SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Favorite targets for off hand practice at 25yrds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite targets for off hand practice at 25yrds? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I was using standard 3x3 florescent sticky notes on a USPSA target and was getting 3/5 on the sticky or touching but two a ways off, still in the A zone mostly. It's on me for sure.

However, is there a better target that may be more clear or contrasty at that range for a handgun?

It wasn't that long ago I'd be lucky to get all 5 on the target at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I use standard bullseye targets.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fluorescent targets are not a good choice they may encourage you to focus on the target too much which NOT where the focus should be. Nothing wrong with old school bullseyes. The small dessert size paper plates are good too. I use various cups and plates at home and trace circular targets on scrap paper construction paper old card board boxes whatever

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some variation of sights with their flat-topped front blade are still the most common in use on handguns, and even rifles like the AR. For maximum precision in achieving the same sight picture every time with such a sight, I prefer a target that consists of a triangle with one point down. The target sheet should be as large as necessary to see it well.

This is a graphic of the target I have my students use for zeroing their rifles.

(The black outline is for illustration purposes, and not necessary.)

Having a very well-defined aiming point is critical for a consistent sight picture and best accuracy. That’s why traditional bull’s-eye competitors use a six o’clock hold. Trying to position the image of a black front sight post in the same place on a dead black circular target every time is difficult and prone to aiming errors.

The above illustrates the proper sight picture with military style rifle irons, but the principle is the same with most Patridge handgun sights. Although the color of the target can be anything that contrasts well with the background, I prefer something bright like orange. It’s true that we must focus on the front sight for best results, but that’s a matter of concentration and discipline to not let ourselves become distracted. A medium blue target also works well. This is a very good commercial offering:

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...bPLAINS%2bINDUSTRIES

If we’re using a homemade target (colored construction paper sheets work well), and we want a way of monitoring how well our accuracy is improving, the primary aiming target can be combined with a circle drawn on the background paper.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The three nestled together are good groups for 25 yards for almost any handgun. When I have “flyers” like yours, it’s an indication that I’ve lost focus on the sight picture and trigger control, usually because I become impatient or tired and don’t force myself to slow down and concentrate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there is some patience and trigger control issues going on. My goal is to put them all on the sticky note.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What do you think was the cause of the two low hits?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I use something similar to the 'zipper' target on that link above. Or, setup a USPSA target at the 45 yd classier distance and practice for A-zone hits. Slow at first, then on the timer. After that 25 yds seems easier. I do this with a Carry Optic gun.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What do you think was the cause of the two low hits?

I think it was mostly lack of patience on the trigger as that’s been an issue. A little target peeping as well though.

These are 10yrds, not real aiming point on these.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some variation of sights with their flat-topped front blade are still the most common in use on handguns, and even rifles like the AR. For maximum precision in achieving the same sight picture every time with such a sight, I prefer a target that consists of a triangle with one point down. The target sheet should be as large as necessary to see it well.

This is a graphic of the target I have my students use for zeroing their rifles.

(The black outline is for illustration purposes, and not necessary.)

Having a very well-defined aiming point is critical for a consistent sight picture and best accuracy. That’s why traditional bull’s-eye competitors use a six o’clock hold. Trying to position the image of a black front sight post in the same place on a dead black circular target every time is difficult and prone to aiming errors.

The above illustrates the proper sight picture with military style rifle irons, but the principle is the same with most Patridge handgun sights. Although the color of the target can be anything that contrasts well with the background, I prefer something bright like orange. It’s true that we must focus on the front sight for best results, but that’s a matter of concentration and discipline to not let ourselves become distracted. A medium blue target also works well. This is a very good commercial offering:

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...bPLAINS%2bINDUSTRIES

If we’re using a homemade target (colored construction paper sheets work well), and we want a way of monitoring how well our accuracy is improving, the primary aiming target can be combined with a circle drawn on the background paper.

I'm late to this thread but wanted to thank Sigfreund for the link to this aiming target. I like the downward triangle for more precise aiming.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
A blank target. Turn a 25 yard timed fire target over. Focus on the front sight and frame it in the white area the same each shot.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
A blank target. Turn a 25 yard timed fire target over. Focus on the front sight and frame it in the white area the same each shot.

I agree, but there is more to the story. You need to have some kind of an established shooting stance and basic knowledge of precision shooting techiques if it shall work.

It actually would the best way to prepare for an official competition IF it the rules would allow it.

For targets I would either choose an official NRA or ISSF precision target printed on decent paper.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was a serious shooter, I always shot at blank paper. Regular 8.5x11 stuff. The first shot I would try to put dead center. The rest, on top of or as close to that first shot as possible. I also never fired more than one magazine, or two cylinders full at a single target. Usually less.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post