SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Pistol caliber carbine shoot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol caliber carbine shoot Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
A friend of mine has a range fairly close (badlands bar 3, if y’all wanna google it).
After this weekend’s r3gular CAS match, he has a little informal pistol caliber carbine steel match planned. He is testing the waters wrt participation. I think it’ll be fun. Plus I just got my 1/2x36 piston for my Octane so I’ll really get to hear the Steel (and the misses).

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun! I've been shooting the PCC division at my local USPSA matches and have really enjoyed it.

I tried it once with my Osprey 45 suppressor and the shot timer couldn't pick up the report of my AR9! Had to remove the suppressor unfortunately.

Also, don't forget the fixed barrel adapter before threading on that Octane.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some shot timers are having a hard time picking up unsuppressed shots when people are using low-powered loads (~125 PF) with 16" barrels. I don't think you're going to be able to get an accurate time with the suppressor on.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a blast, even though I only shot about 1/2 of it due to my Milsport 9mm laying down on me (see my thread in Mason’s Rifle Room).
They plan on making this a regular thing. This weekend was just a “hey, how do y’all like this?” kind of deal.
And yes, the shot timer had a hard time picking up my shots, but it was worth it to be able to hear the action work and the steel ring.

I still have the theme music from SWAT playing in my head. Smile

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went back for another one this weekend.
Yet another good time. I used another ATI Milsport 9mm. But this time in pistol format.
I milled out the handguard so my suppressor would fit, put a Blade brace on it and went shooting. It ran flawlessly. There were several noobs there (they had a CAS match that morning). I loaned it out to several of them and it never hiccuped.
Come to find out, the chamber/throat on the 16” gun wasn’t cut for the 147gr ammo I was using. The pistol, however, has chewed through everything I’ve put in it.
Again, no time because I was shooting suppressed, but I’m really just there for a good time, not a good time. :-)
Oh. And a friend of mine brought his WWII era MP40 out. Each of us got to blast off a 20rd mag in full auto. That thing was awesome.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that USPSA matches won't let you compete with a pistol-format PCC. It has to have a stock attached. Pistol braces/blades are specifically prohibited. A lot of non-USPSA matches do allow them, though.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
Keep in mind that USPSA matches won't let you compete with a pistol-format PCC. It has to have a stock attached. Pistol braces/blades are specifically prohibited. A lot of non-USPSA matches do allow them, though.

True that. This particular match is more just a bunch of us fellas getting together to shoot than anything formal.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
hudr, Sounds like fun. Give a brutha' a little more heads up next time. I'd make the drive out east to wring out the MPX a little more.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
hudr, Sounds like fun. Give a brutha' a little more heads up next time. I'd make the drive out east to wring out the MPX a little more.

Badlandsbar3.com for dates, times, and directions. They usually have a CAS match in the AM & the PCC Steel Match after lunch. It’s pretty laid back.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun. I'll check it out.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had another one today. Had another blast!
Took a ricochet to my right palm, and broke the firing pin in my little ATI 9mm pistol.
Still fun. Smile

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You can turn up the sensitivity on some of the shot timers. We had that issues with the kids in SASP

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday’s match was a night shoot.
Several things came up....
1. Clearing malfunctions in the dark is WAY different!
2. A bright light, gunsmoke, and heat mirage make for a terrible sight picture.
3. A suppressor gets VERY hot after a 75-80 rd stage!
4. Pitch dark and a focused beam increase ”tunnel vision”, and you WILL fail to engage targets....LOOK AROUND!

Also, a safety PSA: yesterday was a long day for me, culminating in the night shoot in 90+ degree temperature and sweltering East Texas humidity.
We also shot two more stages than usual, and by the time I got done with the last one, I was light headed and made several mistakes. I also tweaked my ankle a bit, but finished the course of fire safely.
I had drank a fair amount of water that day, but it took a Powerade to really being me back.
So...in addition to fluids, keep those electrolytes up also.

All of that aside...still had a blast. I need to get some pics/videos up...I think there are a few at Badlandsbar3.com or on their associated Instagram and Facebook sites.