SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    44 magnum Ruger Redhawk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 magnum Ruger Redhawk Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Do we like the Redhawk as a mate with the Marlin 1894 lever rifle? I got the Marlin already, and am really looking hard at the 5.5" Ruger.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Redhawk.

A single action pistol would seem a better companion for a 1894, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Redhawk is a great gun. A SA pistol would mate better with it for nostalgia but I am not crazy about the loading/unloading. I had a Blackhawk not long ago for a while but wound up selling it. It was a great gun but for me, other than always wanting it, it didn't serve a real purpose and wound up getting a da/sa revolver instead. I have nothing against a sa pistol and they are great guns. Just comes down to preference.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 4” redhawk for several years, I really like it even though I don’t carry it much anymore since I have pretty much switched to 10mm for woods carry.

The tigers are strong, I like them better than the S&W version, the 629? Maybe?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhh, I’ve been looking at the 5044 model Redhawk with the 4inch barrel.....please someone talk me outta it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a Redhawk, they're great pistols. Personally I don't get into the entire pairing of this pistol and that rifle. I buy what I want, but they would compliment each other in this situation.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
In a former life with the US Secret Service, we were occasionally issued a .480 Ruger Super Redhawk for assignments that involved Protectees hiking out west. This was a bear gun, and saved us from humping a shotgun on a 9 hour hike. Fantastic weapon. No issues whatsoever. Hated giving it back at the end of the assignment.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
In a former life with the US Secret Service, we were occasionally issued a .480 Ruger Super Redhawk for assignments that involved Protectees hiking out west. This was a bear gun, and saved us from humping a shotgun on a 9 hour hike. Fantastic weapon. No issues whatsoever. Hated giving it back at the end of the assignment.

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My purpose is field carry. No nostalgia or coolness involved. Just a good gun with same ammo pair that will serve me well and not make me cry if scratched.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
My purpose is field carry. No nostalgia or coolness involved. Just a good gun with same ammo pair that will serve me well and not make me cry if scratched.

Then the redhawk will do you just fine as would a S+W 629.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Good robust guns if you like em.

Me, I just don't like em. I turned one down for free.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My brother has a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 that I've had the chance to shoot a couple times. I prefer the benefits of the .44 mag for the types of Western critters we are likely to encounter here, but the .480 is a thumper and fun to shoot, in small doses.

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

Ah, great story. Now you've got me wondering what public figure/ protectee would have either the interest or ability to tackle a 9 hour hike in the West.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerald Ford was a Park Ranger and Carter was a fly fisherman. Still neither would hold a candle to Teddy Roosevelt.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I like my 4.2” a lot, even more now with Pachymar grips.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tonight picked up a S&W 629 Deluxe 6.5"
Beautiful revolver.
There's a 5" as well.

The Blackhawk would be your natural fit, though.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I love mine and it has a great trigger. I would look for an older one as someone here said they are now using a shrouded bbl.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Personally I don't get into the entire pairing of this pistol and that rifle

I believe the "pairing" thing comes from SASS, where you shoot a SA pistol and lever action rifle. Pairing pistol and rifle at .44/.44mag or .38/.357 makes reloading for the competition much more efficient.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great revolver buy it...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawks are good guns, but If I'm really thinking "pairing", I'd probably go with one of he single action Ruger 44's. Although in double action guns I prefer S&W.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Well, just be careful. This is how I got into Cowboy Action Shooting. I had a Winchester 1894 in .44 Magnum because I was hunting on the edge of a swamp and a scoped rifle was useless. After running into an alligator, I decided that I needed "bigger medicine" than the 9mm Taurus I was carrying at the time.

SO, I went to the gun show to buy a .44 Revolver thinking that I'd only have to have one caliber like the old West Cowboys. But a Single Action revolver was half the price of the Redhawks or S&W I was seeing, so I picked one up instead. It was then pointed out to me that I ALREADY had half the guns I needed to "play cowboy". I bought a shotgun and a second .44 Super Blackhawk. I then started loading .44 special ammo and playing Cowboy.

Within a few months I had a duplicate of all of them for my wife who then started shooting.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post