SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Proposed 2019 USPSA Competition, Multi-gun, and SCSA rules now open for member comment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed 2019 USPSA Competition, Multi-gun, and SCSA rules now open for member comment Login/Join 
Picture of JAFO
posted
From the USPSA Down Range newsletter:

The 2019 USPSA Competition Rules, Multi-gun Rules and Steel Challenge Rules

On Tuesday, Sept. 25, the USPSA Board of Directors approved a draft of the 2019 USPSA Competition Rules, Multi-gun Rules and Steel Challenge rules, complete with change logs. The draft is comprehensive and includes all rules, rulings, appendices, addendums, format fixes, updates and corrections. The rules will posted for 90 days for member comment, after which time the Board of Directors will vote on the implementation of the 2019 rule books and release an effective date. Current USPSA Members can login to view the rules drafts and comment online here. Comments should be specific to rules, and will require a rule number for review. Comments will be reviewed on a regular basis, and minor changes may be implemented during the review period.

You have to login to see the change logs or rulebooks, so only current members may comment. This is a major revision of the book, rolling in all the latest Prod, CO, and PCC changes, as well as clarifications of several things that have been discussed on Enos. The USPSA Competition change log is 6 pages long!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A lot of the members I shoot with are going to push to increase mag limits to 15 in production. That will allow new shooters to more easily compete without having to buy 20 mags or shoot Limited Minor with the bigger dogs.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
A lot of the members I shoot with are going to push to increase mag limits to 15 in production. That will allow new shooters to more easily compete without having to buy 20 mags or shoot Limited Minor with the bigger dogs.

I personally don't agree that changing that is necessary. Regardless of the states that couldn't support it through mag restrictions, there are a lot of guns that can be used in Production now that can't hold 15 rounds. Especially those used by folks who want to handload .40 or .45 to minor PF and shoot Production.

New shooters shouldn't expect to take top spots their first time out, and they should be told not to worry about how they place in their first match. So it shouldn't matter whether they get put into Limited shooting minor for the first few matches. If they like the sport, then they can decide whether to buy a few more mags & pouches or step up to a major caliber for Lim or Lim10.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's why there are classes. If you're worrying about "the big dogs" then you need to stop. The big dogs are going to beat them no matter what.

If you don't want to reload, shoot Limited. If shooting your Production gun in Limited is going to be a huge disadvantage to you, then shooting 15 rounds instead of 10 in Production isn't really going to help you.

Besides, with all the recent changes to Production, the 10 round limit is one of the only real difference left between it and Limited. I DO NOT get the desire and constant changes to keep making all the "divisions" more similar. Roll Eyes

Production is no longer production. Hasn't really been since special purpose made factory guns came on the scene, nut now it's really all out the window.

Revolver should never been changed from 6 rounds. (why make it more like Single stack and Limited-10? For the same reason we got Carry Optics? Because S&W urged the right people? (conspiracy theory hat on) Wink Oh no. To grow the revolver division and bring in new shooters. 8 round revolver had just the opposite effect here, dramatically so. We probably had 12-15 guys who occasionally shot revolver, so you'd have a couple every match. Now we have basically two guys that still bother. And I can't say I've seen a single new shooter shooting Carry Optics. Just regular shooters using it as an excuse to buy a gun, or a place they hope they can win.

Single Stack should have been 8 round major only from day one. Heck, even 7 rounds! The way Jesus, John Moses Browning and John Wayne would have wanted it!
Blah blah blah, I'm old and crotchety now!

I never got the "I don't want to reload" thing myself. But then what I liked most about 6 shot revolver was all the reloading. I also don't to this for it to be easy, the division I shoot and enjoy the most is Single Stack because it's far and away my worst division. Limited and Open are boring to me, like hitting off a batting tee, or golf balls at the driving range. Hitting off a batting tee serves a purpose, but you're not really playing baseball then are you? Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Not sure why so many people think that rule changes will bring in new shooters... The reason we don't get new shooters is that 99% of gun owners buy a gun, shoot a box of ammo through it, then put it in the safe. USPSA is still growing at a good rate.

10 round production teaches you things you simply can't learn if it was 15.

Being an RO, really opened my eyes to how many shooters in USPSA don't even know the current rules anyway lol.

Oh, and as far as carry optics goes... The dot can really accelerate how you learn to call shots, and it translates back to iron sights well. And it's just fun.

The rules IMHO are in a good place right now, the recent production changes were needed, and still keeps the spirit of production. You can't buy a good finish in USPSA, but you should be able to do things to make a gun fit how you like. Also the old production rules were nearly unenforceable, unless you were an expert on every single approved gun and every available modification for it.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post