SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    +P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

+P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll) Login/Join 
posted
Just curious of how many use it ?

weather its Dept issue gun or just your personal gun.

Question:
do you carry regular old ammo in your self defense , daily carry hand gun?

dept issue or otherwise

or do you go with the faster stuff?

Choices:
never +p or +p+ in my gun (s)
sometimes but not always
+p yes
+p+ yes
some guns yes some guns no

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Since there is no such thing as +p .380 I marked no

I plan to get a 9mm from the same series (Kahr) and will stick with regular 9mm defensive ammo too.

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Never.

I see no reason for it. If you want a .357mag, buy one.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Our duty ammo is 124 grain +P 9mm Federal HST. That's also what I use in my off duty 9mms.

I also used +P .38 Special ammo back when I briefly carried a J-frame off duty.

But I do not use +P .45 ACP ammo. Ballistic testing has shown that it is of minimal benefit in that caliber.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
9mm +P in my carry guns (M&P 2.0)
I also have no problem using standard pressure 124g HST ammo as they have proven as effective as the +P Gold Dots.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For 9MM, yes in the form of 124gr +P or 147gr +P Federal HST ammo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
no +P in any of mine...

Speer Gold Dots in 9mm or 38spcl

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I chose some yes, and some no.

For example, I carry Speer 125 grain Gold Dot regular pressure in my 938. It's a small, short barrel pocket pistol for immediate personal defense, and I don't think it would be wise to use +p in it regularly, nor do I think +p would be much more effective than the regular stuff in a pocket pistol.

I do use Federal HST 147 grain +p in my 228 and 2022 for carry ammo.

My 229 .40 uses regular HST as there is no recognized SAAMI +p spec for .40, even though company's such as Buffalo Bore make and market it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
+P+ in my P7 since I picked up some for cheap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry and shoot Underwood 9mm 147 (gold dot) +P+ rated at 1175 FPS in my VP9. Chrono shows an average of 1179 fps in my barrel.

Why? Because I haven't obtained a VP40 and 357sig barrel yet.

Surprisingly it is the most accurate of hollowpoints I've tested and recoil is softer than the Win. Ranger T 127 +P+ I've tested.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
If I want more power in a primary carry handgun, I go to a larger caliber. I do carry CorBon +P 9mm in my pocket carried Sig P938 second gun because I only trust 9mm for bad-breath fighting distances.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Mostly carry 9mm and I use Speer Gold Dot 124 +P.

I would be fine carrying regular pressure in the same ammo but when I was buying it I could only find the +P in 50 round packs which were cheaper than the 20 round, per round.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only +P load in my EDC guns is in my Ruger SP101 snub. Otherwise, standard pressure in everything else. My woods gun uses Underwood +P but I I dont run a lot of that through it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
+P in the 9mm & +P 38Sp the not-carried S&W M36

Not aware of any 357Sig +P Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted sometimes because I have, but lately Ive been rocking standard Speer 9mm 115g GDs in all my guns, they do really well even out of shorter barrels.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Sometimes +P but not always. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing there.
Never felt undergunned not having it though.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
In my J frame Airlite, I prefer the Hornady CD non +P 38, 110 FTX. It has both good velocity & expansion. In my steel framed snubs, I like both the Speer 135+P GDHP & the Federal 135 +P HST. The later is formulated specifically for 2” barrel guns & achieves superb results.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 9mm, if I'm running 124gr, I run 124 +P HST or Gold Dots; if I'm running 147, it's standard pressure.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Federal 115gr +P+ BPLE in my P6.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My carry gun is Colt LW Commander in .38 Super. All ammunition I've seen is labeled +P to differentiate from the old and weaker .38 ACP.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post