanted to see what a fresh Hawaiian tan looked like up close. Wink

So... any non- KABOOM pics to share with those of us who didn't make it?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I still can't believe that the cartridge chambered and fired.

And that's the interesting bit here.

7mm RemMag LOA = 3.29"
308 Win LOA = 2.80"

Now keep in mind the 7mm headspaces off the belt, not the rim. The 308 headspaces off the rim.

Best we could tell, the increased diameter of the 308 bullet probably used up the freebore in the 7mm chamber before resting against the lands. We did not measure with calipers, but looking at the two side by side; the distance from this estimated 7mm lands engagement point on a 308 Win to the rim looks to be a very similar distance as a 7mm from the ogive to the rim. This similar distance allowed the cartridge to go into battery, doesn't matter how it headspaced, the round fit in the chamber securely enough to take the firing pin strike. Bad things ensued.

If you think about it, the 7mmRemMag has a case length of 2.50 inches. A 7mm chamber has enough room to fit almost an entire 308 Win cartridge (LOA of 2.80", so missing 0.3"). Even only slipping the tip of the .308 bullet into the .284 bore of the 7mm, it easy to see how it was in battery 'enough.'

I would have never though 7mmMag and 308 were so dangerously incompatible, I'd have assumed the extra 1/2 inch of length-over-all would prevent the 308 from firing......... We all know about assumptions.

The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Oh and Dresden, you must be some magic photo-bug; the rifle looks much better in those pics than in person. When you have the time, please post a photo that better shows the damage to the left side of the stock and the bolt/extractor.

PSS- I may have a line on an early Win Mod 70 in 7mm with left hand bolt. At the very least I'm near certain you could borrow it for your upcoming hunt.

The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweden:
BTW, did someone leave a pistol LULA behind?

BUMP?

Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
That was the black, unmarked magazine loader, right?

(Not mine, and not Tanner's.)

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
I believe the loader was Dresden's

posted Hide Post
So a brief update regarding Antelope hunting in Wyoming. I used a Remington 700 in .30-06 and went up about a week after the Shoot. I shot a male and female, but only took pictures of the boy. Weather was so warm, I had to take my shirt off to clean and butcher both of them. I had most of the goats made into jerky and sausage and will bring some to the spring shoot for Karma purposes.

Dave Sullivan at Westwind Rifles say that the action is OK, but the barrel and all of the bolt and magazine parts are toast. Found a LH stock on EBay and everything else at Numrich or MGW. Still looking for a barrel, but this project is well underway. Pictures to follow, I had a terrific time with all of you and hope we can all do it again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dresden,

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post