SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    What discipline(s) do you shoot?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What discipline(s) do you shoot? Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I shoot IDPA for the trigger time and target practice. The competition part is moot as the prize at a monthly match is an "atta boy".
I consider a match a success if I make it through without taking out a good guy or failing to neutralize a bad guy.

Our local group ha initiated a new rule for the brass monkeys. You can pick up all the brass you want, after the match has ended.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Our local group ha initiated a new rule for the brass monkeys. You can pick up all the brass you want, after the match has ended.

At the local matches typically 1-2 people pick up your brass while you are seeing your targets. At one club it is a requirement of the range, and at the other I think it is just a hold over practice because the other club was around for much longer before the second one started up.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This the same at both local clubs I frequent, and for all shooting disciplines. If you are not the next shooter up or the one after that, you are expected to tape targets or pick up brass. This is not allowed to slow the progress of the match, however. Once the targets are taped and the shooter is in place, brass picking stops.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
While you may not see it, it happens quite a bit, and Ray is exactly on in his frustration.

I've been to matches where a "celebrity" will shut down stages for literally an hour so they can air gun it. When the RSO tries to shut them down, they bully them. They try to get a ruling from the match director, they bully them. It is often that they take the easy road by just letting them do what they want.

Over the last year, I have seen the worst that the sport has to offer. This behavior is exactly that.

I could send some of our MDs you way. They would gladly DQ that person for unsportsmanlike conduct, and add a ban from the club if it continued.

Not sure where you are, but I've shot all over area 6 and a good part of Area 4 and I have never seen that behavior from a shooter.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
To answer the OP's question, uspsa is all I care about shooting right now. If I'm not shooting uspsa, I'm practicing for uspsa. I've shot other disciplines, but have focused solely on getting gooder at uspsa for the last 18 months or so. Another 4-5 years of regular practice and I might be getting where I want to be in the sport.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
The reason my last USPSA shoot was my last USPSA shoot, I pasted my own targets after my run through the stage. The air-gunners were "too busy".

That, and that a USPSA match with the same amount of stages, but half as many shooters takes the same amount of time.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
I personally prefer IDPA, only cause I cannot stand people air gunning a stage 20 damn times before you shoot.

One of my favorite meme images is pictures of the mock Bin Laden Raid compound with the caption being "SEAL Team Six airguns."

A team insert, raid and extract is hardly a comparison to air gunning a stage at a match. But if that makes someone feel like they are on the same level of a door kicker I guess it's all good.

But I guess they could pick a local shooter from a match to go with them on the raid..... Razz

Actually it is valid comparison. If you have the time and available information extensive planing and walk throughes are what the pros do. Because the pro want to win, which for them is achieving the objective with minimal loss of life. And that doesn't even consider the fact that most team CQB is a half a dozen preplanned tactics that are practiced over and over again.

Besides which IDPA has basically the same thing, you are certainly walking through planning your stage, at least that is what the people that want to win do. And ever after the walk through period I am standing back going over exactly what targets I am going to shoot, how I am going to approach the position, when I am going to reload, et al. Programming it into my head so I simply step up and do it.

I may not be able to do walk through the stage itself right before I shoot, nor raise my hands up but those are pretty minor differences particularly when you factor in how simple IDPA stages are.

Are you pasting targets and setting steel?

Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you pasting targets and setting steel?

No, internet celebrities don't paste. Razz

Yes I paste, there is plenty of time to go through the stage in your head, and help reset.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason my last USPSA shoot was my last USPSA shoot, I pasted my own targets after my run through the stage. The air-gunners were "too busy".

I've had that happen at virtually every type of match I shot. GSSF, USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA, and even NRA Action Pistol.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never ever have I had a problem with people not helping.

Person up next is only one air gunning. Everyone helps, unless they are shooting or just shot.

Glad the people at my local matches are nice.

Also never seen anyone picking brass mid match. I leave it all there except when I shoot a MCB Quantico because if we don't clean up they will boot us and not allow use of the base's range again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot IDPA mostly, my friends have gotten me to try USPSA. I like the idea of IDPA better than USPSA but I'm finding USPSA more enjoyable. With IDPA I've become sour at matches the last couple of years with too many rules, other shooters acting like babies and weird calls by the ROs. IDPA and or USPSA are not tactical training but you are training with trigger time, drawing from the holster, movement, targets at different angles and distance, no shoot, reloads... Many who condemn USPSA and IDPA as games forming bad habits are themselves shooting at their local F&G club where they can't draw from a holster, no rapid fire and they can't shoot humanoid targets, but hey they are tactical!

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
I shot IDPA and Steel for a few years when I lived in Phoenix. Had a great time doing it and was learning a lot.

When I moved to Texas a few years back I started shooting USPSA which was different but good shooting is good shooting no matter what the rules are. I was doing well right away by shooting lots of alphas and I wasn't THAT slow. So now after 3 years of USPSA I'm faster at everything and really close to achieveing Master class. I feel like I have grasped the concept for the most part and I'm not sure I would have ever developed as much by shooting IDPA. Looking back to when I shot IDPA I was pretty closed minded to the "gamer" USPSA guys and what they were up to. I didn't know what I didn't know.

Another thing is when I made the switch to USPSA I didn't change my gear. I was using a G35 and 2 spare mags out of Raven Concealment kydex. I'm still using a G35 (although modified now) and kydex concealment holsters.

Tactical training for tactics and USPSA skills for gun handling.

So my answer is USPSA and the reason is for the mental development and high level of gun handling that is required to succeed.

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have shot Precision Pistol since 1969. Early on back then I even was training for Olympic Free Pistol. I was coached and mentored by one of the best. But life got in the way of that. I stayed with "Bullseye" though. Prior to that I shot production rifle benchrest, and NRA SB Prone, and practiced a great amount at my hunting marksmanship. Now Bullseye continues in a declining skills sort of way. And I dabble in Service Rifle, but am too old and decrepit to get serious there.

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
For me it's IDPA. While imperfect, it's the closest thing I can find to defensive pistol craft in a competition setting.

Competition is important to me it gives you a gauge on how you are doing against others. It's nice to do a test from time to time! I also enjoy a bit of pressure as that's an important element in judging ones progress.

As for the game aspect of any competition...one always has the choice of checking ones ego at the registration table and shooting the match for yourself. If gamers beat me, I'm not bothered. When a shooter uses realistic gear and beats me I pay attention. Those are the folks I am competing against. Those are the shooters I want to learn from.

I'm fortunate in that those shooting IDPA around here are nearly 100% great folks. The type that help each other in any way possible. They'll happily help another shooter win and feel good about it. I enjoy that social aspect immensely.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
I shoot/compete in long range precision rifle matches (Tactical/Pratical), that's my passion.

I occasionally shoot USPSA in the Summer if it doesn't conflict with any rifle matches. Been to a few local/informal Steel Challenge matches.

Some of the Precision Rifle matches include pistol or combination pistol/rifle stages, which I tend to like.

What I like most about the Precision Rifle matches (which commonly are refered to as "Outlaw" matches) there generally are no governing bodies to make stupid rules. Basicly the only rules cover safety, and caliber/speed limits (to ensure hits are spotted and steel isn't damaged). No stupid rules that say you cannot have a second optic on your rifle, or your holster had to be in a certian position, etc.

Stupid rules = less fun.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I rule with an iron claw
Picture of alleycat
posted Hide Post
I shoot whatever is close, USPSA or IDPA and 3gun. My favorite right now is 3gun. I never win, but I go to improve my gun handling skills, and often I am the only Lady shooter. When I am, the girlfriends and wives swarm me with questions about gear and technical difficulties (how do I pee). Believe it or not, this seems to be a real issue. While I am not a great shooter, I enjoy being an ambassador for the shooting sports and always have a spare kit for someone to try out.

My goal is to improve at each match and to try one different location every year. This year was Rockcastle. Shoutout for Rockcastle!

___
__

Posts: 4543 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Steel Challenge is what I primarily do, as I'm the one who runs/organizes the weekly match at my club. It is a low-key affair, with a steady group of people whom I enjoy being around. Yes, we do get gamey. However, we all improve over the course of the season (March-November). I enjoy the game and the people, equally.

After a certain period of improvement in stage times, it gets tougher to chop off that extra .2-.3 of a second here and there. That's the challenge for me, and there's always a lot to learn in the process. You become much more confident/capable in your shooting, in an atmosphere where safety is paramount. I see no downside.

We are not USPSA-affiliated, but we do use their classes/rules, so no pressure to use the standard SC stages. We mix it up with other organizations' stages, and even create our own. One of my favorites is making a back-up gun steel challenge-type stage; usually only 3 or 4 plates, but shot with 5-shot revolvers, etc. Sometimes weak hand only, or one-handed. Tons of fun.

We branched out into bowling pins this summer, and everybody liked it. Shooting in brackets of 8 shooters, head-to-head, is good for the soul.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Steel Challenge is what I primarily do, as I'm the one who runs/organizes the weekly match at my club. It is a low-key affair, with a steady group of people whom I enjoy being around. Yes, we do get gamey. However, we all improve over the course of the season (March-November). I enjoy the game and the people, equally.

After a certain period of improvement in stage times, it gets tougher to chop off that extra .2-.3 of a second here and there. That's the challenge for me, and there's always a lot to learn in the process. You become much more confident/capable in your shooting, in an atmosphere where safety is paramount. I see no downside.

We are not USPSA-affiliated, but we do use their classes/rules, so no pressure to use the standard SC stages. We mix it up with other organizations' stages, and even create our own. One of my favorites is making a back-up gun steel challenge-type stage; usually only 3 or 4 plates, but shot with 5-shot revolvers, etc. Sometimes weak hand only, or one-handed. Tons of fun.

We branched out into bowling pins this summer, and everybody liked it. Shooting in brackets of 8 shooters, head-to-head, is good for the soul.

You can become affiliated with Steel Challenge without having to use their official stages. Basically just upload results to SCSA only when you run official stages, so that way your shooters get official SCSA classifications.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
PPGMD-
Thank you for pointing that out. I'd ultimately love to see our club become a full-pop USPSA club, one day. It has everything necessary.
Except leadership.
I hope to gently nudge them along the path, as time goes by.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
PPGMD-
Thank you for pointing that out. I'd ultimately love to see our club become a full-pop USPSA club, one day. It has everything necessary.
Except leadership.
I hope to gently nudge them along the path, as time goes by.

Well if you need help Mike Foley and the crew at USPSA can help. But one doesn't need to be a USPSA club to be affiliated with Steel Challenge, they are two separate things, though I believe Mike Foley said that USPSA clubs can affiliate with Steel Challenge for free.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"