SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Some new personal bests in Bullseye recently, with pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some new personal bests in Bullseye recently, with pics Login/Join 
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted
I've made some significant gains recently in Bullseye, mostly from shooting different guns and from focusing on keeping the trigger moving. It's amazing when things finally come together and you make some gains.

I usually shoot a Ruger Mk III Competition with iron sights. This summer I bought a Nelson .22 conversion and installed it on a Kimber 1911 lower for the 'consistent with .45' approach. The 4lb trigger punished me, forced me to learn better grip and trigger control, and now I'm improving across the board. Also put an UltraDot on the Ruger and learning more about hold and trigger control with that, too.

My scores in the past were 265-270 with a best at 275. I shot a 288 this past week in our league (actually, it was a 577/600 as we do a double match). Before this fall I had cleaned only 1 target, rapid fire in practice. Now I clean a target or two each night, regardless whether in practice or a match. That's with the Ruger.

My scores with the Nelson were in the 230 range. It was a difficult adjustment. After about 5 months of shooting it, I have worked those scores up to the mid-270s.

Besides the personal satisfaction of improving and shooting conventional pistol, I also get a little enjoyment beating up on $2000 Pardinis with my cheap Ruger.

Here's a few pics for giggles....

Best slow fire to date:

Best rapid fire to date:

Best Nelson target to date:

Posts: 884 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Nice improvement!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Overheard at an actual match:
"Tapers! Come on, guys, we need tapers!"
"No, my name's Gonzales."

Posts: 4820 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great shooting! Nice to see shooters doing something beyond fist size groups at seven yards as fast as possible

Posts: 2011 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Don't be hating those Rugers.

When I used to shoot Bullseye, there was a regular shooter who won about a third of the time and seldom was lower than 2nd, using a plain old Mark I. I don't recall any really high dollar pistols in our group, but whatever we used, he did OK.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 40982 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
Nice groups. Big Grin

Posts: 5087 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motorhead John--Great results!!

I shoot outdoor bullseye locally and have had some similar success. Best rapid fire to date is 100-6x, but the 100-nx targets are coming more regularly now with the 22 and the 45. Not as often with the 45.

What I am still working hard on is 50 yd slow fire with both guns. Best is 95 and my goal for 2016 is a 98 in a match. Goal for the short line is 100-5x or better in a match.

Amazing how one learns that moving the trigger smoothly is more important than holding the red dot on the x ring or forcing the shot when the dot is in the perfect place.

Most shooters would benefit from a little time at the bullseye range. I even shoot my rifles and my carry gun "better now than I did 2 years ago before bullseye.

We just need to continue refining our skills...

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1912 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Joe L, you have done very well as I have seen from other forums. To OP very good too. Keep it up.

Posts: 4398 | Location: Duckburg, Orygun | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe L:
What I am still working hard on is 50 yd slow fire with both guns. Best is 95 and my goal for 2016 is a 98 in a match. Goal for the short line is 100-5x or better in a match.

Wow you're really progressing if you're into the high 90s in slow fire.

I have a few slow-fire low-90s in matches, but my typical score is mid or high-80s. It's my timed and rapid fire targets are usually high 90s. I literally relax once slow fire is over because I know I can crush the timed/rapid. And all of that is a clear indicator and reminder of my problem...chicken finger...not keeping the trigger moving in slow fire.

Keep it up!

Posts: 884 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MotorheadJohn,

I really think bullseye is the purest, simplest pistol discipline there is, simplest in terms of setup and strings, not shooting. I wish we could get more run and gun types to try it. One of our really good 3 gun participants showed up for the last two matches in 2015 and did well with a .40 cal Glock (once he understood the range commands!) but came away with an appreciation of the discipline. I think he will be back.

On one of the other forums, I've been ridiculed (harmlessly) for even suggesting that people try bullseye, thinking it was boring and too slow moving for them. All they have to do is try it.

Here's hoping we both continue to improve and refine our skills in 2016.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1912 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Real nice shooting motorheadjohn!

Having just shot my first ever rimfire bullseye gallery match last night, all I can say is I need a lot of practice, and a red dot sight.

Posts: 10257 | Location: MI | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I envy your skills with a handgun!

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18128 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
posted Hide Post
Very nice, what type of bullets are you using?

Posts: 4130 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I shoot CCI Standard Velocity in the .22.

In .45 I use semi-wadcutters loaded by Quality Made Cartridges. Haven't started loading my own yet.

posted Hide Post
Motorheadjohn,
This is an old thread, but I just looked through your targets again and we just had a match yesterday and I thought I would share a story.

In practice with the .22 this last week, I shot a 100-10x timed fire target and 4 90+ slow fire targets. But I ran out of my normal match ammo and had zeroed the guns at 6k feet altitude in thin air.

Local bullseye match at 2800 feet altitude was announced unexpectedly for Saturday on Thursday morning. I hadn't shot my usual centerfire gun in weeks. Showed up for the match on Saturday (yesterday) but was not confident going in to the 50 yard slow fire. So I had low scores. Made up for it in timed and rapid with a few 97s.

For the centerfire match, I had no high expectations, so I was calm and enjoyed the match, and did as well as with the .22.

It's all mental now. I was distraught over the slow fire targets and could have lost the match had I not tripped over a cross bar at the short line turners and gotten back in to the moment before the short line targets.

I'll remind myself next match that only the present shot matters. Fretting over the last target is counterproductive (and hazardous). Only the present shot matters. And I'll practice more before the centerfire match.

Joe

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Definitely mental...

I have cranked out some good slow fire scores only to blow it in rapid because I was worried about blowing it. Duh

I shoot best when I just pull the trigger the same every time.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Have you performed/or had any modifications done on your Ruger Competition Target?

I shoot the same gun, and Ultradot. I am thinking about a Volquartsen competition trigger kit for mine.

Posts: 10257 | Location: MI | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Warhorse, yes, I've tried many of the goodies for Rugers, and below are my opinions/conclusions.

These parts were evaluated across four different guns, starting with a lightly used blue MkIII Target, then a well-used blue MkII Target, the MkIII Competition shown above which I still shoot, and finally a MkII Competition I picked up last winter, safe queen condition, that I shoot with iron sights.

My first Ruger MkIII Target was the lightly used 5.5" blued and came with the full VQ trigger kit. The full VQ kit costs $125ish, and in my opinion, the VQ sear alone ($40) is good enough. The sear is a trigger job in a baggie, gives you 90% of the same trigger feel for a lot less cost. I use VQ sears with factory Ruger hammers in both my Competition models and consider the VQ sear must-have. I do not spend the difference for the full VQ kit. (FWIW I say the same thing about the 10/22 VQ kits, VQ hammer is all you need, not the full kit.)

The VQ sear in both my guns give a 2.75-3.0lb break. Most people consider them clean, but after shooting bullseye for a few years, you will develop hyper sensitivity to the trigger, and I consider them a slight roll trigger.

In addition to the VQ sear, my other must-have item is an aftermarket oversize hammer bushing to tighten up the slop -- important for consistent trigger feel. I have mic'ed bushings from several manufacturers and the VQ bushing is not oversized enough. In the MkIII, I'm using a BAM bushing $15 (check for it on Rimfirecentral.com) which also eliminates the magazine disconnect to simplify disassembly/reassembly steps. In the MkII which did not have a mag disconnect, I'm using a Clark oversize bushing and hammer pin pair. The Clark bushings are the largest oversize and will require fitting. I used 240 and 400 grit sandpaper to remove just enough material for a light press fit. This is trial-and-error work, do it until the bushing can be pressed in with light pressure and no deforming.

The following items are either personal preference items or items I tried that clearly did not work as advertised.

The full VQ kit includes a flatter trigger with over-travel screw. A flatter trigger is a personal preference item, and I can see some folks liking that. I think they are available separately if you just want a sear and flat trigger.

If you want over-travel without the flat VQ shape, you have a few options. (1) The Mk II Target triggers have an internal over-travel adjustment, if you could find one of those parts used (Numrich lists them but currently sold out). (2) I have drilled and tapped the Ruger Mk III aluminum trigger and install a set screw, works fine. Or (3) you can buy a trigger from Clark Custom $30ish which is made of steel and has a slightly different curved shape plus over-travel. I use the Clark Custom trigger in both my MkIII and MkII Competition models because I like the shape/feel.

My MkIII uses the Tandemkross loaded-chamber eliminator (LCI) plate. Fits fine and looks good, $15ish. Avoid the Tandemkross magazine base plates, mine did not fit in the magwell!

I have also played around with the Speed Strip kit by Majestic Arms. IMO not needed, just learn to field strip your gun. Beware that the hammer in their kit can lead to light strikes. It's rounded at the top to help clear the bolt during reassembly with mainspring in place, and does not always strike the firing pin properly in some guns, maybe a factor of tolerance-stacking in those guns.

My MkII Competition needed a VQ exact-edge extractor to function properly, may be a tighter chamber, but other guns have run fine with Ruger extractors. Ruger firing pins work fine for me. I don't think any of the aftermarket small parts like this are must-have.

I run factory Ruger target grips with the thumb rest. I've tried the wooden VQ ergonomic grips and also Altamont target grips, but the factory Rugers work fine for me. Esmeraldas grips also sells simple but very nice target grips similar in shape to the Rugers. Personal preference item!

Other items like bolt-racker handles or whatever are gimmicky to me but if you like 'em, it's your gun, enjoy it.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you for telling me about your Rugers.

Mine is a MKII Competition Target.

I may very well take your advice and just get the Volquartsen sear, and a trigger and oversize hammer bushing/pin from Clark.

Heck, I was just looking at the Clark website, they will do the trigger job on my MKII for $125!

I agree about trigger shape, nothing I shoot has a flat trigger.

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motorheadjohn:
Definitely mental...

I have cranked out some good slow fire scores only to blow it in rapid because I was worried about blowing it. Duh

I shoot best when I just pull the trigger the same every time.

Most definitely mental

Several years ago in a leg match, I was doing very well thru time fire. Probably going for a personal best EIC. However one person commented on my clean time fire target with simply "nice target". That was a distraction my head did not need. My head now had a thought outside of the shooting concentration box. I could not shake it out of my head during the rapid stage. My result then was disappointing. This was back when real Service Pistols used real 230 Hardball. I spent 5 years chasing leg points. It is not easy to maintain scores in the 270+area.

Posts: 4398 | Location: Duckburg, Orygun | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Updating with a couple recent targets:

100-7x timed-fire, new best in a match, 50ft

89pt slow-fire with the .45 at 25 yards