SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Tactical Performance Center informal AAR.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tactical Performance Center informal AAR. Login/Join 
posted
Just a quickish review, I didn’t take great notes on daily order and such as I wasn't planning on an AAR, but just notes on things I needed to work on. Quick overview for an idea. I highly recommend the class. It was my first formal class and I learned a lot. If you’re a multi class attendee and have a lot of rounds and such under your belt, I think you’ll still learn something but may be a little more basic. Despite the name, they don’t teach tactics, so I feel its more competition-oriented class.

https://www.tacticalperformancecenter.com

https://www.tacticalperformanc...er.com/pages/targets

One of the founders also built the Practiscore application.

I chose this class after looking online for a competition-oriented class and seeing some of the videos and the shooters that had gone through it. Also, in part because it was one of the closest classes. Transportation and hotel being the most expensive, I was trying to minimize those. This was an 8-hour drive for me.

Each day started in classroom with the 4 rules of firearms safety and preview tomorrow and a review of yesterday’s work. Range is predominantly cold, but between drills or needing a rest, we could holster hot. Cleared before going back to the classroom or restroom.

Day 1
Started at 0830 with introductions, the 4 rules and an outline of the program. Our instructors were TG, Glen, JoAnn, Jalice and Justine. The sisters Jalice and Justine are about 14-15 years old and USPSA classified Grand Master shooters, I think in Production class. Glen is their coach.

Discussion and setup on the line of skeletal alignment and stance for recoil management and follow through work along with grip to help the gun return to the same spot. Soft, pliable hands with cammed wrists, C clamp grip (especially helpful on the Glock) and a few other grip reminders.

We started with grip exercises and trigger control using an approximate 1” horizontal and vertical stripe target at 3 or 4 yards. Good indicator of trigger isolation or grip pressure issues. I dropped several shots low or left but improved as we went on.

We then switched bays and worked on trigger prep after the shot using a black circle inside a ring. I was reminded to shoot faster and quit pinning the trigger. We shout doubles and 4rounds, ideally staying in the center dot but for sure inside the larger ring.

We finished with some 1” dots, three rounds per and the 50/50 drill where you load one round and eject the mag. Then fire the first shot into the 1” circle with no time limit but triggering the second dry fire within a second with a good sight picture.

Day 2
Again at 0830 in the classroom, 4 rules. Intro to the TPC 24, which is three 8 shot groups in the gray rectangle for time. Total divided by shots in for a hit factor. Designed to be shot cold from the compact imminent threat position, which is proper grip but gun below line of sight and closer to the body. Not a low ready but a guard position where you could probably fire a shot and have a good hit at close range.

Started on the line with the TPC24 where I was getting about a 12-hit factor and folks were ranging from an 8 hf to a 16 hf at the high. I was averaging 19-21 hits and about 3 seconds or slightly under per 8 shot string. I suppose you could download mags to 8 and be slightly faster not having to count.

Worked on sight alignment by feel, starting on target, bringing the gun back and then pressing out such that your sights should be really close to on target based on grip and stance etc.

We then worked on shot cadence, using a similar gray vertical rectangle x 3. The first was 1 shot per seconds, then 1 shot per half and finally 1 shot per quarter second if you were comfortable. Worked on some draws from holster that day as well.

After lunch was the TPC Games using three steel targets and a 6-plate rack at 10? yards or so. Two teams, each had a 16x24 square plate and two 10” plates on the outside of the plate racks. Ran in relay style, each team would have a shooter come to the table and tap it twice before drawing and engaging the steel. Two shots on the square, one shot each 10” and then the plate rack. Return and tag the next shooter. Several relays were ran, with using the first to finish wins, then no time but the team with the most misses lost. Then a speed run but where each miss counted as a 5 second penalty and another where a miss required you to pause for three seconds before continuing. Interesting to see the difference in time between all out speed and penalties.

Switched bays and worked the dot in circle again and worked on calling shots and finished with the 1” dots with 3 shots per for 75 rounds total. There was some shot calling work in there as well along with some exercises demonstrating how tight a sight picture you needed based on target size. For that we used a 16x24, a 10” plate and an A zone plate. The large square was a point shoot or very gross sight picture and then more precision as the targets got smaller. Many folks wanted to take a precise sight on all three.

Also, there was some reload instruction and more trigger prep to the point of triggering the second shot on occasion to learn the trigger. I learned some tips that will help my reloads I think. Gun vertical when the mag release is pressed, bring it in close but high and then insert the mag pressing against the rear of the mag well. By having the gun up high, after the reload, it’s a straight press out to the target.

We did some 15yrd shooting at the same 3” black dot with circle outline to. Useful.

Day 3
Started earlier so folks could catch flights etc. Classroom at 0730, some more TPC 24 drills and drawing from holster. Also target transitions and fading. Target transitions with the goal of six consecutive shots rather than two-two-two distinct shots. Fading to start leaning and being prepared to move as the last shot breaks. I worked down to a 1.14 draw to first shot on a steel C zone, best for me. My fading left needs work, but I was getting the cadence down.

Finished with another set of the TPC Games and the. Some individual practice and even more personal coaching on your choice of targets and wants.

Closed with certificates and the award for best TPC 24 which was a gentleman shooting a stock Glock with a 16 hit factor.

Ammo
They allow reloads at this class, which was good for me and a couple others. Although there is no time to police brass during class, there is plenty of time to gather all you can after class is done for the day. A bonanza I regret not taking advantage of, especially for my own brass. One fellow filled two 1-gallon jugs before he got tired of it in the heat. Most folks shot factory ammo and 147gr Speed Lawman was used by some and others used Fiocchi, WIN, FED etc. in 115 to 124gr. One shooter was shooting WIN NATO 9mm.

Gear
I used my CZ Shadow 2 that I converted to SAO with some Cajun Gun Works parts and springs. It ran great with my reloads of 135gr Bayou Plated round nose and 4.1gr of CFE-P and Win SPP. I did have three light strikes, two on Saturday and one on Sunday. I attribute it to primers not being seated 100% but the gun being hot and getting dirty may have contributed. I cleaned the gun on Friday night but not Saturday night as a test and an expectation of less rounds fired on Sunday. I did lose the fiber in the front sight twice. I’ve since better secured the fiber and moved to a 13lb mainspring for reliability. I’m still thinking of a 13lb recoil spring from the stock 14, but I have some spares, so I’ll wait until they need replaced.

I used a CompTac holster and Ben Stoeger BOSS hanger on a BladeTech competition belt and 5 Ghost magazine pouches. I had several mags, factory CZ 17rds, MecGar 17rds and MecGar 19rds. No issues with the gear and having lots of mags was a big help. I’m researching a different holster or hanger that sits out just a bit further. Probably just use the next size up spacers on the BOSS hanger. I’m trying to find a happy spot between Production and Limited holster positions such that I can shoot either without a huge adjustment, so no speed holsters etc. I’d like the Safariland ELS system with the wider 1.75” belt, a full-size fully loaded CZ and 5 mags can get heavy on the belt. I’d have been unhappy with a regular gun belt I think, even though my Armour belt works great for concealed carry and even with my Ruger GP100.

You may want a small camp stool, but you could probably bring a chair out from the classroom. They had shade canopies and though not many formal breaks, as long as you cleared your gun and let the instructor know you were offline for a bit, it was easy to catch your breath. Not a real physically intensive class, but the heat and concentration worked against some. We had all levels of fitness, from a few young in shape cops to some not so in shape retired gentlemen.

Clothing
Shorts and a T-shirt with a wide brim hat was the norm for me, others were similar or with pants. It was hot, 100* each day and I drank a gallon of water easy each day along with an electrolyte mix or Gatorade. I discovered the shorts rubbed my knees after a long day and I had some breakouts and sunburned my calves where the short rubbed the sunscreen off. I used Hawaii Tropic 50 SPF and had no issues.

First Aid
I used the 3M waterproof tape that was recommended by a member here http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...1105858/m/6430039544 , 3M Nexcare Absolute Waterproof First Aid Tape, Foam, 1" x 180", as I ended up with a blister from the beaver tail and some hot spots from the checkering. Several folks used KT Tape and one of the instructors was a big help in getting people fixed up. I suggest a sweat band on the shooting hand and a towel on the belt.

Guns
There was a variety of guns from Glock and M&P primarily, an XD, a Sig 320 X5, my CZ and a Wilson EDC 9mm. All guns were 9mm but no one had any major issues, one gentleman had some issues with a MagPul Glock mag not feeding a few times. My CZ got hot to the touch several times, the hottest and dirtiest any hand gun of mine has been. Some of that was from rubbing my hands in the dirt to try and keep the sweat at bay.

Most folks were using a pants belt mount or competition mount Kydex holster with a few police officers using the Safariland with some level of ALS and battle belts. One or two officers had the Surefire lights mounted.

Lube
I used a combo of Slip 2000 EWG on the rails and Slip 2000 EWL 30 on the pins and hard to get to spots in the gun. No issues, though I did over grease once and had to wipe off some excess as it was getting on the frame and making the gun click. RemOil aerosol was used heavily by some, I don’t recommend it. Grease or heavier oil. There was a slight breeze sometimes and with the fine dirt and dropping the mags in the dirt, a well lubed gun was a help. Never any issues from that for me. The guns got hot and dusty.

Repairs
As mentioned, I lost the fiber out of my front sight twice, the second time didn’t seem to hurt me too bad at the drills. It was suggested I have some precut to fit so I only need to heat one end, I like a smaller fiber dot, so it takes a little finesse. I had all the tools for my gun, my gun belt and such to adjust sights or tighten holster screws etc. The instructors have a good selection as well and will help if needed.

Accommodations
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Washington that they recommended and provide a discount. Call and get the discounted rate using the code from the website. Very new hotel, nice room with fridge and microwave and breakfast included. I ate breakfast at the hotel and had dinner in St. George and got a Jimmy John Sandwich for the next day. The hotel was about 8 minutes from the range and around the corner from a gas station for ice, it worked very nice. Outdoor pool etc.

Range
The range is the Southern Utah Practical Shooters range. Nice range, multiple bays though we only used two. Porta Johns for restrooms, a small fridge if needed. I brought a small cooler for my lunch and cold drinks. You can park close enough to stage out of your car and just bring a stage bag with ammo, eyes, ears etc. to the line. I highly suggest a cooler for beverages and lunch as lunch was about 30-45 minutes, not really time to get to anywhere other than a gas station and back. Again, I drank about a gallon of water per day plus Gatorade.

See also another members review: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...820089644#4820089644

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 7090 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post