SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Accuracy of Spring Armory 1911 Range Officer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of Spring Armory 1911 Range Officer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
I dont know what you understand as extrem accuracy. I´m shooting a lot of target competition in the 9mm class. Successful pistols seen in such events are SIG P210, S&W 952, any CZ75 sporters, X-Series SIGSauers, any SIGSauer sporters and when its owner has a good day the odd HK sporter. Owners of 9mm 1911 type pistols show up once in a while alo but they dont make into the top 10 of the score list.

I´mean look. What does range officer mean? It´s the authority on the range, enforcing security, giving aid to less experienced shooters and looking cool doing it. That´s not what I´m associating with extreme accurate shooting Wink

Range Officer is just something that the Marketing Division comes up with to sell more guns. In target competition is it the gun model producing most of the accuracy or is it that competition shooters like these models?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
For $1100 you can get something like a CZ75 Tactical Sport which is pretty damn accurate. My most accurate 9mm is an $1200 Tanfoglio Limited Elite.

An HK USP Expert or Elite will also give you some damn good accuracy. Usually found in the $1100 range.

Springfield’s have good barrel lock up’s and excellent slide to frame fits. If you have match bushing fitted you will get very good accuracy.

I do not see the HK USP Expert or Elite on HK's USA website. Are these models still available new?

They are made in small runs. Buds has the expert in 9mm available now as well as the elite in 45. The 45 is on sale and a steal at $940.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that a CZ Shadow 2 is going to most closely match the OP's stared requirements. P210's are $500 more.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
I dont know what you understand as extrem accuracy. I´m shooting a lot of target competition in the 9mm class. Successful pistols seen in such events are SIG P210, S&W 952, any CZ75 sporters, X-Series SIGSauers, any SIGSauer sporters and when its owner has a good day the odd HK sporter. Owners of 9mm 1911 type pistols show up once in a while alo but they dont make into the top 10 of the score list.

I´mean look. What does range officer mean? It´s the authority on the range, enforcing security, giving aid to less experienced shooters and looking cool doing it. That´s not what I´m associating with extreme accurate shooting Wink

Range Officer is just something that the Marketing Division comes up with to sell more guns. In target competition is it the gun model producing most of the accuracy or is it that competition shooters like these models?

It´s a mixture of both. It´s proven desings for competition shooting with excellen ergonomy. There is not many designs out there that offer a similar attibuts. You mith add the Pardini GP to the list but then it´s pretty much done in the 9mm class.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SA Range Officer is a mass produced pistol built to a price point. You might get lucky and find one "extremely accurate" but you might not. It is a good base gun for gunsmith accurizing, but that runs the cost up pretty fast.

S&W M952 has been out of production a good while and are reselling at high prices.

I haven't seen HKs and CZs shot for "extreme accuracy." Will they hold the NRA X ring?

The P210 American is getting good reviews. I think you would be well off to save up for one.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want an accurate gun here is a CZ 75 TS 9mm.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
If you want an accurate gun here is a CZ 75 TS 9mm.

Great picture and pistol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
......I haven't seen HKs and CZs shot for "extreme accuracy." Will they hold the NRA X ring?

HK does not. CZ does. The X ring is 0.67" @ 25yds. Best groups shot form a Ransom rest was 1", over all 1.5" similar to a P210. Both is plenty to touch the X ring. The challenging part of the CZ is not its accuracy bu the trigger. Caliber gun magazin did the test. Pubished are the result here: http://www.waffen-oschatz.de/c...t-ii-vergleichstest/
In German of course.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I think that a CZ Shadow 2 is going to most closely match the OP's stared requirements. P210's are $500 more.

Only an idiot would pay $1700 for a 210A. They have a dealer cost of $1259ish and I can be had online for $1350ish.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that my 9mm RO isn't extremely accurate. With Black Hills 124gr match ball it is at best a 4" gun at 25 yards. That's good enough for action pistol but not even starting accuracy for bullseye.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Only an idiot would pay $1700 for a 210A. They have a dealer cost of $1259ish and I can be had online for $1350ish.

I've seen Shadow 2's for under $1000.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wanted to get a extremely accurate 9mm pistol and was looking at the Springfield Armory range officer 9mm. Does anyone have any opinions on the pistol regarding accuracy and how would compare to my SIG 2264 accuracy?

Thank you and happy shooting

The Springfield Armory range officer 9mm's had a reputation for having notoriously sloppy barrel/bushing fit effecting accuracy.

Personally I'd look for a used Dan Wesson, or new Colt Competition 9mm that has all of the bells and whistles you'd want in a range gun. I'm very happy with mine. I have a CZ 75 SA that is extremely accurate also. For the difference in price you could have a trigger job done and a few extra's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I can tell you that my 9mm RO isn't extremely accurate. With Black Hills 124gr match ball it is at best a 4" gun at 25 yards. That's good enough for action pistol but not even starting accuracy for bullseye.

Thank you for the advice and post Sgt. gold. Your experience is the type of feedback for which I was looking.

posted Hide Post
At 15-25 yards most pistols are going to look pretty good. My glock 26 will consistently throw 2-1/2 to 3 inch 25 yard groups with NATO ball. What is your accuracy standard you are aiming for ? ( pun intended!) for me extremely accurate is defined as a gun capable of grouping well enough to shoot a perfect score on a 25 yard bullseye slow fire target ( 10 ring about the size of a half dollar.it would be rare to find a production gun under 1000 bucks capable of that. There is enough variability in tolerances on production guns like the RO you might get one that is a nail driver and the next one off the line only barely meets acceptable criteria

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
At 15-25 yards most pistols are going to look pretty good. My glock 26 will consistently throw 2-1/2 to 3 inch 25 yard groups with NATO ball. What is your accuracy standard you are aiming for ? ( pun intended!) for me extremely accurate is defined as a gun capable of grouping well enough to shoot a perfect score on a 25 yard bullseye slow fire target ( 10 ring about the size of a half dollar.it would be rare to find a production gun under 1000 bucks capable of that. There is enough variability in tolerances on production guns like the RO you might get one that is a nail driver and the next one off the line only barely meets acceptable criteria

Very good point thanks for the post

posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the comments that you are getting are from people who have never fired a Range Officer. My Range Officer 9mm is VERY tightly fitted, slide, barrel, barrel bushing, everything. I've been very impressed with it. At 25 yards it will shoot 5 shot groups that run just at 1.25 inches with ammo that it likes. Sights are first rate. Trigger is quite good for a 1911. It was tight enough that it took 100 rounds or so to break in and become totally reliable. It has a tight chamber that doesn't like sloppy reloads, though quality reloads work just fine, as does quality factory ammo. All in all, a first rate pistol (and that's from a REALLY picky engineer who actually owns and shoots one...)
It's not as accurate as my Browning HiPower GP Comp (which shoots better than any Sig 210 I've fired.. and can produce 5 shot 25 yard groups under an inch..), but for the money, my Range Officer does extremely well and is one of my favorite target pistols....

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1

I have a similar experience with my SA Loaded 9mm.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2:
I think a lot of the comments that you are getting are from people who have never fired a Range Officer. My Range Officer 9mm is VERY tightly fitted, slide, barrel, barrel bushing, everything. I've been very impressed with it. At 25 yards it will shoot 5 shot groups that run just at 1.25 inches with ammo that it likes. Sights are first rate. Trigger is quite good for a 1911. It was tight enough that it took 100 rounds or so to break in and become totally reliable. It has a tight chamber that doesn't like sloppy reloads, though quality reloads work just fine, as does quality factory ammo. All in all, a first rate pistol (and that's from a REALLY picky engineer who actually owns and shoots one...)
It's not as accurate as my Browning HiPower GP Comp (which shoots better than any Sig 210 I've fired.. and can produce 5 shot 25 yard groups under an inch..), but for the money, my Range Officer does extremely well and is one of my favorite target pistols....

I the GP Comp the Grand Power X Caliber https://grandpower.eagleimport...r/firearms/x-calibur ?

posted Hide Post
No, the HiPower GP Competition was a match pistol based on the HiPower and built by FN in the 1980's. Some were imported by Browning and others were imported by FN. It has a 6 inch barrel with a muzzle weight, a modified trigger system, a cheap looking sheet metal rear sight that does actually work quite well, and is superbly accurate. They are not real common, but are around. Here's a link to an article on them:
http://hipowersandhandguns.com...petition%20Model.htm

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
STI TROJAN from Dawson Precision
Les Baer Premier II with accuracy guarantee
CZ custom shadow
Glock 34

Those are all of my favorite/accurate shooters. The STI is crazy easy to shoot.

I’m not really not a Springfield guy to start with but the range officer is just going to be a high production pistol with an accurate name.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post