SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Best knee pads for run and gun games
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best knee pads for run and gun games Login/Join 
posted
Hey all-

I am looking for some knee pads to go over pants for run and gun games. I had a pair of Hellstorm knee pads that served me well. I didn't love the straps but I did love the hard, flat, smooth exterior. They were great for dropping down at a full run and baseball catcher slides into a barrier.

What do you like?

Bruce

Every day, the New York Times carries a motto in a box on its front page. "All the News That's Fit to Print," it says. It's been saying it for decades, day in and day out. I imagine most readers of the canonical sheet have long ceased to notice this bannered and flaunted symbol of its mental furniture. I myself check every day to make sure that the bright, smug, pompous, idiotic claim is still there. Then I check to make sure that it still irritates me. If I can still exclaim, under my breath, why do they insult me and what do they take me for and what the hell is it supposed to mean unless it's as obviously complacent and conceited and censorious as it seems to be, then at least I know I still have a pulse. You may wish to choose a more rigorous mental workout but I credit this daily infusion of annoyance with extending my lifespan. -Christopher Hitchens

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3785 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...680007024#5680007024

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 51106 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, I don't see anything that answers my question.
Clarification?

Bruce

Every day, the New York Times carries a motto in a box on its front page. "All the News That's Fit to Print," it says. It's been saying it for decades, day in and day out. I imagine most readers of the canonical sheet have long ceased to notice this bannered and flaunted symbol of its mental furniture. I myself check every day to make sure that the bright, smug, pompous, idiotic claim is still there. Then I check to make sure that it still irritates me. If I can still exclaim, under my breath, why do they insult me and what do they take me for and what the hell is it supposed to mean unless it's as obviously complacent and conceited and censorious as it seems to be, then at least I know I still have a pulse. You may wish to choose a more rigorous mental workout but I credit this daily infusion of annoyance with extending my lifespan. -Christopher Hitchens

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats."
-PJ O'Rourke
“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Posts: 3785 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry
No thoughts on knee pads, but having one replaced knee and one bad knee, I figured I would be looking at some knee pad options this year.

Since your looking
Post a comment on any options that seem interesting.

RC

Posts: 1820 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Up front...

I don't participate in firearms competition, but I am a rifle instructor and I also take training courses every year. The following is based on my experiences...

There are many different brands of tactical knee pads, but over the last 20 years or so, I have owned/used the following:

Hatch (Centurion knee pads)

Alta (Superflex Knee Pads)

Arc'teryx (LEAF Combat Knee Cap)

The Hatch Centurion are, in my opinion, marginal at best.

The Alta Superflex are a about the same in price as the Hatch pads, but I found them to be more comfortable and in my case, more durable.

The Arc'teryx LEAF pads are way more expensive (currently about 3x the cost) than the Hatch or Alta pads. In spite of the price difference, I found these pads more durable and more comfortable than the Alta or Hatch pads. They have been my current pad of choice for about the last 8 or 9 years.

So, if you are not going to do a lot of classes/training (or are not going to spend all day wearing pads), I would go with the Alta pads. If it is going to be an all day thing, or, you are planning to do a lot of training classes/time on the range, get the Arc'teryx LEAF pads.

YMMV/Prices higher in AK,HI,PR/IANAL/the dog don't bite/etc

Posts: 1186 | Location: Va | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After much research and recommendations by friends, I bought the Arcteryx. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet in a match but they fit well and feel good.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 7677 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking for "all day comfort" though that would be nice. I'm more looking for something that:
1) Can be worn while running short distances and
2) Won't slip off/down/around or grip the ground and stop me dead if I want to slide on my knees, into a barrier.
Wide, flattish, hard, smooth.

Thanks for the information.

Bruce

-PJ O'Rourke
-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I grabbed the wrong search result , sorry .
the one I wanted had info about gel something or other and they were , oh I can't remember the price now

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 51106 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Arcterycx have a rubberish texture to them and probably won't slide well unless in loose dirt ect. Plywood and such, they'll grab.

They are low profile and pretty comfortable with an elastic upper strap and lower non-elastic strap.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 7677 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Blackhawk V2, the new version of the Hellstorm. I hope they are at least equal to the old version.

Bruce

-PJ O'Rourke
-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I've used the Altas for around 10 years. They worked, but aren't anything to write home about.

Posts: 4331 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post