SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig OEM Grey pistol box Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig OEM Grey pistol box Question Login/Join 
posted
I have some OEM Boxes that the fitted foam is disintegrating. I called Sig C/S and they had no solution. Does anybody have this problem? How do you replace the foam? Thanks

Posts: 109 | Registered: May 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
I have used Pelican Foam when the factory stuff turns to dust. I use pelican cases, totes, and crates for shipping electronic equipment and their foam is strong, durable, and easy to customize with a jig saw and razor knife. Here is site where we get new foam to convert a case for a different piece of equipment.

https://www.foamerica.com/Sear...at=21&show=30&page=1

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I purchased foam sheet from JoAnn Fabric. They had a couple different densities. Go for the highest. I chose 1" thick, easy to put one layer in cut the next and lay it in. The lady at the measuring table pointed out some spray adhesive that allegedly worked well to glue the foam sheets together. I didn't glue anything, might want to change it later.

JoAnn's uses an electric food carving knife, which gave very good cuts. I used one for the big squares but used a steel rule and razor knife for the cut outs.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dave. I've looked at Pelican and I had hoped to buy something premade. It seems like I can't be the only one that has this problem.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, P35 I'll look into that.

posted Hide Post
First approach was store Sigs in plastic sealable storage bags in the old Sig boxes with foam, worked ok. Then I purchased about a dozen sheets of S&W VCI paper to replace old worn paper for my vintage S&W revolvers. Thought why not use same paper for the Sigs. Worked better than I hoped, much better fit in foam box for both the Sig pistol and spare mag.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the electric carving knife or exact knife how do you cut this stuff to look professional. I have butchered some pelican cases. For some reason I thought there was a way to like “melt” cut through but I don’t know how.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of "pre-perforated" and "pull-and-tear" foam suppliers out there. From my years in the audio and video world, still the best for custom foam fit is an electric knife, steel ruler, and a Sharpie. Custom fit surrounding something always requires two pieces, one cut, one flat, and glued together for the finished product.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post