SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W M&P Shield .45 finally got to shoot it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W M&P Shield .45 finally got to shoot it Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Finally made it to the range today as part of the, "Fuck it, it's my birthday and I'm going to do whatever the hell I want day." Overall I'm impressed with the pistol. It seems to have a much softer recoil than my former Glock 36. The trigger isn't terrible, but it's not match grade either. Debating if I want to go the Apex route with it. Put 5 different types of ammo through it shooting with both hands, strong hand, weak hand, rapid and slow fire, no hiccups at all.

The original thought with the discounted price and the rebate it would become a gun I could lock in the vault in the truck. After shooting it today and the compact size and light weight, it may very well earn a spot in my carry rotation.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not everyone's experience is the same with the S&W 45 Shield. My example is problematic with Speer 200Gr+P LE GDHP, Federal LE 230Gr HST, Remington Golden Saber 230Gr BJHP and WWB 230Gr FMJ. Sporadic failures to feed thus chamber.It appears my example has the magazines with the old style follower. S&W has up dated the follower. We are waiting on Smith & Wesson to supply us with new magazine followers. If those doesn't resolve the problem the 45 Shield goes to S&W for warranty service.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
This is my carry gun. It's a pleasure to shoot. I use HST 230. The grip feels much better than the 9/40.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
This is my carry gun. It's a pleasure to shoot. I use HST 230. The grip feels much better than the 9/40.

I got one during the rebate promotion. VERY soft shooter, feels like shooting .22 compared to my usual 357 sig in my HK P2000sk.

It is a nice pistol, but that texture is killer on my lovehandles. It motivated me to get back on my diet!! In the meantime, I took some sandpaper to the body side and backstrap of the grip just to make it tolerable.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Very happy with mine also though I have only fired it with 230 gr ball ammo.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster:
quote:

I got one during the rebate promotion. VERY soft shooter, feels like shooting .22 compared to my usual 357 sig in my HK P2000sk.

It is a nice pistol, but that texture is killer on my lovehandles. It motivated me to get back on my diet!! In the meantime, I took some sandpaper to the body side and backstrap of the grip just to make it tolerable.

Get Dustin at Ozarks Holster Company to make you a holster with leather that goes up between the grip and your skin. I have had him do it for any pistol I carry, and he doesn't charge very much extra for it.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I was impressed when I shot it for the first time.

The only bad part is I bought mine before the rebate :-/

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
quote:
quote:

Get Dustin at Ozarks Holster Company to make you a holster with leather that goes up between the grip and your skin. I have had him do it for any pistol I carry, and he doesn't charge very much extra for it.

N82 also makes the full grip holsters.
https://n82tactical.com/

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had an N82Tactical "Pro" model for my Glock ages ago and HATED it. I could not get used to the crazy "twist-out" retention system. I see that they now have an ambassador line with normal passive retention, so I may consider them again.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had an N82Tactical "Pro" model for my Glock ages ago and HATED it. I could not get used to the crazy "twist-out" retention system. I see that they now have an ambassador line with normal passive retention, so I may consider them again.

I hated the twist out too. So I just dremeled the indent that is used for retention out and now it's very nice.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks this would be great with a 4-4.25" barrel? I'm sketchy on really short barrel .45s.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F.Y.I. There is a compact version of the full size .45 M&P - it has a a 4" barrel and an eight rd magazine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've got the apex duty/carry kit in mine and the trigger and it is well worth it. Really short take up and reset and a nice crisp break.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I got one during the rebate sale also. I've put a couple hundred rounds of 230 grain hardball down the pipe just to break it in, along with a few magazines of Gold Dot, which it fed smoothly.

I've got it in my truck console at the moment and slide it into my pocket when I have to go somewhere after work.

All in all, I'm VERY pleased so far.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My example of the 45-S&W-Shield is being returned under warranty to S&W. S&W sent me the authorization with the FedEx prepaid 2nd day air shipping label. Sporadic failures to feed thus chamber even with 230Gr-FMJ.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post