SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    My first session of transitioning over to an optic (video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first session of transitioning over to an optic (video) Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted
It is difficult to give up the familiar, trusty iron sights and venture into the new area of using a handgun with an optic on it. However, my up-close vision isn't getting any better (I'm 50), and I can see the benefits that a red-dot will bring to my Steel Challenge shooting.

I just wish the learning curve wasn't so steep.

That being said, I ventured out last weekend to the range to work solely with the optic for the first time. I'm using a S&W M&P 9 Pro CORE with a Burris FastFire III with a 8moa dot, by the way. My iron sight gun is a 9 Pro that I'm very comfortable with. I have to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

So, I worked on my draw and the first shot in this session. Just to get some familiarity with the slightly-different draw of an optic gun. I eventually became consistent in the 1.20-1.30 second range; by comparison, I am consistent at 1.0 and occasional 0.9 second draws with my iron-sight gun. I've even pulled off an occasional .78, but it was 50-50 whether the gun would go flying downrange or not, lol.

At the end, I had some fun with the Kel-Tec Sub2K as well. Not blazing fast on the one run, but it truly is fun. I did have some sub-2.0 second runs with this rifle back in November.

Weekly matches begin next month. I foresee much dry-fire and live-fire practice for me between now and then.
For those interested, here's video of the session.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzAevJDLak0

Posts: 2681 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
i'm a big proponent of dry fire anyway, but I think it would be especially beneficial in burning in where the gun needs to be to find the dot. Good luck on the switch.

Posts: 4643 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
i'm a big proponent of dry fire anyway, but I think it would be especially beneficial in burning in where the gun needs to be to find the dot. Good luck on the switch.

If anything, making this change validates the need for dry fire practice. Not sure I could afford to do it all using live fire, lol.
Thank you for the good wishes, T!

Posts: 2681 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post