SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Tactical Handgun Training - Knoxville, TN area?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical Handgun Training - Knoxville, TN area? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
I have friends in Knoxville with two teenage sons. I was visiting last weekend, and was telling them about competing in IDPA.

Light bulbs went off. They'd love to learn more. They are competent shooters, but no practical skills (e.g., draw from holster, reloads, etc.)

I'd send them to a Practical Fundamentals, but it would be hard for them to get up to Paducah.

any intel on "Dodd & Associates" near Sale Creek, TN?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll suggest

Local Nashville area instructors:
- Citizen's Safety Academy in Murfreesburo. They primarily do fairly basic stuff but I'd hit up Aqil for higher level stuff too.
- Smartt Firarms Training for one-on-one or small private groups.
- Valor Ridge in Harrogate, TN for multi day classes.

Itinerant instructors holding classes nearby
Feb 8-9: Camden, TN: Defense Training Int'l (John/Vikki Farnam) - Defensive Handgun
Feb 9: Woodbury: First Person Safety (Lee Weems) - Critical Pistol Skills (a bit more advanced)
Apr 4: Nashville: Tatiana Whitlock - Handgun Accuracy

Check out my website: FirearmsTrainingHub.com to search the schedules of a couple dozen instructors, including Op Spec Training.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mention, Dave.

We have a ton of training that is just what is being requested in Paducah, KY. It is an easy 5 hour (or less) drive from Knoxville. I-40 to I-24, I-24 to Paducah.

We might try to run something in the summer months in Western NC FYI.

RE- Dodd and Associates. I think it is still run by Ronnie Dodd. Ronnie is a good dude. He spent a lot of time teaching for Bill Rogers down at Roger's Shooting School back in the day. Ronnie has to be in his late 60s these days. I don't know if he is still actually teaching or not.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Western NC would be awesome for me. I was just telling my wife I’d like to take some training classes this year.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here's something else that is going to materialize.

SSA 102 and 103 in Kentucky.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...010039464#9010039464

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for Citizen's Safety Academy. They'll do great intro stuff.

Dodd & Associates is Ronnie Dodd's group. He's the lead instructor at the Rogers' Shooting School and has his own Rogers' Range setup.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jlw
posted Hide Post
Howdy,
I'm Lee Weems of First Person Safety. My pistol class near Murfreesboro on 2/29 is sold out, but my Standing Your Ground presentation that evening still has space available.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/76352156355

I also would like to echo the recommendations for Citizens Safety Academy, Ronnie Dodd, and Jerry Jones.

Posts: 22 | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done a couple courses with Reid Henrichs at Valor Ridge and he was fantastic. He also has a fair catalog of more advanced courses. Look him up.

www.valorridge.com

T

Who Does More Is Worth More

Posts: 37 | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post