SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Marshals Special Operations Group adopts STI 2011 9mm with Deltapoint Pro optic
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Marshals Special Operations Group adopts STI 2011 9mm with Deltapoint Pro optic Login/Join 
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Wonder if Lucas Davenport and his sidekicks will get STI.

Are you kidding?! It would ruin the "drape" of his suit.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Here is the Primary & Secondary podcast that talks about the development of duty STI 2011s.
P&S STI

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Kind of an unusual, outside the mainstream choice, but I'm all for whatever they need to put bad guys down without hitting innocent bystanders.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Very interesting podcast. Thanks for linking it! Smile

Too bad other gun manufacturers aren't interested enough in the LE market to have folks like Buck from STI on board.

Also nice to see a bit of movement.....however slight, away from striker fired plastic and back to hammer fired metal framed pistols. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
What is the MSRP on these pistols?

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
What is the MSRP on these pistols?

They're equivalent to STI's Staccato P Duo, whose MSRP is $2,499 (without the optic).

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/staccato-p/

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Thanks RogueJSK!

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I might just have a rosey view of the past, but I can't remember anybody bitching about FBI HRT and later some DEA unit using the Springfield Professional. That gun retailed about the same ($2500) and that was 15 years ago (closer to $3000 now).

Also a note that in the podcast, the STI rep says LE price is about $2000 on the optics ready Stacatto P.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
You know, I might just have a rosey view of the past, but I can't remember anybody bitching about FBI HRT and later some DEA unit using the Springfield Professional. That gun retailed about the same ($2500) and that was 15 years ago (closer to $3000 now).

USMS SOG also used the Springfield Professional up until they switched to this new STI.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The real question I wonder.....is this the sign that safariland will wade off into ALS holsters for 1911s with optics?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the podcast linked above, the STI rep says they're expecting to have them on the street in six weeks. That was a couple weeks ago. Obviously the STI rep has a vested interest in selling the guns, but he sure makes it sounds like they're putting a decent number of them out there to LE. I've seen a video where somebody establishes that a 6360RDS for an M&P 9L will properly retain a 2011 with optic and light.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen a video where somebody establishes that a 6360RDS for an M&P 9L will properly retain a 2011 with optic and light.

I dunno… I wouldn't want a duty holster that isn't designed for that specific gun model, even if it retains the gun 80%/90%/99% of normal.

posted Hide Post
I get the concern, but I think when you look at retaining a gun with a weapon light and look at exactly what is being contacted and where, I'd be willing to give it a whirl. But I'm mandated to lug around a Glock 22 so my STI (and all other superior guns) are relegated to range and off duty.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get the concern, but I think when you look at retaining a gun with a weapon light and look at exactly what is being contacted and where, I'd be willing to give it a whirl.

Light-bearing passive retention holsters, like Kydex concealment holsters, are retained by the friction fit around the light. I've used alternate handguns with the same weaponlight in those before.

But the active ALS retention component on the 6360s and similar Safariland duty holsters uses a locking mechanism that interacts with the ejection port, not the light. (You can even use the handgun without a light attached in those, and they'll still lock in, although the fit is noticeably sloppier.)

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Buck Pierson is testing a prototype

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting choice.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Buck Pierson is testing a prototype

I'm more interested in that grip than the holster...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I get the concern, but I think when you look at retaining a gun with a weapon light and look at exactly what is being contacted and where, I'd be willing to give it a whirl.

Light-bearing passive retention holsters, like Kydex concealment holsters, are retained by the friction fit around the light. I've used alternate handguns with the same weaponlight in those before.

But the active ALS retention component on the 6360s and similar Safariland duty holsters uses a locking mechanism that interacts with the ejection port, not the light. (You can even use the handgun without a light attached in those, and they'll still lock in, although the fit is noticeably sloppier.)

Sort of. I think the only dimensions that end up mattering are top of slide to bottom of light, top of slide to trigger guard, width of slide, and the relationship between the ejcection port and the rest of the gun. I would expect that the first thing the Safariland bean counters do when they make a new mold for an ALS holster is try to fit some existing ALS devices in it to see if they can save on a very expensive injection mold. Especially on guns that, frankly, aren't Glock. And maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing, but I don't see Safariland building every single piece brand new from the ground up.

The community long ago figured out that the HK45 fits the P30L ALS, the HK45C fits the P30L ALS, and the VP9 (at least with light) fits the Glock 21 ALS. I have tried these myself and wouldn't think twice about carrying them on duty that way.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We've also seen recently that a member assumed that since his pistol 'fit' the holster made for another pistol it was safe to do so. The results were an unintended discharge and injury.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1160027954

"fits" doesn't take into consideration safety factors that the manufacturer has to consider. The negative publicity alone before the facts are known could cause financial ruin (firearm or holster manufacturer). In this litigious society this MIGHT get a company sued even when it's the fault of the user.

"The community long ago figured out that the HK45 fits the P30L ALS, the HK45C fits the P30L ALS, and the VP9 (at least with light) fits the Glock 21 ALS. I have tried these myself and wouldn't think twice about carrying them on duty that way."

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ lol

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post