SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    If you were a teacher, what kind of training would you get?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were a teacher, what kind of training would you get? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I retired from the military 15 years ago and would like to refresh old skills and learn about the new items available (CAT, Quick Clot, Chest seals). I would not be opposed to an all inclusive course that combined first aid, martial arts and shooting.

Thank You

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a hundred percent sure I understand what you're looking for.

Dark Angel Medical the gun industry's most popular source of medical training. Unfortunately, their closest class to NW IN is Luther, MI in June or Columbus in Oct.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
All of my first aid training is in the distant past and I would like to get refreshed with the new equipment and techniques.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Basic combat trauma (expensive words that equal First Aid) haven’t changed much over the years. A good American Red Cross Stop the bleeding class would go a long way, and is inside of everyone’s reach and budget.

Everyone that I have heard that has taken a class from Dark Angel has enjoyed it.

But, to me, unless it is a live tissue class, I wouldn’t pay for it due to you really not gaining anything over taking Red Cross classes.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jones.

Take a stop the bleed class. Have your shooting training separately.

Most of the "combat first aid" classes don't offer much worthwhile beyond "stop the bleed".

If you do want more, jump right to a full on Tactical Medicine class like JTM Training offers. Something like 11 days, lots of shooting, K9 first aid, and enough medicine that they will renew a Paramedic certification, at the end of the class. Spendy, but real skills can be gained, there.

I think "stop the bleed" is what you're looking for. Also, for more diverse and practical skills, Wilderness First aid is excellent.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
I was at New Buffalo rod and gun today for a match and saw an advertisement for Trauma casualty training

They are close enough to you , you may want to check it out,

Don't know anything about the group but it may be what you are looking for

The training is next Saturday

I emailed you the advertisement

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Got your email. It’s exactly what I am looking for, trying to make the time work.

YAT-YAS

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this class fits your requirements or budget but you might consider FASTER school and church staff Active Shooter traing

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Got your email. It’s exactly what I am looking for, trying to make the time work.

Let me know how the class was. I see them advertise quite a bit at that club.

If you end up still looking for training let me know that also

I see events like that pop up occasionally
mixed in with all of the pistol shooting classes every gun range offers.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:

Let me know how the class was. I see them advertise quite a bit at that club.

If you end up still looking for training let me know that also

I see events like that pop up occasionally
mixed in with all of the pistol shooting classes every gun range offers.

I wasn’t able to get to that class but I am still looking. I think that class would have been great.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
If you already have basic practical skills, then an internet refresher is probably all you need.

Something like this should do the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF5GhoYKK3g

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks

YAT-YAS