SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FiveSeven owners step inside, please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FiveSeven owners step inside, please. Login/Join 
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I always wanted one. Got one. Was unimpressed. Sold it.

Reasons:

1. Not as accurate as I hoped (added a red dot but not a big enough improvement)
2. The ergos were not good for me (YMMV)
3. The trigger on mine was deplorable
4. I am in CT so could only carry 10 rounds so no advantage there.

I really wanted to like it but just couldn't.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockyriver:
If you want the gun for the collectible part or the novelty of the caliber and gun, You will be happy with the 5.7. But for real world self defense there are better options on calibers and guns. IMHO, YMMV.

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at, honestly. Like I say, I've got 9mm Glocks for carry. I don't think I'd actually want to carry the FiveSeven, though it might make a decent nightstand gun, again, I've got 9mm Glocks for that.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPrimo:

Reasons:

1. Not as accurate as I hoped (added a red dot but not a big enough improvement)

Really, wow. I had the version just after the IOM. I really liked the trigger, no it was not 1911 good, but it was not terrrible either. Mine was a tack driver.

I have heard and read similar reviews of the newer versions. However knowing you, I am now worried about pick up a newer version.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the different versions, but the one I handled and dry-fired yesterday is new and the trigger was far from deplorable.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the cerakoted IOM.
The range I frequent has a FiveSeven rental gun which I have done a few times.
I really like it, but the initial investment and ammo costs are just to much.
Conversion barrels for 22 TCM/9R for Glocks show up every now and then too. The RIA MAPP pistols look interesting too. But 22 TCM ammo is only avaiable from Armscor.
I got a Kel-Tec PMR-30 to satisfy my big muzzle flash needs. Well, that and my Steyr L-A1 in 357 SIG Smile

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
added a red dot

How does one put a red dot on a 5.7?
At this point I'm 10K+ rounds downrange with a 5.7 or a PS90. other than its different I still struggle with any concept that its the best at doing something with the ammo we get. I'm not selling mine, but I don't sell anything. I have accumulated enough ammo to enjoy them no matter what happens to supply (which is a constant issue). But IF I wasn't invested in the current situation it would be hard for me to get in for anything like a rational reason.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
You know you want it. Give in to the dark side and get it.

Posts: 442 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by MPrimo:

Reasons:

Really, wow. I had the version just after the IOM. I really liked the trigger, no it was not 1911 good, but it was not terrrible either. Mine was a tack driver.

I have heard and read similar reviews of the newer versions. However knowing you, I am now worried about pick up a newer version.

Grouse, it was a newer version for sure. The trigger actually hurt my finger (ergo) and was not crisp or particularly light. I did put a Venom red dot on it so I could really see how much dot movement I had during the triggering process. Maybe I had a lemon but it was not good for me.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned one a few years ago. I did not mind it as a range toy. I thought the trigger was good ergonomics were pretty good. At the time I owned it ammo was hard to find, knew a guy that really really wanted it so I sold it.
Never really regretted selling but if I found a great deal on one, I would buy.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has had one for nine years. She likes it.

FN should be selling them for about half of what they charge. What the heck makes this cost over $1,000 ?

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:

Honestly, though I didn't say as much and it's not a huge factor since she has zero interest in shooting, I also want to find something my wife can shoot. She has some degenerative wrist issue that causes severe problems with grip when doing certain things like typing (part of her job) or anything involving grip strength. I've gotten her to work with me a few times on familiarizing her on how to work a handgun and the only ones I've owned that she can work the slide on are a Glock 42 and a Colt 1908, both are .380, and I wouldn't mind finding something a little easier on the hands that has some zip to it. As I say, not a huge factor in my decision process since she trends anywhere from disinterest in guns to annoyance since she grew up far removed from them, but still a part of my consideration. Some day, when she's ready (stubborn mule, this one), she'll decide she wants to learn to shoot, and something easy to work and shoot will be good to have in the safe, ready to go.
quote:
FN should be selling them for about half of what they charge. What the heck makes this cost over $1,000 ?

I agree, honestly. They remind me a bit of HK in this regard, expensive because it's good and a little more expensive because they have that name on the side of the gun. I'm not dumping on HK, I've got two in the safe, but one of them is going to turn into an just FN because.

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Oh, what to say? What to say?

Fully loaded, with 21 rounds she's lighter than an empty Glock 19. With 2 spare mags, you could be walking down da street with 61 rounds on you. You can easily store 25 or 30 boxes of 50 in a .30 cal ammo can.

Now, the not so good. She just doesn't live up to the hype. Shye's a tumbling, devastating round, but defeating Level III body armor ... NOT HAPPENING !!

Even though she doesn't meet her expectations, I haven't even thought of trading her off.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pistol while interesting just didn't appeal to me or fit me well. Did buy the PS90 and enjoying it very much. Have bought my ammo from Target Sports USA and Ammo Depot.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:

My thought exactly!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
people buy everyone they make. I've never seen one languishing on a shelf locally.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I believe you, but how many do LGSs actually order?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course no idea as I don't have anyway to know that. But I do converse periodically with the local FN rep about availability my local dealer has on order for me and he says you will eventually get what you order. And since every single one I've seen on a shelf was gone within a day or so I'd say dealers probably try and order them. But typically (and I know this from SCAR buying) what they order they don't get at least in any reasonable time. But I'm pretty sure FN is selling just about everything they make at the volumes they choose to make it that people want (excluding stuff like the 509/FNS). But in the end all this doesn't matter, like the price and buy it, don't and don't buy it. Works that way for lots of stuff.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
True. I admit to being curious, though, as to how FN chose the price point that it did.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post