SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    IDPA-itis. Symptoms - Whatcha got?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
IDPA-itis. Symptoms - Whatcha got? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I find myself pieing every corner now! Been doing this too long.

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18325 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I find myself pieing every corner now! Been doing this too long.

RMD

A late reply here. I haven't shot a lot of IDPA beyond a handful of matches, one Classifier, and an "Intro to IDPA" course. I enjoy it, just haven't made the time for it and wanting to get back into it soon.

In the meantime, I catch myself checking holster and mag pouches to make sure they are "match legal" in terms of position on the belt. Silly, I realize, yet match-legal positioning and how I actually carry are often in pretty close correlation.

On a loosely-related note, I've recently broken back out my classic photog / safari vests. Sometimes I just want to wear one - pockets are my friends, personally, and I've come to the not-so-startling conclusion that, frankly, no one really notices or cares what I wear out and about.

Anyway, the ONE person who's remarked on one of these vests while I'm in public? An employee at the gun counter at Academy sports ha-ha. "Hey...is that your IDPA vest?" Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 5235 | Registered: September 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Anyway, the ONE person who's remarked on one of these vests while I'm in public? An employee at the gun counter at Academy sports ha-ha. "Hey...is that your IDPA vest?" Smile

To me, one might as well be open carrying with no vest, to the extent that the multi-pocket "tactical" vests spell GUN!! I tried one early on in IDPA, and it was simply too bulky, and I didn't feel I could use it anywhere else just because it spells GUN. I happened upon a nice wool vest from New Zealand in the back of my closet, and believe it or not, wool is actually cool (which matters in AZ). The vest has two outside standard slash pockets, and most important, enough "body" to it so it clears the holster easily.

I only wish my local club held more IDPA matches (one IDPA/month, vs 4 USPSA/month).

rduckwor, I don't think I pie corners outside of a match, but I may be doing so unconsciously. One thing I do find myself consciously doing is noting what makes for good cover, as I move along.

Posts: 6768 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:On a loosely-related note, I've recently broken back out my classic photog / safari vests. Sometimes I just want to wear one - pockets are my friends, personally, and I've come to the not-so-startling conclusion that, frankly, no one really notices or cares what I wear out and about.

Careful, there are guys on here who will mock you for putting your cell phone in a holster. I can't imagine the ridicule over a photo vest. Razz

Posts: 6247 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:On a loosely-related note, I've recently broken back out my classic photog / safari vests. Sometimes I just want to wear one - pockets are my friends, personally, and I've come to the not-so-startling conclusion that, frankly, no one really notices or cares what I wear out and about.

Careful, there are guys on here who will mock you for putting your cell phone in a holster. I can't imagine the ridicule over a photo vest. Razz

LOL - yep, I've recieved comments on BOTH of those heinous practices ha-ha - I often have on a cell phone holster UNDER the dreaded vest! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
To me, one might as well be open carrying with no vest, to the extent that the multi-pocket "tactical" vests spell GUN!!

I don't think this is true. Only pretty dedicated gun people think pocket-laden vests are gun vests. To most people, they spell "dorky old white guy."

Which I don't want to be, so I only wear my IDPA vest for IDPA.

But most people won't think it is hiding a gun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoy it, just haven't made the time for it and wanting to get back into it soon.

Come on down - would be good to shoot a match with you again! Big Grin

(Would tell you to come Saturday, but the match is full and registration is closed.)

Note - the Saturday matches are being capped at 80, so register early. They usually open the week after the match.

Posts: 11486 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
To most people, they spell "dorky old white guy."

I resemble that remark! Wink

I do agree, though - methinks the vests only "mean something" to fellow gunfolk. Or actual photogs; I did get a question from one of those once, too. I felt like such a poser! Smile

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
I enjoy it, just haven't made the time for it and wanting to get back into it soon.

Come on down - would be good to shoot a match with you again! Big Grin

(Would tell you to come Saturday, but the match is full and registration is closed.)

Note - the Saturday matches are being capped at 80, so register early. They usually open the week after the match.

Thank you, sir - I've missed it! I'm still on the BGTC email list; I'll get back in gear soon.

I hear that Hoover Tactical has an "IDPA-ish" match weekly - have you ever shot one of those?

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^
I have not shot that match yet, I only recently heard about them.

IIRC it's a Thursday night match - may have to pop in there one night. A lot of the IDPA regulars shoot there and say it's pretty good-to-go.

Posts: 11486 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
^
I have not shot that match yet, I only recently heard about them.

IIRC it's a Thursday night match - may have to pop in there one night. A lot of the IDPA regulars shoot there and say it's pretty good-to-go.

You're correct - Thursday nights.

I'll look to see you at one or the other (or both) soon!

posted Hide Post
I have shot there once, helping a new shooter get launched, but it is a long drive for an evening match. I am pretty regular at Brock's Gap which is an all day affair.

Posts: 2571 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
After engaging all targets and poppers in the 7-11, while avoiding the no shoots, I unload and show clear to the person standing quietly behind me with an object in his hand, which is raised over my right shoulder.

Posts: 8496 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I have shot there once, helping a new shooter get launched, but it is a long drive for an evening match. I am pretty regular at Brock's Gap which is an all day affair.

That is indeed a good drive! My father lives in that part of the state.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
After engaging all targets and poppers in the 7-11, while avoiding the no shoots, I unload and show clear to the person standing quietly behind me with an object in his hand, which is raised over my right shoulder.

Nice! Smile

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
The cure for idpa-itis is a good dose of uspsa.

Posts: 4704 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Oh, a run and gun guy checks in!

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18325 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

But you forgot to retain you half empty mag between the Slurpee machine and frozen burritos, that's one procedural for you, sorry.

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 9461 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I often download all of my magazines to 10 rounds. Fear people screaming "feet" or "cover" all the while I am in a gunfight.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 30369 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Oh, a run and gun guy checks in!

Both are fun. All in all, USPSA is probably more fun, but I do hate those ridiculous 20 target/25 no-shoots/six shooting window memory test scenarios some USPSA guys design.

Sometimes a two target, six shot, three second scenario is a lot of fun. You'll never get one of those in USPSA.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post