SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    +P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

+P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, depending upon the pistol, I use Federal HST 124 grain or Speer Gold Dot 124 grain, both +P and standard pressure loadings of each.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, depending upon the pistol, I use Federal HST 124 grain or Speer Gold Dot 124 grain, both +P and standard pressure loadings of each.

This exactly in my glocks and sigs.... So shorter barrels that can’t take advantage of extra powder get standard (helps with recoil if they are snappy too...)

My 232 that I still carry at times and my 66 2 1/2” get Bonded Golden sabres. Regular pressure.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

But I do not use +P .45 ACP ammo. Ballistic testing has shown that it is of minimal benefit in that caliber.

I wasn't aware of that. There's some Sig ammo on sale on their site for like 35 bucks a box that's +P. Was getting excited to try it in my Sig. You just spoiled my fun, and saved me about 200 bucks.

For the record, I swore allegiance to Gold Dot 124+P and haven't looked back. Honestly I can't even really tell a difference from regular 124 grain.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
+P and +P+ loads in a SIG365 or G43 are not fun. Standard pressure 124 or 147 gr for those guns. No issue with +P or +P+ in compact or full size guns.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, according to the "experts" there is no appreciable difference 9mm, 40S&W, 357 Sig and 45acp. If this is the case then why carry a +P 45cp, 9mm or 165-135 grain 40S&W. One channel recently said there is really no reason to carry a 357 Mag over a 38Spl.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's not yet time for us to have another ride on that merry-go-round, man.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
9BPLE +P+ the track record is what keeps me on this round.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Again, yep...the track record.

I've followed Mas Ayoob over several decades, besides taking his LFI courses. Some may disagree with some of his conclusions on certain matters. What I've always liked though, is he will give you a reason for his choices. He speaks highly of the 9BPLE.

In this case, he wants to see a track record in the field before he makes/recommends a decision on carry ammo. A large volume of real shootings may not be the perfect vehicle for determining effectiveness of handgun loads. However, it beats the hell out of whatever is in second place.

The obvious problem with designing a scientific study of terminal ballistic effects on humans is the lack of volunteers for such a study.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
9BPLE +P+ the track record is what keeps me on this round.

Long ago yes but many rounds are better today.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
HST +P in both 9mm and .45

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
In 9mm, exclusively Underwood 9mm +P+ 124 Grain Bonded JHP (Speer) 1300 fps

In 357 Sig, Again, Underwood 125 Grain Bonded JHP (Speer). 1475 fps.

I'm a firm believer in velocity.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I answered yes, but with the caveat: when available.

9mm - 124 gr Federal HST +p
357 Sig - Speer Gold Dot (no such thing as +p)

I have some full specification 357 Sig from Underwood & DoubleTap, but neither runs well in my P239. Excellent from my P226.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just bought some +p Underwood ammo with my recent Midway order, in part it was in sale. My plan is a bit of testing, then carry ammo, 9mm.

On the site they list the fps with each option, regular, +p, then +p+, ammo. As I recall it may of been 75 FPS or a bit more between them. Of course it would vary with a particular gun should one test themselves.

This talk of +p or +p+ ammo also comes down to amount used. In many instances it would work just fine, though it may ‘accelerate wear’ if used a bunch.

I can’t help but think of shooters who wouldn’t see the difference in 38 SPCL +p for their lightweight J-frame. In the case of 38, the jump to +p is fairly minor.

Anyhow, there can be a difference between a few rounds for testing over 100’s of rounds for routine range shooting.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have to carry what I qualify with at work, so either G19 or Sig P365 it is Winchester Ranger-T 147 grain standard pressure.

It works well with both, and we have good results in the field (though our duty guns are .40).

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Back when I was working we were issued standard velocity. 230 grain Gold Dot and later Winchester RA45T.

Retired, I still use RA45T standard velocity. Having been present for multiple demos using all types of ammo and having watched various tests - I have concluded that there is no advantage to +P in 45. Less penetration in fact. And more wear and tear on the guns.

If I carried a 9mm I would probably reconsider it. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Long ago yes but many rounds are better today.

That is absolutely true from a scientific standpoint but there is no denying the success 9BPLE has had in the real world and real world people haven’t changed all that much in the years since.

Would I prefer a nice 124 grain HST or Gold Dot....yes. Would I kick 9BPLE out of bed for eating crackers......absolutely not.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heavy4Caliber
posted Hide Post
I primarily carry 147gr Federal HST, but I recently picked up 160 rounds of Underwood Gold Dot 124gr +P+ based on testing and comments by tnoutdoors9. So far I've been pleased with UW. For the record, I am carrying the UW a Glock 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcrsOyAa0gY&t=19s

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.” - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Yes and no.

I only use +P in my j-frame, I don't think standard 38 specials are fast enough for self defense.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert on the subject and I appreciate the responses of those here who are.
For me, I’m happy with my 124 gr. in +P for my 239 and 226

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Just curious of how many use it ?

weather its Dept issue gun or just your personal gun.

Totally depends on the weapon. I carry guns with standard pressure and others loaded with +P. Heck I use a HK MK23 SOCOM loaded with .45 Super ammo for deer in the back yard. Not another .45 I would do that with. Depends on the firearm.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post