SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FiveSeven owners step inside, please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FiveSeven owners step inside, please. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I located a new one in a shop and got to handle and dry-fire it (with permission). I was impressed with the weight (next to nothing), balance (superb) and the trigger was startlingly good. I know there’s a few members here that carry them but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen any discussion and the details are lost to me. Used to be that ammo was stupidly expensive and it’s still not cheap to shoot, but I’ve got 9mm guns for fun and carry. I want something interesting and different before this stupid state law goes into effect his coming July. I had been looking at some various rifle options and may be set on trying to get a PS-90, and it would only make sense to pick up the only other gun that fires the same round if I’m going to do so.

So, general thoughts and feedback? Any tips or suggestions? I didn’t have a ton of interest in it before and need to do some more research, but I think it just might be something I might like to own.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one for 2 years guve or take.

I like the safety placement.

I like being able to put 5 rounds on target in the same time that i could normally put 3 rounds of 9 down range.

What i dislike.

197 is not a self defense round.

197 is no 2k fps. It is barely 1500 out of the pistol

195 is a better round but super spendy

195 is about 1900 fps out of the pistol

The fireball at night is blinding.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
If you find yourself in a really bad spot and that 21 rounds isn’t enough, a few extra loaded mags on your person is also crazy light!

And as DSgrouse eluded to, the recoil is almost nothing.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have actually tried to carry a 5.7 those extra mags are stupidly hard to carry. Big and awkward and annoying.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've had a few and currently own an IOM model. I prefer the early ones...the Gen 2 in the blue bubble cases are larger overall at the grip undercut and just don't feel as good.

Here's mine....I figured a good way to piss off the FNH cogniscenti was to cerakote an overpriced early IOM. :-P

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want one soo bad but I want to not pay that much for one even more.. if good ammo wasn’t so expensive I’d probably pick one up eventually. But if I get one I’ll have to get a PS90, damn it’s hard to talk myself out of it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SG Ammo has the SS198LF round as an option.

It is a great handgun for the recoil sensitive.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I want one soo bad but I want to not pay that much for one even more.. if good ammo wasn’t so expensive I’d probably pick one up eventually. But if I get one I’ll have to get a PS90, damn it’s hard to talk myself out of it

Buy a .22TCM, it's the poorman's fiveseven. Giant flash, 2000 fps, very little recoil.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...hp/products_id/35225

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine. Limited recoil, ammo has come down a lot in price. American Eagle ammo performs just as well. Reliable fun to shoot.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 5.7 combo. Love the way both the pistol and the PS90 handle. Very reliable and enjoyable to shoot.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I've had a few and currently own an IOM model. I prefer the early ones...the Gen 2 in the blue bubble cases are larger overall at the grip undercut and just don't feel as good.

Here's mine....I figured a good way to piss off the FNH cogniscenti was to cerakote an overpriced early IOM. :-P

I like your version the best.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
FWIW, SGAMMO has bricks of 5.7 on sale right now.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...ammo-sale/57x28-ammo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, price has co.e down considerably.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
If you have actually tried to carry a 5.7 those extra mags are stupidly hard to carry. Big and awkward and annoying.

I have. More than a few times.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, I had the use of a FiveSeven pistol for several months. I sure did consider it "interesting and different". It was so different, I didn't consider it very practical for much of anything, and declined when I had the opportunity to buy it for a very reasonable price. Wish now that I'd purchased it, just because it was so different.

BTW, I chronographed the FN SS192 ammo in the pistol. Averaged 2025 FPS. Pretty impressive velocity I thought from a pistol length barrel.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot my friends 5.7 pistol. Fun. But unless I had a PS90 (way more fun) to match it, pass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
What’s the advantage over a polymer framed 9mm firing Liberty Ammo’s 50 grn at 2000fps? My P320 has a 21 round magazine that is very light with 50 grn ammo in it. I had a 5.7 at one time, but didn’t see the reason for it.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I had a 5.7 at one time, but didn’t see the reason for it.

Since when have we EVER needed a reason for another gun? Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I had a 5.7 at one time, but didn’t see the reason for it.

Since when have we EVER needed a reason for another gun? Smile

I639 is my reason. After July 1, 2019, I'm done buying anything semi-auto until I leave Washington state. I'm not doing registration and forfeiting my HIPAA rights forever to buy a gun.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rockyriver
posted Hide Post
If you want the gun for the collectible part or the novelty of the caliber and gun, You will be happy with the 5.7. But for real world self defense there are better options on calibers and guns. IMHO, YMMV.

Posts: 38 | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post