SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FYI - Labor shortage at SigSauer in NH (and other companies)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI - Labor shortage at SigSauer in NH (and other companies) Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Hey now, I was raised mostly by my mother. Because my dad worked til like 6, but still. I work for an SO near me. I would also fit in that generation. And yet nothing ya'll have said about them is untrue. To many go and want to protest this, protect that, then wonder why only Mcdonalds will hire them.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
JakPro, I think you're mistaken - unless you expect an unsustainably high wage.

15-18/hour for starting pay, as low cost as NH is, is fairly decent.

The biggest change we made is that we pay a production based bonus - eliminated the gold bricking.

But, it's still almost impossible to hire a young person to work in a plant.

Millenials need lots of encouragement/emotional support/disingenuous BS to even tolerate working somewhere, and then, when they aren't perfect at it, they panic and quit, and say "they aren't suited for the job."

And, to a large extent, they're right - for some reason, they will NOT ask questions when they don't know something.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
Sig has jobs posted all the time up here with starting rates of around $15-$18 or so, which isn't bad for entry level. But, like everyone has mentioned the jobs are working with your hands; packing, assembly, engineer, tool crib, testing, CNC...

These aren't the type of jobs sought after by millennials. Sig has partnered with the local community college for job training and they host in house job training. The current younger working generation was sold on four or more years of college is required to get anywhere in life, not job training and apprenticeship programs.

Well from their point of view if they aren't planning on making it a career why go make $15 an hour making guns when they can go work the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and make more. I honestly don't know how anyone can live on $15 an hour.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It strikes me there are a multitude of reasons this is happening.

Yes, kids are being raised and guided differently than even someone born even 35-40 years ago. They're pushed toward college, but so was I 50+ years ago. Not everyone goes now nor did they when I was 17. It's not just that. They are pretty much taught that everyone gets a prize for participation and that's a disservice to them. We could talk about all the other things that kids are told or allowed to believe, but we cover that here weekly.

It seems to me that the general economic environment in the Northeast is different than it is were I live. Lots more regulation and governmental interference. A lot of state and local governments are run by politicians that lean further Left than here, although we have some of that too.

People in general are looking for an easier means of making a living. Heck, who doesn't? But I learned you don't get to start out with the boss's job. Probably don't really want it anyway. You have to get dirty to work your way up in most things. I've got a son who works heavy machinery, specifically cranes. He didn't start out operating them, he started out driving the truck with all the equipment to the site. Then he learned the rigging. Now he's working 12 hour days for 21 days at a stretch before getting a day off. He's making really good money, if you ignore the fact he's living in a travel trailer 300 miles from home 3/4s of the time. But he's providing for his family without a college education, which frankly, I'm not sure he had the inclination to work through in the first place.

The other problem with our society is we want to get there NOW. It doesn't matter what we want to get there now. Whether it's zipping down the highway, getting to the next traffic light or getting to the top of your chosen ladder. Being first is a priority with us. And hang the fact the job might not be quality one. Just get it done.

IMHO, there's lots of reasons folks can't hire quality people to fill jobs. It's not any one reason.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
Mike Rowe from the show Dirty Jobs has all the numbers on skilled technical jobs and yes there is a huge gap. I wasn't groomed for college nor was anything paid for yet while working with my hands I put myself through college. I get bored with labor jobs and I grew up on a farm constantly doing manual labor. If my son wasn't so smart and good in school I would definitely push him towards a technical skill. My grandfather machined aircraft parts during WWII and after but he was a math wiz and solved the huge math equations to program the first lathes than ran using Fortran computers. He was paid the same as the machinists though he had a BS in Math. It was a union job when that meant something. If I was young and strong I would relish the work since I am sick of people. Not really but the general public is getting worse or maybe it's the big city degradation I am not used to. Time to move to a small town again lol.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My experience with this.

Companies have turned themselves into daycare centers. Simplifying every process, no accountability, and incessant supervision. Now they are surprised that children flood the places.

Treat people as adults, pay them adult wages, expect them to conduct themselves as adults.

Third world wages work when they are backed up with third world social services. We're halfway there.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Genius Bar

quote:
Genius Salary
The average rate for an Apple Genius is $18.66 per hour

Assemblers don't make a great rate. but it's not that difficult a job once you are trained. Become a decent employee and you can move up the ranks. You know going in that you will work shifts beyond a Monday to Friday 8 to 4pm.

I know people who started at the bottom who are now upper management. Walk in thinking you will start at the top and yes, you will be disappointed.

Can't find anyone here that wants to work? No problem as they can find willing employees up in Canada.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

As a country, this is going to be one of the challenges in getting our industries going again under a pro-business President. All we seem to have left is unemployed pajama boys with bachelor's degrees living at home with their parents. Making a living with your hands had been disparaged for decades in this country.

No lie there.
The company I own a 1/3 of the share in is food production. You work with your hands. We have machines but they require physical, hands on work.
It amazes me that when I bring someone in, usually younger, that they can't or won't do it. They want a desk job or something to the degree of sitting around.
I've been working with my hands since I was 16 and enjoy it. It's not as easy as it used to be after 30+ years but still needs done sometimes.
I have repeatedly told my daughter that there's nothing wrong with working and getting your hands dirty. Luckily, it has stuck.

Yup... We have a couple of restaurants and we lose more people than we can hire. Young people today don't want to put fore the work. They want to sit around, lok at their iPhone, bullshit and when real work comes, they slack.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They should open a factory in the south. Less union shit in the south and seems like people are hungrier for work.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Candy assed bitch made people who do-not-want-to-do-shit.

That's all.

I like your attitude, I think I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post