SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    USFA Rodeo SA pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USFA Rodeo SA pics Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted
Don't know if we have a big fan base of SA revolvers but I have been bitten hard by the bug. I suspect some of you also have the bite marks.
The Rodeo model like this is usually a matte finish, but is every bit as nice in fit and function as the higher priced brethren. This particular gun is unusual because of the finish and the caliber roll mark. I suspect that the gun was aftermarket refinished and not a factory job. The box and paperwork is complete except the area of the label that would indicate the finish and options , it is missing . The owner I purchased it from indicated he bought the gun in a group of USFA models from an estate. Speculation was that it was a Turnbull finish, but I called them and they had no record of that serial number. No biggie because I plan to shoot this one anyway. Take note of the loading gate and how tight the gap is to the frame. You won't find that on most SAA revolvers. Very impressed with the gun. I already have my sights on a safe queen, that will put this one to shame. Enjoy the photos and feel free to ask questions.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2756 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!
Lubs me some USFA. Smile

Mine was shipped direct from the factory to the dealer who handled the special order for me. I have a 45 ACP cylinder for the revolver as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks snicker when I pack my Blackhawk.
And I don't care!
Beautiful gun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
sigfreund

That is a very nice looking what model is that , sheriff or storekeeper or what ? I like it a light , great colors and hammer . Cool

Posts: 2756 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The box says
“Model: Birdshead Sheriff”
“Barrel: 3", Sheriff”

I drooled over the other USFA models, especially the Seventh Cavalry, but realized they would have never been more than safe queens. When the company went out of business it was a disappointment—and a relief.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The box says
“Model: Birdshead Sheriff”
“Barrel: 3", Sheriff”

I drooled over the other USFA models, especially the Seventh Cavalry, but realized they would have never been more than safe queens. When the company went out of business it was a disappointment—and a relief.

There were a lot of variations on their guns for sure. Seems you could get about anything you wanted as long as you were willing to pay. Prices have escalated since they closed the doors. Kinda stings to buy one now days.

posted Hide Post
What makes you say that's a Rodeo; did they have a different serial number series than the regular production?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 5 1/2 inch Pre-war in 45 Colt, with one-piece walnut grips.

USFA right by GaryBF, on Flickr

USFA name by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
What makes you say that's a Rodeo; did they have a different serial number series than the regular production?

Yes , they have different SNs. Their numbers would have a letter and three numbers I believe. Example this one is K434 and I think this is later in USFA production.

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Gary, I have a line on a 7.5 with beautiful figured one piece Walnut grips and will probably purchase that one as well. Yours is exceptional , do you shoot it?

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
...do you shoot it?

Yes, I do, although not often. My round count is exactly 1000 so far.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. I used to look at the USFA site and dream of ordering one.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful SAs those USFA revolvers. I bought one NIB just before they stopped making them. Had I known that then, I would have bought a couple more.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember CDNN offering some close-out USFA revolvers that were finely finished like that after USFA shut down. I thought pretty hard about buying one. I think they had some that were engraved as well.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Standard Manufacturing seems to be picking up along the lines of USFA, I want to find one to handle and drool over.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have heard that Standard was of the same quality, haven't seen one for sale in the used market yet. Love to see one in person.

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I vaguely remember CDNN offering some close-out USFA revolvers that were finely finished like that after USFA shut down. I thought pretty hard about buying one. I think they had some that were engraved as well.

I have heard of some that were purchased from CDNN near the end of production. I missed out on that train unfortunately . Now it's GB or other collectors. Now everyone knows what they have and what they're worth.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
YEah. This was in 2012 or so. Here’s a link to a post by a fellow who bought one of the engraved ones CDNN had. The case hardening was Turnbull’s work.

http://singleactions.proboards...got-turnbull-45-cdnn

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had USFA make me a SSA, 4 3/4 bbl., in Nickle, Ivory grips, in 38-40 caliber. What A great gun. Mine goes to the range often. I just wish that i had been smart enough to order 2-3 more!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice one , if I ever run into one on my gun shop run`s I will jump on it . Years ago I picked up an mint in box with papers Ruger old model 357 6.5 in , got a letter from Ruger stating it was shipped Mar 1966 I never fired it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post