SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    New video on holstering the pistol and putting your thumb on the back of the slide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New video on holstering the pistol and putting your thumb on the back of the slide Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video. I was taught that early on when reholstering.
Didn't know about firing off a round while your thumb was on the back of the slide though. Good information.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'd have not believed that unless he did a demonstration in the video!

Several years back, a younger, dumber (if that's possible) version of my took my wife to learn to shoot, and one of the guns I had her shoot was my 1911. She shot one off with her thumb partially out of position, and I thought she'd broken it there for a while. I felt terrible, and she STILL doesn't trust me to teach her anything about a gun. Frown

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught that early on in life.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Well, I learned something today. Never knew that bit about the gun being unable to cycle if you keep constant pressure. Thank you sir!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Early on in my LE career I attended a "Shooting for Survival" class hosted by a large SO department.

First drill I shot with my 4006 DA/SA I decocked covered the hammer and went back to the holster. The instructor stopped the class pulled me forward of the line and had the students circle around me and told me to redo the drill. After the drill he proceeded to tell the entire class to never place your thumb on the back of the slide cause you'll lose your thumb. He looked me in the eye and said, "man you're asking for a bloody mess" and then put everyone back on the line.

Thats the only thing I remember from that class, it was a long 2 days. Thats when Surefire was desperate for instructors I guess.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
^^^
With a hammered gun, you would still have that result, right? The hammer is going to push your thumb back enough to allow the barrel to unlock, I would expect.

I do it though. My belief is I would feel the hammer pulling back before it fell on the firing pin. I'll take my chances.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
^^^
With a hammered gun, you would still have that result, right? The hammer is going to push your thumb back enough to allow the barrel to unlock, I would expect.

I do it though. My belief is I would feel the hammer pulling back before it fell on the firing pin. I'll take my chances.

I think we are on the same page... hammer down. The gun is decocked on a SA/DA gun thumb over the hammer. On a S/A gun such as a 1911, I have the thumb place positive pressure up on the thumb safety and trigger finger along the frame (safety spot). Hope that makes sense.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I learned something today. Never knew that bit about the gun being unable to cycle if you keep constant pressure. Thank you sir!

I suspect if the thumb is blocking the slide, but back a little further, it may develope a little bit of speed. That might smart a tad.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

I suspect if the thumb is blocking the slide, but back a little further, it may develope a little bit of speed. That might smart a tad.

That is covered in the video.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^

On a hammered pistol you should feel the hammer moving when you are holstering and stop what you are doing before the pistol goes off.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
On a hammered pistol you should feel the hammer moving when you are holstering and stop what you are doing before the pistol goes off.

With a beavertail, you can put your thumb between the hammer and the tail. Then you couldn't pull the trigger if you tried. If you tried really hard, you would break the trigger and the gun still wouldn't fire.

Hammer-Thumb-Beavertail - The ultimate safe holstering system.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
For giggles sometime, decock your DA/SA pistol, put your thumb behind the trigger like you were going to holster and instead point in and try to pull the trigger while holding pressure on the hammer. If your pistol is anything like my P228, it just isn't happening. The leverage favors the thumb a lot more then the trigger finger in that situation.

I can testify that the P320 doesn't need a lot of pressure to keep it from unlocking. While working on speeding things up from the holster, I suffered a brainfart and had my thumb on back of the slide (appropriate for holstering, not so much for shooting). Got the hit, but the action didn't cycle. Realized what I had done, brought the pistol back into my workspace, racked the empty out, and went back to work with no issues.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:

With a beavertail, you can put your thumb between the hammer and the tail. Then you couldn't pull the trigger if you tried. If you tried really hard, you would break the trigger and the gun still wouldn't fire.

Hammer-Thumb-Beavertail - The ultimate safe holstering ECO system.

Smile

www.opspectraining.com

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
We don't stress thumb on slide during bolstering at my agency but it's good practice especially with da type guns.

However, we do teach what we call "contact shots" which is like what Jerry did. Years ago we had a Deputy wrestling with a scroatbag for the gun. Scroatbag was winning. Deputy's partner arrivedabd prrdsed his gun to scroats neck and pulled the trigger. Nothing. He stepped back, tapped/racked, and again pressed the gun to the neck. Nothing.

Two more cycles of this ended when he shut the guy in the gut from 3 feet. You see, when you press the muzzle of a gun it takes it out of battery and it won't fire.

So now we teach a few methods of pressing your gun against a person while holding the slur firm to ensure it goes off. Most people are highly skeptical until one of us demos.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
So now we teach a few methods of pressing your gun against a person while holding the slur firm to ensure it goes off. Most people are highly skeptical until one of us demos.

Care to share?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the instruction, Jerry. That was fascinating.

I've always been in the habit of putting my thumb on the back of the slide during holstering, to feel for any unintentional slide or trigger movement, but I didn't know constant pressure would keep it from unlocking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you teach an officer to press the muzzle against an attacker? Why not just pop him from an inch away so the slide isn't pressed out of battery.

If you're thinking it's a last ditch fight for life close contact scenario, why teach them a technique to "fix" the gun so it works after making the mistake of pressing it a against /something? Why not just teach them how to back off a 1/4 inch while pressing the trigger? Seems like less work to me.

Not being snarky, genuinely curios.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, but in my case, no.

I've already had to undergo surgery to make my dominant hand thumb work after my 60 mph into a stopped car motorcycle accident. The accident broke the connective tissue in my thumb and left it mostly useless.

I'm not going there again.

I'll figure out an alternative way to do this.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bn307
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

That video is excellent. It is informative, brief, clear, and to the point. Thanks for sharing.

James

-------------------------------------
An analog man in a digital world.

Posts: 288 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: February 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post