SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Identifying DAO and DAK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identifying DAO and DAK Login/Join 
posted
Can the difference between a DAO and DAK be recognized only visually, from a photo? There's a GB seller with several DAO police trade ins and I recall seeing that many police guns were DAK.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The DAK doesn't have a hammer spur

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roym:
Yes. The DAK doesn't have a hammer spur

A quick web image search would have shown me that, lol. Brain fog.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The most obvious way to distinguish between DAK and old style DAO is by the hammers.
Below, left to right: common DA/SA hammer; “sport” DA/SA hammer; DAO hammer; “bobbed” DAO hammer; DAK hammer.

The bobbed DAO hammer is uncommon, but as pictured does not have a spur. Its shape is obviously somewhat different from the DAK’s.

Pistol with DAK hammer.

It is usually not possible to determine by external appearance of the hammer whether it’s DA/SA or DAO, but of course a DAO pistol will not normally have a decocking lever.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The most obvious way to distinguish between DAK and old style DAO is by the hammers.
Below, left to right: common DA/SA hammer; “sport” DA/SA hammer; DAO hammer; “bobbed” DAO hammer; DAK hammer.

The bobbed DAO hammer is uncommon, but as pictured does not have a spur. Its shape is obviously somewhat different from the DAK’s.

Pistol with DAK hammer.

It is usually not possible to determine by external appearance of the hammer whether it’s DA/SA or DAO, but of course a DAO pistol will not normally have a decocking lever.

Another perhaps 'dumb' question: The DAO model hammer would not cock manually because it's missing the extra notch as shown in picture above, right?

And is there a case where a DAO model would have a decocker?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
The DAO model hammer would not cock manually because it's missing the extra notch as shown in picture above, right?

Exactly. The DAO hammers lack the single action cocking notch.

There would be no reason for a DAO to have the decocker, but conceivably someone could convert from DA/SA to DAO without removing it. It wouldn’t do anything, but as far as I can determine (without actually having tried it), it would have no effect on anything either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
Can the difference between a DAO and DAK be recognized only visually, from a photo? There's a GB seller with several DAO police trade ins and I recall seeing that many police guns were DAK.

Whats the going price?

I got one here...

https://www.recoilgunworks.com...ndition-p-59013.html

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post