SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    PNW handgun class for women (and men)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PNW handgun class for women (and men) Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
I'm looking for two or three day handgun course for my better half who is rather new to firearms. Frankly, I guess it could be anywhere but preferably I'd prefer to drive from the Seattle area to someplace not too far away, but if in the end the best answer is Sig Academy in New Hampshire, then so be it.

This is for her birthday, as we tend to enjoy going somewhere, learning something, doing something new together. Last year it was Porsche sport driving school in Birmingham, Alabama which was a kick in the pants.

This year she has expressed interest in learning how to shoot. For a variety of reasons, I want this to be a pleasant and enjoyable experience; not some tackitool wanna be hour without deference to a woman new to the sport.

I was wondering if Thunder Ranch down in Oregon with Cliff still got good reviews? I've had a few classes from Bruce Gray (who would be excellent but I don't see him teaching personally anymore. I could be wrong about that.)

I do want someone who is comfortable with women and newbies, while not boring for someone like myself. I can always use more trigger time, so I don't really mind remedial as long as I can be there sharing the experience with her.

I'm targeting the summertime so please don't highlight something in Arizona or Texas as my delicate skin can't take all of that sunlight. Wink

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude Insights is right up the road.

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGee23:
Dude Insights is right up the road.

Tell me more bro ... who is Insights and why do you like them (for teaching a mature woman)? Remember, this is a birthday trip, not necessarily an opportunity to hang out at home.

Good to see/hear that you're still kicking … Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean if you want to take a trip somewhere there might be a better reason for such a trip to make it worth your while. They're right in Issaquah and Greg Hamilton who runs it is a pretty cool dude along with his instructors. http://www.insightstraining.com/ Haven't been there in some time but I have a friend that recently took an intro class with them and was very happy. They'd be the best bet within a few states of here.

I am a bit confused though, are you planning on taking this class with her or do you want a women's only class in which case you wouldn't be invited. Depending on her personality she may prefer to be in a female only class or not.

Thunder Ranch would definitely not be a place I might direct you to for the tackitool reason. Clint is squared away, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Just pull up his FB and check him out, you'll understand.

Bruce still teaches but he's got a schedule laid out and pretty busy and has unexpected recovery seasons he's forced into.

At Marysville we are having a women's only thing coming up with Lisa and her group, Babes with Bullets. https://babeswithbullets.com/h...tle-july-28-30-2017/

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marysville, WA | Registered: May 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thanks McGee ... here is the thinking - a destination trip (was thinking we could drive to someplace like TR or fly to somewhere). That makes it semi-vacation like; get away to somewhere were we only focus on class. Did that with driving school - worked really well. We're into experiences vs material gifts at this point in life.

Want pro instructuction, who deal with women well (e.g. Bruce). Want 2-3 days to become fairly proficient/comfortable with a handgun. (Liked what Bruce did in 3 days.) Did that with driving school - worked really well - Porsche runs a great experience which I highly recommend.

No, not women's only. I have to go and be there so I want to shoot and have some fun; not just blast 1500 rounds.

I was thinking SIG Academy but I don't own a SIG that will fit her hand. (Although I could check the P225.) I do have my sons S&W M&P with an adjustable grip, but think it a bit weird to go to SIG with a S&W Wink

Was wondering who else taught a great class and makes it fun. This is important due to a variety of reasons. She has gravitated to wanting to shoot after seeing me carry daily for a long time, all the toys in the house and a few trips to the range, however it needs to be non-stressful and relaxed, while teaching pistol fundamentals and showing success.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
OpSpec Practical Fundamentals

https://opspectraining.com/practical-fundamentals/

I took the class from Jerry Jones last year. Jerry was very respectful of all of the students, and made an effort to meet them at their current level of proficiency. We had one woman in our class of 12, and she seemed to respond well to Jerry, as did everyone else in the class.

We are hosting a class in Ohio in May, but I'm sure you can find a closer one.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Another option close to you is the Firearms Academy of Seattle, it is in Onalaska WA.

http://www.firearmsacademy.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a huge no on that. Me and my friends have taken LOTS of classes from Marty but now that I have experience and know what's going on, it's not even on the table.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The Practical Fundamentals class will be taught in Northern California in June. This is closer than NH.

I have taken the class several times, it is very excellent.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
quote:

The Practical Fundamentals class will be taught in Northern California in June. This is closer than NH.

I have taken the class several times, it is very excellent.

THanks; would be a great option if Bruce still personally led the instruction but I understand the constraints.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Practical Fundamentals (or any of our courses for that matter) remains the same no matter who is teaching it. Unless someone is hung up on individual personalities, good or bad, the content is the same no matter who the instructors are. To people that are looking for the best advanced look at fundamentals type training, it really doesn't matter as the course content remains constant no matter who is teaching it. it was set up this way for a reason.

OpSpec Training is far more the sum of Bruce or I, and it was set up to not be personality driven. Bruce still teaches quite a bit (still about half), but, like me, he picks and chooses what he wants to teach. It isn't the "Bruce Gray show", even at the classes he is at, no more than it is the "Jerry Jones show" at the classes I am at. When we teach classes together, it is neither of our shows. The important thing is the content getting out and the students learning and growing. We are so fortunate to have several other outstanding folks that we get to work with. Folks that are beyond talented on their own, and I am happy they have decided to work with us. These other instructors carry some of the load at classes, as well as sharing the duty of keeping everyone safe.

We have built a cadre of outstanding professionals from state, local and federal LE, military guys, and high end competitors that help us out at classes. Each bring their own flavor, and teach some of the blocks of instruction. We are extremely fortunate for this. Neither Bruce, nor I, consider that "we lead the instruction personally" at the classes we are at, as we teach the program to the letter and let the product speak for itself.

For 10 years, Bruce and I tried to teach every class personally. We stopped this practice a couple of years ago. We both understand that the product is the same, and it stands on its own two feet. We both understand, and want, the product to outlive the both of us. We both have that much commitment to our students, and to the product we put out, that it is not about us. It is not a matter or not having, or making the time, we both want to teach more than what we do, we divide the work fairly equally and run with it.

When you look at enrollment numbers, our students seem to agree that the product is outstanding.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a coed class for both or "women only" class?

Defensive handgun class or general manipulation and marskmanship with no emphasis defensive mindset?

Many defensive handgun instructors have a rather "direct" approach to mindset training. Is that something that she is open to? Or is it something she'll be turned off by?

I'm in the early stages of creating an online utility to help users find training classes. It currently has about 25 instructors and 400 classes listed. Firearms Training Hub

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that I have a real keyboard.

- OST Practical Fundamentals. This is an outstanding class with outstanding instructors. I don't know how the curriculum has changed in the ten years since I attended PF, but I felt that, while they could accommodate new shooters, this class was best suited for people with good quality prior training. At the time, the really wanted to drill down in to some specific philosophy and processes that are beyond the level of rank newbies. To truly maximize what Jerry and Bruce want this class to be about, I think students should already have established solid mechanics.

- Rangemaster Combative Pistol Jun 24-25 in Everett, WA. (also Kalispel MT on July 1-2 Always my first recommendation. If you wife is open to defensive handgun class then I think this is the single best place to start. Tom and Lynn Givens run a great class that has a great reputation in the training industry. They run a straight forward, no bullshit class.

- Defense Training Int'l is running Defensive Handgun/Women's Defensive Handgun in Yakima, WA on Sept 16-17. John and Vikki Farnam also run very well respected classes.

-Firearms Academy of Seattle. I don't know much about Marty Hayes' organization. They seem to have a pretty solid reputation, as far as I can tell. I've been pretty impressed with the writings of Kathy Jackson, one of their adjunct instructors. I'm sure they'd get your wife off to a great start too.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
Are you looking for a coed class for both or "women only" class?

Defensive handgun class or general manipulation and marskmanship with no emphasis defensive mindset?

Many defensive handgun instructors have a rather "direct" approach to mindset training. Is that something that she is open to? Or is it something she'll be turned off by?

I'm in the early stages of creating an online utility to help users find training classes. It currently has about 25 instructors and 400 classes listed. Firearms Training Hub

Thank you for your replies and thoughts.

Co-Ed, so I'm not standing around doing nothing. We are at very different experience and skill levels. She's maybe sent 50+ pistol round down range.

However she's quite interested and can get competitive once she feels comfortable. I don't want anything "high speed low drag". I need the instructors to understand women and get a great introduction to handguns, perhaps as many as 1k+ rounds over 2-3 days so she is competent with a pistol when complete.

This needs to be fun and not boot camp. We do "experiences" for fun these days instead of material items. Porsche Sport Driving School is a perfect example of skills, education, practical experience and entertainment. I'm really thinking Sig Academy in NH, but open minded still.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Kathy at SIG academy - they have an excellent series of classes that would be perfect in sequential order back to back, contiguous days. From 101-104. I believe that's the route we will likely take. Thank you everybody for your input.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Academy will do you well. Kathleen is top drawer, and they have a very diverse offering of classes to fit all needs.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post