SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Please recommend 1911 and competition forum like SF
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend 1911 and competition forum like SF Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I'd like to do some reading on my new old passion for 1911s and practical competition. I would like to find a forum or two that has a classified sub-forum for competition gear. My focus will be on the practical "stock" 1911 weapon, not the racegun versions.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Brian Enos forums

While the 1911-Style Pistols technical sub-forum (linked) also includes 2011 pistols, they do have threads on 1911 pistols. There are also sub-forums for IDPA and USPSA competitions. If you look around, I'm sure there will be some info that you find useful.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between a "practical stock" version and a "race gun" version of the 1911?

Enos is the destination for competition discussion of the well moderated and polite variety.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
What is the difference between a "practical stock" version and a "race gun" version of the 1911?

Oh, probably about $4000. Big Grin

I'm assuming he is referring to factory 1911's, vs custom shop pistols with sleeved barrels, stroked slides, etc (e.g., Kimber or S.A. vs Atlas or Akai).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Oh, probably about $4000. Big Grin

I'm assuming he is referring to factory 1911's, vs custom shop pistols with sleeved barrels, stroked slides, etc (e.g., Kimber or S.A. vs Atlas or Akai).

I think you can buy any single stack that Akai or Atlas make for less than $4000. I don't think anybody is sleeving barrels on a competition legal 1911 as bushings are still required.

The point I was trying to make is the only difference between a "practical stock" 1911 and a "race" 1911 is a decent trigger job, a decent set of sights and a magwell... all things that anyone should want on any gun, especially a competition gun. On 2011's though????? well, that's a different story.

Single Stack division is the nascar of the shooting sports... everybody is essentially running the same damn gun.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Reconnected with a somewhat dormant www.m1911.org and www.1911forum.com. www.brianenos.com looks like a good place for my questions.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Reconnected with a somewhat dormant www.m1911.org and www.1911forum.com. www.brianenos.com looks like a good place for my questions.

enos is a good place with tons of knowledgeable people that have seen and done it all.