SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Discarding sabots - ever used on small arms?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discarding sabots - ever used on small arms? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, all. Smile

Looks like an idea that has been tried, but with practical issues in execution; the devil is in the details.

Very interesting.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
To echo what Sigfreund said, that's more or less the experience from the InRangeTV video I referenced (sample size of only 2 rounds, though). The one round keyhole, likely because the sabot broke up.

Seems that sabots work well for tanks, but not so well for small arms.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

These days, they'd probably be worried about the armor piercing potential, too.

My understanding is that ceramic plates work by being harder than the bullet, so the bullet shatters on impact, but the also-common polymer plates work by "catching" the bullets and performance is velocity-dependent.

I suspect a 55 grain bullet going 4000+ fps out of a 30-06 would zip right through a polymer plate.

Of course, there are plenty of other ways to get a bullet going really fast.

And you would be incorrect. Steel plates were prone to failure at higher velocities. Higher velocity rounds were a reason that ceramic plates were invented. That and weight. Even if you took a hit from one of these rounds up close, it is highly doubtful that a quality ceramic plate would give. Adding any distance and you loose a ton of stability on these types of rounds.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

These days, they'd probably be worried about the armor piercing potential, too.

My understanding is that ceramic plates work by being harder than the bullet, so the bullet shatters on impact, but the also-common polymer plates work by "catching" the bullets and performance is velocity-dependent.

I suspect a 55 grain bullet going 4000+ fps out of a 30-06 would zip right through a polymer plate.

Of course, there are plenty of other ways to get a bullet going really fast.

And you would be incorrect. Steel plates were prone to failure at higher velocities. Higher velocity rounds were a reason that ceramic plates were invented. That and weight. Even if you took a hit from one of these rounds up close, it is highly doubtful that a quality ceramic plate would give. Adding any distance and you loose a ton of stability on these types of rounds.

Read again - I was saying that I didn't think it would matter as much for ceramic plates, but that it might with polymer plates.

There are a lot of polymer plates with ceramic strike faces, but there are also plates that are just a solid block of UHMWPE.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My reading is just fine. It is your post that is incorrect.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Can you provide a reference for UHMWPE plates reliably stopping MUCH faster projectiles than the NIJ standards test for?

Velocity certainly seems to matter since military body armor standards test for "V50," the velocity at which 50% of the projectiles penetrate the armor.

If nothing else, any piece of armor is limited by the amount of energy it can absorb, and higher velocity means more energy.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post