SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Custom RUGER MKII - Just Back From the Machine Shop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom RUGER MKII - Just Back From the Machine Shop Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I purchased this pistol new in 2003 but sold it to a buddy of mine shortly after it was recovered from ~8 feet of water following a boating accident near East Brady, PA (yes, it really does happen Cool ). After being in his possession for over a dozen years, I recently reacquired it as a project pistol. The barrel has been chopped to 4", slab-sided and threaded for a SilencerCo Sparrow. Volquartsen upgrades include their TL rear target sight, bolt tune-up kit and Posi-Lock bolt latch. At 4" it has an admittedly odd feel, though I suspect with the can attached it will balance quite well.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, that thing looks sharp. Cool

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Nice! Rugers are my favorite rimfires. They are a good intelligence test as well--those that can reassemble them and those that can't. Wink

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That really is an eye catcher. The MKII is my favorite 22 plinking pistol. Who did the work on yours if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about having some custom work done on one. As a side note, back in the summer of 1989 I bought a Poly Tech AK rifle from a gunshop near East Brady called "Sports Shack". Ever been there?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Stylish operator tool. Wink

Very nice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usp_fan:
Nice! Rugers are my favorite rimfires. They are a good intelligence test as well--those that can reassemble them and those that can't. Wink

Absolutely! I have also gotten a couple of them very cheap at the pawn shop because the were 'broken'. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
At the shorter barrel length how is it on paper?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
That really is an eye catcher. The MKII is my favorite 22 plinking pistol. Who did the work on yours if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking about having some custom work done on one. As a side note, back in the summer of 1989 I bought a Poly Tech AK rifle from a gunshop near East Brady called "Sports Shack". Ever been there?

The machine work was performed by John Vincent at Hallston Custom Machining in Slippery Rock, PA. It was John's idea to slab the barrel to remove the remainder of the Ruger factory warning. I am familiar with the Sport Shack in East Brady, PA. Their parent company, Sportsman's Supply in Butler, PA is one of the largest shops in our area.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. He did a good job for you there. What I was wanting to do on one of mine is have the 4" tapered barrel replaced with a stouter one like on yours.

I've been to Sportsman's Supply in Butler once or twice too. Almost forgot about them being connected to Sports Shack.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who will replace the barrel on a MKII?? Because I also have a MKII with the tapered barrel and would like to replace it with a heavy threaded 4”.

Posts: 634 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:
Does anyone know who will replace the barrel on a MKII?? Because I also have a MKII with the tapered barrel and would like to replace it with a heavy threaded 4”.

I've been told changing a Ruger MK I/II/III barrel is very challenging. Check out Wirthwein Guns for more information on Ruger upper receivers & barrels. I don't think they do any smithing, though if a qualified smith exists they can probably direct you.

https://www.wirthweinguns.com/Ruger-MK-Uppers.php

posted Hide Post
I really like that shortened barrel. Volquartsen offers one like that and it has intrigued me to the point where I just take the plunge.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post