SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surefire X300U v's Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire X300U v's Streamlight TLR-1 HL Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
Need some opinions please. I'm wanting to put a brighter light on my HD weapon. I'm currently running a TLR-7 on my P226 Legion SAO. Another reason for wanting a different light is for defensive purpose. Why I'm leaning towards the X300, but it's almost twice the price. I do like the quick release feature and how far it protrudes from the muzzle.

I'd appreciate any input on both.

Thanks in advance SF.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I went with the TLR1 based on looks alone. I'm not disappointed with the light at all.... but I cant speak to the surefire.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bm1974
posted Hide Post
Take a look at olight weapon lights. I've owned all 3 brands. For the money I think it's the best bang for buck lights. They usually have big sales on black friday.

Posts: 222 | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Surefire with a DG switch wins hands down. I have both and while I really like both and think they are solid, the option of the DG switch makes a difference to me.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I like the switch on the TLR-1 better, but it is easier to accidentally activate the light.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm a Surefire whore mostly and went X300U over the TLR-1; prefer the switch setup on the Surefire.

Wait for Black Friday, I bet you'll be able to get an X300U for the $180 price range.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one. I own both and I'm a fan of both. The Surefire seems to be built to a little bit higher quality (switch is more durable and has a robust push-on feature) and the Surefire has a tad more "horsepower" in the light it throws. Both are good on battery life; probably equal.

I've had Streamlight repair two old M-3s on their dime when I'm the one who tore the lights up on an overland SWAT op manhunt one night. I've also had Surefire send me a Pictanny latch free of charge for my X300U when I couldn't find it in my kit. So, my experience with CS has been really good with both companies.

What it really comes down to is cost, and if you're budget-minded or limited financially, the TLR-1 HL is by far the best choice of the two. If cost is not an concern, I would choose the Surefire X300 Ultra first based on the aforementioned. Good luck!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is of course incidental evidence. I've owned dozens of surefires and dozens of streamlights (mostly as part of the fire service). I have never had a surefire give up the ghost, and many streamlights fail.
I use the X300 and am very happy.
Mostly on pistols I find its a game of finding a gun/light comb that you can find a holster that works for you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned a Surefire, I’ve just never quite had the accessory budget for that price range. If you do, you probably won’t be disappointed. I’m trying to put lights a number of guns and not equipping one “you could deploy with it” type rig. Knowing what you want to do with your budget is a consideration.

I’ve owned two TLR1 HL’s. One of the 650 lumen and one of the 800 lumen variants. I broke the battery door on the 650 lumen version removing it from my HD pistol the day I got the 800 lumen version and have yet to ship it in to get fixed.

As for comparing the two, they honestly seem to be about the same brightness, but the 650 lumen has a diamond shaped beam with a smaller hotspot compared the other one seeming to have a rounder, wider hotspot and spill, from what I recall in comparing them. Also seems to me that the light from the 800 lumen version had a warmer hue compared to the 650 having a slightly blue tint to it.

I surely wouldn’t pass up a good deal on a Surefire if it was in the budget. I think Streamlight makes a good product, but I’ve broken one, I know another guy who has broken one and there was at least one thread on this forum in the last few years about a police officer who has dealt with dozens of broken Streamlights. There’s a few parts they could change from plastic to aluminum and vastly improve their reliability, and they’re generally more vulnerable to breakage when they’re not mounted to a weapon, but they’re not junk by any means.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Wait for Black Friday, I bet you'll be able to get an X300U for the $180 price range.

What stores should I keep an eye on?

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several of both. Surefire in every way but cost.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

What stores should I keep an eye on?

I use this website all the time. It lists new deals on the front page but you can search for specific items (firearms or non-firearms).

https://gun.deals/

With Black Friday coming, you just have to be on the lookout. Primary Arms, Aim Surplus, PSA, etc in addition to that deals website.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to go with the Surefire. Time to start scowering the net for BF sales.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Sure is more durable than the stream light in my experience.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both great lights. Both great customer relations and warranty.

The vast majority of users will not get double the money in value out of the Surefire. I own and use both and have had both literally since the original X200 (and every model since) and original TLR-1 (pre C4 LED model). My agency issues the TLR-1 and we've probably got 100 of them out there on handguns and long guns with no issue.

I slightly prefer the switching and color hue of the Surefire.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have both. I prefer the TLR switch by a LARGE margin.

My home defense pistol wears a TLR2 light, the highest compliment I can give it. Money is no option in my household, for the best equipment.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post