Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Academy Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here take any of the following courses at the Sig Academy in Epping, New Hampshire:

Handgun 102
Handgun 103
Handgun 104
Skill Builder: Pistol & Pistol II
Dynamic Performance Pistol
Point vs Precision
Shooting on the Move
Skill Builder: Concealed Carry Pistol
Concealed Carry Pistol

My experience to date is I have a concealed carry permit for 3 years now...and have the 16 hours required for said permit in Illinois.

I train (shoot) at the range once every other week (about 24 times a year)...and have done so for about 4 years. At least 20,000 rounds plus.

My goal is to increase abilities for self defense in concealed carry situations and for home defense, with a handgun.

Questions:
Which are overlap courses and unnecessary to take both?

Does one NEED to start with the Handgun 101 class or can one start with the Handgun 102 class due to some experience?

Which courses do you highly recommend?

Anything else you might add would be helpful.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 18 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Here is a very good write-up about going to Sig Academy:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...1105858/m/7390086444

I've taken all of those classes in your list. You probably don't need the 101 class, but all the others are worth taking. Though if you take the Concealed Carry Pistol class, you probably won't need the Concealed Carry Skill Builder for a while.

I would also suggest classes like Low Light Pistol, Bullets and Vehicles, and Bullets and Bandages. I highly recommend taking OpSpec Practical Fundamentals class.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response two-two-niner-Romeo. Surprised I only got 1 response. Will check out your link.

Posts: 18 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend and I did 102 and really enjoyed it. I have shot IDPA and consider myself a decent
shooter my girlfriend has only shot at the local range doing some holster work here and there. She was about middle of the pack and really enjoyed the class.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2005 I took a Concealed Carry Pistol class at Sig Academy that was 3 days. It was quite thorough. I have taken Defensive Handgun Skills (104?) that was only 1 day at a remote facility (and no longer offered at this facility). This class...wasn't so great. I think there is overlap in their courses as they have too many. I have taken Long Range Pistol and Bullets and Vehicles. Fantastic! Got to sit in the drivers seat of an old clunker (not moving as all fuel had been removed) and shoot out through the window. Keep you mouth closed as glass flies! Too, we had a cool instructor who drove us around in his Mercedes (!) as we shot out the passenger window (rolled down of course) at a few targets. Drive by shooting?!?!

I liked most of the courses that I took at Sig Academy.

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took 102 and really enjoyed it.

It gave me things to practice and some ideas of other ways of doing things.

A lot of drills had different ways to do things and they had us try several and see what way worked best for us.

By the end of the class we were all shooting pretty well.

The main target was an eight inch circle on a bigger target.

I was using their 320C with a red dot. I had never used a red dot before.

It was hot as hell on the outdoor range under the summer sun. They supplied plenty of bottled water and made us take breaks to drink.

A good time was had by all.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post