SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I just won a 400 Corbon barrel for my P220.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just won a 400 Corbon barrel for my P220. Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have some recommended loads for this?
I'll buy some factory brass and load my own for starters.
What powder and bullet combos are y'all using?
Will a 22# recoil spring be enough?

Thanks

Posts: 19 | Registered: April 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have two 45ACP 1911s with accessory CorBon 400 barrels and have been shooting them since the round was introduced at SHOT Show in 1997. Living very close to Cor-Bon's HQ in Sturgis helped too. Smile

Your #22 recoil spring should do just fine. As an aside you'll find the POI quite different from what your stock P220 barrel delivers.

I use a Corbin cannalure tool along with RCBS FL Die set #17501 (roll crimp). I also have a set of Redding FL Die set #80919 (taper crimp) but found the roll crimp to be preferred when handloading. I liked WAP for my 135 (Sierra JHP #8425) and 150-5 (various) grain loads but now that it is discontinued I use Ramshot Silhouette with the same amount of powder. Way back when I bought 1M brass from Starline. Mine are the old style with large pistol primer pockets. New stuff uses small (https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/400-Cor-Bon-Brass/). Never liked the performance of bullet weights heavier than 155 and frankly load mostly 135s. That said factory heavy fodder is fine, just never was happy with my 165 gr handloads. And yes, the extra tools and time to load this round add to the cost but you can't put a price on "doing it right" for safety. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. That helps a lot!!

Posts: 19 | Registered: April 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post