SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    +P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

+P and +P+ self defense ammo in your daily carry gun ( poll) Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Although I prefer Federal HST and Winchester Ranger ammunition, Federal's 9BPLE 115gr +p+ is a formidable competitor. The round is inexpensive for defensive ammunition and has real-world results that are impressive (interestingly enough, it usually sucks in gel tests).

Yea, I notice that in lots of gel videos. They seem to put the same bullets in both std and +p loadings, the the std velocity loads generally out-penetrate the +p loadings. So if the FBI guys are right about penetration, then it seems we may be doing ourselves a disfavor by carrying +p ammo. But then so do LEOs, so I don't get it, it's hard to know which type to carry.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the 'standard pressure' loads in .357 SIG seem more than adequate.... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
9BPLE +P+ the track record is what keeps me on this round.

I have more of this round stockpiled than any other 9MM. If it was a good man stopping ammunition for police officers then, it still should be now.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
9BPLE +P+ the track record is what keeps me on this round.

I have more of this round stockpiled than any other 9MM. If it was a good man stopping ammunition for police officers then, it still should be now.

They are many better 9mm rounds available today.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Stock up and carry the Win 127gr +p+.....at least in my g17s, HST non +p in my BHP....and 300gr Hornady in my M29 mtn gun

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Kimber 9mm ProCarry is loaded with 100gr +P frangibles.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If I felt like I needed to carry +p 9mm, I’d just go ahead and move up to .357 SIG or 10mm.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This. Overburdening a pistol, especially the newer sub-compacts, strikes me as a bad idea. And there are no standards for +P+.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+p 9mm is quite a lot softer shooting than full power 10mm.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
+p 9mm is quite a lot softer shooting than full power 10mm.

+

It should be. It’s ballistics aren’t anywhere near full power 10mm.

———————————————

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If I felt like I needed to carry +p 9mm, I’d just go ahead and move up to .357 SIG or 10mm.

So you can't see the benefits of having similar performance to .357sig with a +P 9mm then being able to plink or shoot competition with $0.16 per round fmj ammo in the same pistol?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

So you can't see the benefits of having similar performance to .357sig with a +P 9mm then being able to plink or shoot competition with $0.16 per round fmj ammo in the same pistol?

You’re trying to read wwaaaaay too much into what I said.

———————————————

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then I don't think you understood my retort.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then I don't think you understood my retort.

Ok pal. You’re right I’m wrong. Happy now? Smile

———————————————

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You're weird.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hctr154:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Federal 115gr +P+ BPLE in my P6.

I believe this is the load used originally by the ISP back in the day. I have in my 2 home defense 9mm pistols. Sig 320 and P229R.

I learned of it from some retired Dekalb County, GA police. They stacked up bodies like cordwood back in the day.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you can hit somewhere close to where you're aiming. The rest is mostly luck.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hctr154:
quote:
Federal 115gr +P+ BPLE in my P6.

I believe this is the load used originally by the ISP back in the day. I have in my 2 home defense 9mm pistols. Sig 320 and P229R.

I learned of it from some retired Dekalb County, GA police. They stacked up bodies like cordwood back in the day.

SG Ammo had a great sale on this stuff a few years back. I want to say it was going for $7-$8 per box. I bought two cases of it and keep it in .50 cal ammo cans along with a handfull of desiccant packs for long term SHTF storage.

posted Hide Post
My Glock 43 to which I recently got in a trade, I will most likely carry +p ammo in.

My PPk/s, enough said.

My Colt Cobra (mfg 1970) Nope.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now everything is HST +P In my compacts and full size.

One of my thoughts is that everyone is always looking for the perfect round. The 124 Grain rounds have better stopping but not as good penetration the 147 Grain rounds have better penetration but not quite the stopping power so I stager my rounds 147 to punch followed by 124 for stopping power. Right now it is all HST plus P but they have stopped making +P 147 so I may have to go to straight 147. In my 365 and 365XL I carry HST 147 grain +P. Right now my 8-inch MPX I have all 147 +P I am thinking about switching to the 124 +P to have a flatter shooting and probably a longer range. I would like to be able to shot 8 to 10 inches to between 150 and 200 yards. Yes, I think and approach things very differently and I am not saying that I am right or wrong it just seems to me that there is no perfect round. As to shooting 9 the way if I have the bad luck of someone walking in with an AR or AK I am severely outgunned so I want as many rounds as I can have with me to try and keep them away from me long enough for local LEO to show up with ARs. I really like Sig 357 but for now, I stick to for the capacity and controllability. In the end, we have a lot of good choices these days and many of them will work well so pick what fits you feel will be the right answer for what you feel you might encounter. We all carry because we all hope that we never face it but we also all know that sometimes bad things happen.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post