SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Best knee pads for run and gun games
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best knee pads for run and gun games Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am looking for some knee pads to go over pants for run and gun games. I had a pair of Hellstorm knee pads that served me well. I didn't love the straps but I did love the hard, flat, smooth exterior. They were great for dropping down at a full run and baseball catcher slides into a barrier.

What do you like?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...680007024#5680007024

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Nope, I don't see anything that answers my question.
Clarification?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry
No thoughts on knee pads, but having one replaced knee and one bad knee, I figured I would be looking at some knee pad options this year.

Since your looking
Post a comment on any options that seem interesting.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Up front...

I don't participate in firearms competition, but I am a rifle instructor and I also take training courses every year. The following is based on my experiences...

There are many different brands of tactical knee pads, but over the last 20 years or so, I have owned/used the following:

Hatch (Centurion knee pads)

Alta (Superflex Knee Pads)

Arc'teryx (LEAF Combat Knee Cap)

The Hatch Centurion are, in my opinion, marginal at best.

The Alta Superflex are a about the same in price as the Hatch pads, but I found them to be more comfortable and in my case, more durable.

The Arc'teryx LEAF pads are way more expensive (currently about 3x the cost) than the Hatch or Alta pads. In spite of the price difference, I found these pads more durable and more comfortable than the Alta or Hatch pads. They have been my current pad of choice for about the last 8 or 9 years.

So, if you are not going to do a lot of classes/training (or are not going to spend all day wearing pads), I would go with the Alta pads. If it is going to be an all day thing, or, you are planning to do a lot of training classes/time on the range, get the Arc'teryx LEAF pads.

YMMV/Prices higher in AK,HI,PR/IANAL/the dog don't bite/etc

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
After much research and recommendations by friends, I bought the Arcteryx. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet in a match but they fit well and feel good.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking for "all day comfort" though that would be nice. I'm more looking for something that:
1) Can be worn while running short distances and
2) Won't slip off/down/around or grip the ground and stop me dead if I want to slide on my knees, into a barrier.
Wide, flattish, hard, smooth.

Thanks for the information.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I grabbed the wrong search result , sorry .
the one I wanted had info about gel something or other and they were , oh I can't remember the price now

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The Arcterycx have a rubberish texture to them and probably won't slide well unless in loose dirt ect. Plywood and such, they'll grab.

They are low profile and pretty comfortable with an elastic upper strap and lower non-elastic strap.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Blackhawk V2, the new version of the Hellstorm. I hope they are at least equal to the old version.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I've used the Altas for around 10 years. They worked, but aren't anything to write home about.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an expert on kneepads go to Kamala Harris.com!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Windwolf:

You're relatively new here, and none of us wants to be "that guy."

But I'm going to be "that guy" this evening: In general, inserting politics into an apolitical thread is a good way to get on the bad side.

Please don't take this harshly; it's simply something you need to be aware of.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use US military surplus knee pads and find them quite stout and comfortable for all day use.

Pete T. (aka Ted1Trading)

Posts: 506 | Location: CT & FL USA | Registered: February 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the aforementioned Knee Caps as well, but I don't perform knee-slides, and they are probably not your best choice for that application.

One thing I do with my Knee Caps though, that can be done with any knee pad, may prove useful to you. I sewed four short channels onto each leg of a pair of pants, to prevent any side-to-side or vertical shift of the pad. This allows you to slacken the knee pad straps a bit too, which is nice. Gives the effect of something like a Crye pant, but the versatility of being able to pick the pant, and the pads.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double Alpha Academy sells some knee pads the uspsa shooters seem to like/use

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post