SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Had a good time at a local match today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had a good time at a local match today. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
And I shot to my potential. A stupid procedural (my fault, I’ll own it) cost me 6 seconds. That put me in fifth place. I only dropped two points the entire match though.

The best part was I took a new shooter with me. I think there was a half dozen total out a group of 24. Good to see them stepping out of their comfort zone and trying competition

Get out and compete. Take a new shooter to a local match. It’s fun and a good way burn off stress.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, Sir!

We had our first Steel Match of the season last weekend.

There were a coulple of new (ish) shooters getting help and encouragement.

Hopefully, IDPA will resume sooner than later.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
That is awesome!

So, how does one come to find local gun competitions?
Always wanted to view/get into the sport.

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your performance, and good on you for taking the new shooter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bschuu:

So, how does one come to find local gun competitions?
Always wanted to view/get into the sport.

Easy. Find the local shooting ranges/gun clubs in your area, and inquire about what type of matches they have. Usually, a range will list these on their website or social media pages.
Pick one and show up. Nice people will help you.
Or, you can visit USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Precision Rimfire, NRL-22 websites and find a local match that way.
You'll be glad you did.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Great answers so far. My suggestion would be to go to www.idpa.com and search for a club near you. While if you search "matches" you'll find larger matches that for the most part have been cancelled. But, if you search strictly for clubs, and do a little research, you'll find in a lot of places local matches are still a go.

I've shot local matches in several places and have found the folks to be friendly and helpful to new shooters. Hell, I've only heard of one shooter that had a bad experience on their first match because the RO was a jerk. That is rare. Very rare. Don't let the thought discourage you from giving it a try.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post