SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New To Me Beretta
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To Me Beretta Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I just picked up this 'like new' Italian Beretta 92fs born in 2016.
Many years ago I shot a friend's 92 and didn't like it. I'm going to give it another go. This was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A "D" spring and I would highly suggest the factory "G" conversion that is available now.

I also put factory extended mag catches in mine but you may or may not find it useful.

The first two mods are damn near mandatory.

G Kit
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/

D Spring
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...ar-d-spring/eu00043/

D Spring and Steel trigger kit
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...ammer-spring/e00691/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Nice catch!

On top of what dusty said, if the Beretta grip feels big, consider VZ G10 Thin or Ultra Thin grips. They completely change the feel of the gun for the better.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great advice.
I've got 14lb and 16lb springs on order and I'm learning about the G conversion.
What turned me off years ago was the girth of the grips. Nice to know alternatives are available.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
A "D" spring and I would highly suggest the factory "G" conversion that is available now.

I also put factory extended mag catches in mine but you may or may not find it useful.

The first two mods are damn near mandatory.

G Kit
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/

D Spring
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...ar-d-spring/eu00043/

D Spring and Steel trigger kit
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...ammer-spring/e00691/

^^^^
Agreed. I did this to mine and they made a significant difference.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Looks so much better without the rail.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There's a big difference in the way I get along with Berettas now and the way I did when I was in my 20's. I wouldn't be surprised if it seems to fit you better now.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Nice catch!

On top of what dusty said, if the Beretta grip feels big, consider VZ G10 Thin or Ultra Thin grips. They completely change the feel of the gun for the better.

Definitely do this. Langdon, Wilson ultra thin grips make a huge difference.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
John McClane approves.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
If this is the first 92 you have owned, or have shot extensively, I would shoot it a bit before modifying it.

The first mod should be the lighter hammer spring. Start with the 16# and see what an improvement it is. Then try the 14# if the 16# is not enough for you.

Also, while you are at it, if your 92 uses a roll pin to retain the lanyard loop/hammer spring plug, you should upgrade to a solid dog bone shaped pin.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Kudos on the purchase. I'm a big Beretta fan and am fortunate to own several. Like the others have chimed in - I can't say enough about putting in the D spring and changing it over to the G safety levers. Much nice DA/SA pull and no inadvertent safety engagement when racking the slide. I have small-medium hands and find the Wilson grips to be the sweet spot. I do like the Langdon thin grips but find that I like a little more grip under my support hand. Obviously OMMV so give each a whirl and see which fits you best.

The only down side about getting a 92 is they multiply quickly.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Installed a 14lb spring to along with the 'dog bone' solid pin. I have a 16lb as backup.
It took my single action pull from 5lbs to 4.5lbs.
My spring Wheeler gauge only goes to 8lbs , but double action pull looks to be about 9lbs.
Range trip soon.

Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Installed a 14lb spring to go along with the 'dog bone' solid pin. I have a 16lb as backup.
It took my single action pull from 5lbs to 4.5lbs.
My spring Wheeler gauge only goes to 8lbs , but double action pull looks to be about 9lbs.
Range trip soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice catch!

I couldn’t agree more with this statement. I always believed that the 92 with OEM plastic grip panels worked well until I installed a set of VZ Tactical Slant G10 grips on one of my 92s. After that they were all upgrades with VZ Grips and I strongly recommend this for everyone.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the Hall-of-Fame pistols.
Butter smooth actions.
Everyone should have a Beretta 92 in their collection.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
D spring from day one, no problems.
But I've left mine in F configuration

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've become a big Beretta fan over the last couple of years. D Spring or Trigger Job in a Bag on all of mine. I prefer the FS to G models though. That is purely a personal preference and I totally get why someone else might prefer G.

My personal favorite is a 92FS that I put the Langdon trigger job kit in and replaced the grips with VZ. It is a SWEET shooter.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice catch!

These grips are noticeably smaller, although my meathooks are large. The factory plastic grips are fairly thin, too, but not as thin as the VZs.

The D spring change is really a no-brainer. Easy to perform, and makes a big difference.

The G decocker is less obvious, but still an improvement in most people's minds.

These are really excellent guns. Mine have been the most reliable semi-auto pistols I have had. Even better than SIG.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Took her out to the range today.
The LTT thin grips make it much easier to shoot for me and the 14lb spring presented no problems.
I also ran 250 rounds with the cheap Pro-Mag just for fun. So far so good.
Thanks again guys.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new pistol.The "D" spring makes a world of difference in these guns.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post