SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Marshals Special Operations Group adopts STI 2011 9mm with Deltapoint Pro optic
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Marshals Special Operations Group adopts STI 2011 9mm with Deltapoint Pro optic Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
https://www.guns.com/news/2019...pts-sti-2011-pistols

quote:
While there has been lots of speculation about the latest handgun program underway for the U.S. Marshals Service, Guns.com got the rest of the story direct from the horse’s mouth.

The buzz over the new USMS pistol initiative cranked up in earnest when Leupold and Dawson Precision issued a joint statement late last month that the agency had chosen the respective company’s DeltaPoint Pro optic and DUO/Perfect Impact co-witness sights, alluding to the “STI SRA Pistol project.”

As in the same Texas-based STI Firearms which is renowned for their high-end competition guns often seen in the hands of the fictional John Wick, not necessarily their law enforcement offerings.

This announcement ignited internet gun groups with discussion sourced mainly from Wikipedia pages, Tommy Lee Jones movies and basic cable shows based on Elmore Leonard books, but the truth is a little different animal. While today’s Marshals Service fields some 5,000 operational and administrative employees charged with duties ranging from court security, prisoner transportation, witness protection, and fugitive apprehension, the new STI guns will be used solely by the agency’s secretive Special Operations Group, stationed in Camp Beauregard, Louisiana.

“SOG deploys to enhance the tactical capabilities of the Department of Justice and the USMS operations, domestically and internationally,” Drew J. Wade, chief of the Marshal Service’s Office of Public Affairs, explained to Guns.com. Wade elaborated that SOG missions include a lot of specialty high-risk operations such as providing support for trials involving terrorists, moving high-threat prisoners and witness security members, and responding to national emergencies.

The unit, unlike rank-and-file Marshals, has “extensive training in the operation of single-action pistols, which they feel best meets their tactical carry requirements,” said Wade, with SOG operators having previously carried Springfield Armory pro-rail 1911 .45ACP platforms for the past 16 years. “Only SOG will use the STI pistols,” he said.

The group has been actively researching double-stack 9mm 1911-style systems for at least four years, with various models tested. This included lots of talks with STI.

“All of the stuff that shooters want for competition carries over into what a law enforcement officer would want to carry on duty,” Buck Pierson, Director of Law Enforcement and Military Sales for STI Firearms, told Guns.com. “Who wouldn’t want a pistol that holds 21 rounds and can shoot super-fast, flat and accurately when you’re on duty?”

Pierson said STI has responded to increased interest from big-name LE tactical teams who are looking at their 2011 platform for the same reason pro-shooters have been running them for 25 years: lighter recoil, a higher magazine capacity than a 1911 single-stack, incredible accuracy, and reliability. While SOG evaluators put somewhere over 15,000 rounds through their evaluation pistols, Pierson said some agencies that are testing STI guns have far exceeded that, with positive results.

The model the USMS has selected was developed as a result of feedback from law enforcement users, specifically SOG itself. After evaluating various 5- and 4.25-inch rail gun models, Pierson said changes needed to be made.

“The guns just had solid black sights. They didn’t have ambidextrous safeties on them. They didn’t have tactical mag wells on them, and they were blued,” said Pierson. “With the Marshals’ guys specifically being in Louisiana, the humidity out there were getting the guns to rust from being outside for multiple days.”

The solution was a durable Diamond Like Carbon finish on the whole gun — barrel, slide, frame, and small parts — everything — along with Treebark stipple grips, a slim tactical mag well, and a 4.15-inch bull barrel.

Then came the sights. With the Marshals and other agencies already set on Leupold’s Delta Point Pro, they needed a co-witness back up sight solution. That’s when Pierson said Dave Dawson with Dawson Precision came in and developed the DUO (Dawson Universal Optic) rear sight that fit the bill. Coupled with a Dawson Precision Perfect Impact front sight, the new model became the STI Staccato-P-DUO.

And the gun has been a hit. “As we sit right now from the development of that gun that was done jointly with the Marshals and other guys, we’re now in over 60 departments in 19 states selling that model specifically,” said Pierson. “So, what we ended up developing for [the USMS] as their go-to-gun has now been our primary production model for all of law enforcement.

Interestingly, although the platform is offered in both .45ACP and 9mm, most agencies have elected to go with the latter. In addition to the optic-ready DUO guns, Pierson said they have also made a carry version of the same pistol that was non-optic bearing, by request. “So basically, we took a Staccato P and we put a shorter carry grip on it,” he said.

To date, USMS has purchased 160 STI pistols for SOG operators.

Carry version:

Duty version:

Posts: 32414 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Lucas Davenport and his sidekicks will get STI.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Guns for gunfighters. Raylan Givens needs one of these

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I shot the staccato p a few weeks back and it’s awesome. I’ll have one someday.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My g/f bought me a Staccato P for my 45th birthday. Paid for on 6/21. Still waiting for it to get shipped. I can't wait!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
That’s one John wick movie too far.

The agency issued fancy 1911 trend died a painful death for a good reason. I will give it a year before they go back to Glocks.

(Disclaimer. I don’t have any great affection for glocks and often carry my own 1911 at work, but for issue these fancy custom shop double stack guns are a nightmare. Also, the performance difference between these fancy guns and a standard service pistol is unnecessary and unusable in environments where target and threat identification are the dominant factors in the engagement timeline. They aren’t fighting an army of assassins, they are trying to figure out if some dude 10 feet away is reAching for a gun, a crack pipe or his cigarettes)

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
The agency issued fancy 1911 trend died a painful death for a good reason.

Not totally dead. According to the article, STI claims that there are 60 other departments in 19 states that have adopted that same model of 2011.

Also, that's not even the fanciest 1911 I've seen adopted. A police department in the next county over has Wilson Combat 1911s as their duty guns. (Granted, they're the town in which the Wilson Combat factory is located, but still... Big Grin)

Posts: 32414 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another high speed, low drag unit adopts a 1911 because of how special they are and yet they seem to be unable to use the guns employed by 99 percent of other LE agencies in a satisfactory manner.
And 9mm‽ Hear that whirring sound? That’s Jeff Cooper spinning in his grave.

As a friend likes to say, “Not my circus, not my monkey,” and I wish them luck, but why is it we so seldom hear when a special agency decides to drop the special gun they adopted with such fanfare? I wonder how long this one will last.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I give them five years, and it'll be back to Glocks

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
P229's and P226's in .40 and 357 Sig available as LE trade-ins.

Yessssssssssssssssssssss. Smile

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
As fancy as those are give me a P226 or Glock 17 any day over a 2011 for duty use.

Posts: 10825 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
P229's and P226's in .40 and 357 Sig available as LE trade-ins.

Yessssssssssssssssssssss. Smile

Nope. Federal agencies can't sell their surplus guns to the commercial market any more. Their options are to transfer or loan them to another agency, or destroy them.

Besides, USMS carries Glocks, not SIGs.

Plus, they're only getting 160 STIs just for the SOG team members. The other 4000 or so US Marshals will still have Glocks, so the USMS will probably hang onto this handful of excess duty Glocks for use as spares.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They probably just figured out they can get the taxpayers to buy their new USPSA carry optics pistols.

Posts: 10825 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
When This groups arrives at your location, consider yourself screwed..

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They need to get themselves a Glock, and get rid of that nickel-plated sissy-pistol..

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I understand, Rogue but other agencies will want to be like the cool kids, and trade in their Sigs for that latest and greatest.
Maybe. Smile

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Meh. I find it hard to get excited about this, one way or another. If SOG wants this, and it is inside of their budget, by all means. There is a certain point that you reach where a Glock will only do so much. SOG shooters are past that point. Some people act as if this is a bunch of hayseeds looking for a equipment solution to buy skill.

When you couple that with how/why the 1911 fell out of favor with JSOC (which American law enforcement at that level often emulate), this is not a bad choice.

The telling thing in this article is the addition of the RDS. You'll see over the next bit that the USSS CAT teams, BORTAC, SOG, HRT, etc are all running dots on their pistols now. It is also interesting that the choice wasn't an RMR. Even though we constantly are bombarded with how anything but the RMR is junk. Guess they aren't looking to rack the slide 100 times on a steel table and whatnot.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Fussy expensive magazines.... I dunno.

Posts: 21047 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
When This groups arrives at your location, consider yourself screwed..

Well and truly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
They need to get themselves a Glock, and get rid of that nickel-plated sissy-pistol..

Ah, the great Sam Gerard / Tommy Lee Jones! Excellent!

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post