SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    3 MOA or 8 MOA for my Ruger 22/45 Lite Burris FastFire III

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
3 MOA or 8 MOA for my Ruger 22/45 Lite Burris FastFire III Login/Join 
posted
Going to use my Ruger 22/45 Lite for Steel Challenge shooting and decided to purchase the Burris FastFire III Reflex Red Dot....

Knowing the range and size of my the targets on the various Steel Challenge courses and their various distances would those here that know recommend the 3 MOA or the 8 MOA version?

Keep in mind I am shooting with 57 year old eyes that normally utilizes 2.00 power reading glasses BUT my plans are to NOT wear prescription lens when shooting.....Only zero power shooting glasses......Thanks Mark

Posts: 1993 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
With old tired eyes (I'm not far behind you) you may want to go the 8 MOA route but in the end it is really personal preference. If you have 2 power reading glasses but are going to use zero power shooting glasses I think the 2 MOA dot will be difficult to see unless it is really bright.

When I first started shooting steel I started with a Burris FastFire II and that had a 2 MOA dot. I found that with the combination of the small dot and the speed of moving the gun I would lose the dot between pieces of steel.

When I changed to a C-More I went right to a 12 MOA dot and it has worked quite well for the various distances of Steel Challenge. If I were to go backwards at all it would probably only be to 8 MOA.

Good luck in your quest Mark.

Posts: 2215 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Report This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Question so I can learn from this post, I am not familiar with completion shooting .
So I need to Ask the distance you are you shooting and the size of target?

Posts: 1064 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
Question so I can learn from this post, I am not familiar with completion shooting .

Indiana Mike - I am still learning all about this shooting sport but the attached link provides the eight different SCSA courses of fire. Our club currently uses two and a variation of two others....Hope this helps answer your question....Mark

https://steelchallenge.com/media/stage-diagrams.html

posted Hide Post
Wild Sig - Thank you Sir - I will always listen to those who have experience. I will follow your recommendation and go with the 8 MOA unit....

It will be a few weeks before I am able to report back but once it arrives I will get it mounted and be able to give it a try on my backyard course I am setting up now....Right now at the recommendation of J.L.Jones I am shooting only at two targets - going back and forth trying to drill the center of the 12" plates consistently to develop muscle memory and eye, brain, and finger timing...

My first backyard course will be set up for the Pendulum course with others to follow later in the spring. Forum Member - Tha1000 hooked me up with a local guy that makes and sells AR-500 targets and hanging systems so I will be visiting this guy often as funds allow. Photo of the two 12" plates I am practicing on....Thanks Again Sir - I do appreciate your response and explanation....More to Come.....Mark

Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:

Indiana Mike - I am still learning all about this shooting sport but the attached link provides the eight different SCSA courses of fire. Our club currently uses two and a variation of two others....Hope this helps answer your question....Mark

https://steelchallenge.com/media/stage-diagrams.html

Looking at those course specs, you'll have all the precision you'll need with an 8 MOA. The 8 MOA will be easier to track than the 2 MOA. The 8 MOA will cover 8" at 100 yards. The targets are in the 10 to 12" range with the farthest distance being 35 yards. At 35 yards the 8 MOA will be covering less than 2.5" of the target.

Originally posted by Psychobastard:
Well, we "gave them democracy"... not unlike giving a monkey a loaded gun.

posted Hide Post
I am 60+ and require similar correction for reading. I use fiber optic sights on the iron sight guns and a C-More 8moa on the open guns. Love Steel Challenge.

Posts: 108 | Location: Central NC | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post