SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Competition, Training near Elizabethtown, KY
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Competition, Training near Elizabethtown, KY Login/Join 
posted
Going to be moving to Elizabethtown KY later this year from SE Michigan, where we are fortunate enough to have multiple outdoor/private clubs within an hour drive that host IDPA/USPSA and a pretty active statewide training scene.

During my research I was a little surprised to find that there don't seem to be a whole lot of options in the Elizabethtown/Louisville area for IDPA/USPSA, or even outdoor private clubs/ranges like I am used to seeing up here.

I know there's an indoor range in Elizabethtown proper, but like most public ranges, they don't allow the kind of practice that I am used to up here (e.g. drawing from the holster, shooting on the move, shooting around barricades, etc). But it's better than nothing and I'm happy there's one in town.

I was able to find a few outdoor ranges near Ft. Knox and Louisville, but at least on the surface they seem to be ranges that cater mainly to trap/skeet or have very restrictive rules. I know about Knob Creek, but that's not really the kind of facility I'm interested in.

As for competition the closest I could find for hosted IDPA matches are in Indiana, across from Louisville; a facility in Park City; and a large club in Wilmore near Lexington.

Am I missing something? I grew up in Lexington but that was long before I got into shooting so I never had a grasp of the shooting culture down in KY. Do most folks just find a buddy with some land and have at it? Or am I spoiled up here simply because the population density is greater and we have a greater percentage of the population who shoot competitively? Happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, shameless plug for us down here in Paducah on the training end.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...1105858/m/3380061944

As to matches, you aren't kidding that it is few and far between. From Etown, you may be just as well going to Nashville to Music City Shooters. I usually shoot the monthly IDPA matches at Henry County Gun Club, but that is a horrible drive from Etown. Owensboro Gun Club has a monthly USPSA sanctioned match, which wouldn't be all that far from you.

Aside from that, what you have already seen is it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post