SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Single Stack Classic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Stack Classic Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I'm way late in posting anything about this and, sadly, I have no pictures to share...but...in late June, I participated in a 1911s-only Single Stack Classic match locally. It was their 4th annual iteration of the event, using some slightly-modified USPSA rules (I'm not conversant enough in the USPSA discipline to intelligently discuss how the local club's rule-set differed from standard).

It was a hoot! I used a Colt XSE Government Model that I felt looked a little classier than most with its "Tru-Ivory" grips (synthetic ivory, so perhaps not so "true," hm?) and a Privateer Leather OWB Avenger-style holster. I also trotted-out just about every magazine pouch I had, as this match offered some fairly high-round-count stages.

As has happened in the comparatively small number of IDPA matches I've participated in, I had one stage go really well, one that went incredibly badly, with the rest somwhere in-between. Wound up "placing" 35th in a field of 60 shooters.

Oh, also won a t-shirt at the post-match prize drawing LOL...in addition to the nifty match t-shirt all participants received.

As with IDPA, it was nice to shoot "out of the box" with a 180-degree field of fire, the time pressure, the peer pressure, etc.

I had a great time and will be back for more!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Where was this event?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Colt Gold Cup in the USPSA matches.
Your event sounds fun.
PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Where was this event?

B'ham, Alabama - Brock's Gap Training Center.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
I shoot a Colt Gold Cup in the USPSA matches.
Your event sounds fun.
PC

Nice! I believe I saw a Gold Cup or two being used at this match.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Not too far away. If I pick up a single stack, ill have to make it over for this one of these years.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when the Single Stack Classic was just run by the 1911 Society, I made it a point to go every year. During that time, it usually didn't completely fill, and match headquarters, after the second annual SSC, was in the older section of Barry Illinois. The flavor and personality of the annual SSC sort of changed after USPSA took it over. One of the concerns was whether the Single Stack Classic, a match around the 1911 would last. It looks like it will with it now associated with USPSA, but after the first match or two after the change, I haven't been back.

The courses of fire are designed around the capabilities of the 1911. They pushed your skill level, and didn't include courses of fire that entailed high round counts from a couple of positions. When the 1911 Society ran it, they usually had something like 12 courses of fire (one year may have had 14), and while a makeup day was included for weather problems, mys squad always shot the entire match in one day, with a lunch break.

Fun matches. I enjoyed every one of them.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I believe I may have erroneously titled this as the "Single Stack Classic" as opposed to a "Single Stack Championship" as I think it was called by the host range - I'll have to check the match t-shirt to confirm ha-ha! Smile

Wasn't / Isn't the "true" Single Stack Classic an annual, national-level event?

Either way, I apologize for any confusion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I believe I may have erroneously titled this as the "Single Stack Classic" as opposed to a "Single Stack Championship" as I think it was called by the host range - I'll have to check the match t-shirt to confirm ha-ha! Smile

Wasn't / Isn't the "true" Single Stack Classic an annual, national-level event?

Either way, I apologize for any confusion.

It was and it is. It was the Single Stack Classic, and now is the Single Stack Nationals.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I see this listed on brocks gap's website for June 23, 2018.

What is the scoring method? Is minor scoring recognized or is it major only? Any where I can obtain a list of rules for the match? Can you pre-register?

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Some info on the match. Registration is open. Scoring method is 2 A/B hits on ipsc metric target is considered "neutralized". 5 second penalty if not neutralized.. so there is literally no situation where not shooting an alpha makes sense.

Major and minor is determined solely by caliber and not by a chrono. It is essentially treated as two separate divisions, major vs major, minor vs minor.

Looks as if one of the top single stack GM's in the South East has won the last few years... I've signed up to see what it's all about.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Shot this yesterday. Was fun. Dropped 5 close charlies and two egregious wide charlies that I didn’t call for a whopping 35 seconds worth of penalties. Managed to finish 4th in the “major” division behind a couple of uspsa grand masters. I think o was 12th overall. Overall match winner was an Amu guy that finished 3rd at at the 2017 uspsa Open Nats. He shot minor. Wish I’d have seen him shoot because he burned it down. There was quite a few high level uspsa and idpa guys there. I had fun and will go back. Took me about half the match to dial it back to shoot all alphas and quit eating stupid penalties. I might have snuck into 3rd with a little more visual patience in the early going. Back to Limited division for me through the Louisiana Gator match in November. Thanks to the OP for creating this thread.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Considering this is literally in my back yard, I may have to dust off the P220 next year and give it a go!

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Considering this is literally in my back yard, I may have to dust off the P220 next year and give it a go!

I believe it is 1911 only.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Ahh - yes - I missed the 1911s only bit.

Well, might have to break out the SA 1911 and give it a whirl. Big Grin

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, might have to break out the SA 1911 and give it a whirl. Big Grin

It's a good time. They gave away 3 guns, and a good number of other prizes. A match tshirt and bbq lunch is included in the entry fee.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I missed this year’s event but glad to read the good report on it!

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that's wrong. SS is SS. As long as it is an 8+1 gun with major PF. They should permit SIG P220's (both .45 and 10mm), and any other brand similarly configured.

Why don't they call it the "1911 Classic" (or Championships, whatever). I have a similar gripe with the Wilsons and their ".45 caliber only" for IDPA's CDP. There are other calibers with an 8+1 configuration that can certainly match or beat the .45 in power. Again, the SIG P220-10mm comes to mind.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post