SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handled a couple of AREX Pistols Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handled a couple of AREX Pistols Today Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
This was my first time handling them and you know these seem like very quality pieces. The DA trigger is nothing to write home about but everything else is quite nice.

I cannot speak to shooting but in handling the fit, finish and overall feel was excellent on the couple examples I played with.

At any rate just thought I’d share.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have a Rex Zero 1 and a Rex Delta. I have not fired the Zero 1 yet. I have taken the Delta to the range. I quite like it. Once I had the right size grip setup it is a good, flat shooter.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
There has been little posting of these guns here. I've seen several videos about them. Seems like a nice alternative to Sig P series when they can no longer be had. At least one model, the switches seem a little too rich. I also took notice of the height with tac rail. Wouldnt mind at all learning more and handling one.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Arex Alpha and have for a couple years. It's a really nice, smooth shooting gun with an excellent SA trigger, good adjustable sights, and solid, very 226-like ergos. I don't shoot it much anymore as I'm about 95% dot-centric these days, but I'd recommend it to anybody.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
There has been little posting of these guns here. I've seen several videos about them. Seems like a nice alternative to Sig P series when they can no longer be had. At least one model, the switches seem a little too rich. I also took notice of the height with tac rail. Wouldnt mind at all learning more and handling one.

There was a large thread when they first came out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I recall the thread jl. I went again and watched the Hicock45 video showing the compact model. They are a good running pistol, quite like a Sig. I consider the decocker/slide release a bit strange. The guns do have some nice features.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DA FEELS like 30 LBS. they can be smooth, but you cannot easily tune them.

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Any new owners yet? Has anyone shot them for accuracy? How heavy is the DA pull?

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the original REX Zero 01 standard and compact that I bought several years ago. Don’t shoot them a lot, but have never had an issue, always ran fine. And, yes, the dicocker/slide release is a little funky and takes some getting used to, but doesn’t come into play once you’re shooting. Accuracy is as good, or better, than what I can determine with my non-marksman skills. I'll get them out later and check the double action pull, it is heavy.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I handled one at LGS a while back and was very meh about it and yeah the trigger was not so good, especially DA on the one I handled. Read on another forum where a guy bought one that was DOA out of the box and AREX would not pay to have it shipped back to repair at that time. I don't know if that is still the case though.

Have not read much about them lately. Initially there was a lot of interest after a You Tube "influencer" super hyped them up, sold them on his website, and basically declared they were superior to SIG classic P series, at least in reliability due to his "extensive" backyard bucket of dirt and water hose testing. Roll Eyes

I was surprised how high they were priced. For what they were priced I would look at a similar priced metal frame pistol from Beretta, CZ, or CPO SIG. Longer term with newer imports there is often a concern about parts availability, warranty coverage, and service for longer term ownership.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tooky and grumpy. Think that back yard bucket of dirt guy is on MAC. His tests stopped the Beretta in its tracks. I would never do that to any nice pistol. That said, dont plan on crawling through sand, dirt or mud with a pistol. I trust the Beretta, Sig, H&K and Glock unfettered. The H&K and Beretta are my 1st choices. Was kind of hoping a Arex has evolved, all the bugs worked out.

posted Hide Post
When they first came out, I thought the Zero 1 would make an economy alternative to a P226 SAO. I could ignore the tough DA and use the control lever - more prominent than a Sig slide stop - only as a slide release.
But I got over it.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Arex's first mistake was their name. They can't make up their mind if it's Arex or Rex.

Mistake #2 was w/ the Zero 1. They couldn't make up their minds if they wanted it to be a SIG P-classic clone or CZ 75 clone. It doesn't have to be either or, but they should have made it use the same mags as either SIG or CZ. Both designs have been around so long, I can't imagine that there's any licensing fee involved. That's one of the things that kept me from seriously considering the Zero-1.

They're improving though. I got a Delta last year and think it's an excellent value. They took some cues from the P-10C, so the Delta fits most G19 holsters and is compatible w/ P-10C mags. I prefer my Delta to a bone-stock G19, and you can get a Delta for under $400.

The Alpha is a very nice looking comp gun. Its SA trigger pull is outstanding and comparable to the SA on pistols that cost 50-100% more.

Arex is expanding its Delta platform a lot for 2021. If they put out more guns like the Alpha & Delta, I think they'll develop a following and get some traction in the market the way Canik has in recent years.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We carried the Rex Zero 1 when they first hit the market. To me they seemed good for the money since it was priced about $200 or so less than a comparable P226 or P229 at the time. The stock grip panels were rather chintzy in feel, its DA trigger wasn't quite to the level of a classic SIG but otherwise the model seemed reasonably worth the money.

But not too long after SIG came out with their Classic Carry guns with much more aggressive pricing and at least from a retailing standpoint that was pretty much all she wrote for the Arex. From that moment on, between the "cheap" SIG classics and CZ 75 pricing, few of our customers bothered looking at the Rex Zero 1. We dropped the price to move the guns and then dropped Arex once the last one sold.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post