SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    1911 Single Stack Championship - Hoover, Alabama - June 22, 2019
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Single Stack Championship - Hoover, Alabama - June 22, 2019 Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
This year’s Single Stack Championship at the Brock’s Gap Training Facility in Hoover, AL will be held SOON - Saturday 6/22/2019. Link with details, registration below. Remit match fee no later than 6/14 to secure a commemorative match T-shirt.

Disclaimer: I’m not a member there, but events like this are often open to non-members. I shot this match a couple of years ago and it was fun.

I may be wrong, but methinks I spied at least one of SF’s esteemed members already signed-up! Wink

http://www.brocksgap.com/event...-stack-championship/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I can neither confirm nor deny another SF member is shooting said match given the likely match outcome. Razz Big Grin

(I mean, first match shooting Major (.45) AND first match with a 1911/thumb safety pistol - what could possibly go wrong?! LOL Big Grin )

I've always wanted to shoot this match for a variety of reason, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to seeing you again. Wink
Been way too long since we've shot together.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
I can neither confirm nor deny another SF member is shooting said match given the likely match outcome. Razz Big Grin

(I mean, first match shooting Major (.45) AND first match with a 1911/thumb safety pistol - what could possibly go wrong?! LOL Big Grin )

I've always wanted to shoot this match for a variety of reason, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to seeing you again. Wink
Been way too long since we've shot together.

Looking forward to it! You’re squadded with a coworker of mine who shoots a lot out there.

See you in a couple o’ weeks!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It will. I shot 1911's (Government models) for 6 years in competition, and there's always that one odd draw when you forget to flip the safety off, and the pause for a millisecond wondering why it didn't go bang. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If only they would open the division up for all .45 single stacks so I could shoot my P220.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

It will. I shot 1911's (Government models) for 6 years in competition, and there's always that one odd draw when you forget to flip the safety off, and the pause for a millisecond wondering why it didn't go bang. Smile

Oh, fully expect it to. Big Grin

There are a few guys I squad with that like a little variety and will shoot CDP every once in awhile. Without fail, that will happen at least once in a match, followed by a few choice words LOL.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
If only they would open the division up for all .45 single stacks so I could shoot my P220.

Just another reason I like IDPA over USPSA. Wink

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I also wish IDPA would open up CDP to 10mm single stacks. There are a few out there. What's so special about .45, when 10mm can easily make the same or much better power factor. I know, I know, it's Bill's "special" division.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I shot this match last year in the rain. I had fun. It's an interesting match. The scoring system differs from stage to stage and generally alphas are all they count. Unfortunately I will not be making it back out for this year's match. They did have some decent stuff on the prize table for a "fun" match.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Brad Balsley is going to crush the field. He won by 20 seconds last year despite 40 seconds worth of penalties vs a field that had a few uspsa grand masters in it. Squad with him if you want to see some world class shooting.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to things on Saturday! Have gotten in a little more range time and am getting in some extra dry-firing as well.

Methinks I’m gonna go wild and pack this Baer TRS (complete with ivories!) to the match. Adding one (maybe two?) mag pouches to what’s shown here.

A quick question to folks going - any sense of a max round-count per stage that should be expected? My last Single Stack 2 years back, I think it was 30 or so rounds perhaps? Received my shooter’s info pack via email and noticed they are letting the course o’ fire be a surprise this time LOL.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing re: round count.

I'd planned on 150 rounds minimum - 30 per stage X 5 stages.
Plus I'll probably toss another box in the range backpack for good measure.
(And maybe a few more boxes in the car, just in case. Big Grin )

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
there was a stage with a lot of small steel and carnival targets on it last year. i generally bring 300 to every local sized match just in case.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
It belatedly dawned on me to email Mario on the round-count question. His response was if you plan on about 30 rounds per stage, you should be in good shape.

I’ll likely toss in some extra ammo, too, just in case.

Edited to add: there’s a lot of “just-in-casing” among us - I like it - the Preparedness Mindset haha! Smile

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
It belatedly dawned on me to email Mario on the round-count question. His response was if you plan on about 30 rounds per stage, you should be in good shape.

I’ll likely toss in some extra ammo, too, just in case.

Edited to add: there’s a lot of “just-in-casing” among us - I like it - the Preparedness Mindset haha! Smile

It doesn't take too many range equipment failure reshoots to rack up the round count. Last match I shot, I had 3 reshoots.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Oh, indeed - makes good sense to bring along more ammo should that happen.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Well, someone fill us in on the match results? Photos?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Like tha1000 said, Brad Balsley beat everyone by almost 15 seconds.

I came in 19th overall out of 60 shooters, and 6th in Major.
Not too bad, considering all the things not going in my favor LOL Big Grin

My painful-to-watch video:
https://youtu.be/qPaUV6qG4I8

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My painful-to-watch video:

Some good shooting there, at what appears to be considerable distances.

Yeah, I hate the dueling trees, too. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I came in 61st out of 60 shooters.

Ha - not quite that bad, but not far from it. In my usual fashion, I had one stage that went quite well, one that went severely unwell, and the remainder a mixed-bag.

In summary, my experience closely mirrored Snake207’s - just slower, and with less accuracy. Smile

But I had a grand time. That’s gotta count for something! Smile