SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recoil Spring Replacement Testing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Spring Replacement Testing Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I have a 229/.40 that I probably have 2500-3000 rounds through. It was a CPO gun when I bought it, so I assume the recoil spring was new at that time.

I have heard that 5k rounds is a good replacement time for springs.

Is there any way to "test" a recoil spring to see if it is still operating to spec? I understand that they aren't particularly expensive, but I don't want to be wasteful either.

Thanks for any insight.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Most SIG springs I would just compare to a new one. If it’s much shorter than new, I’d toss it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I have a 229/.40 that I probably have 2500-3000 rounds through. It was a CPO gun when I bought it, so I assume the recoil spring was new at that time.

I have heard that 5k rounds is a good replacement time for springs.

Is there any way to "test" a recoil spring to see if it is still operating to spec? I understand that they aren't particularly expensive, but I don't want to be wasteful either.

Thanks for any insight.

A

5K is the number of rounds specified in the armorer's course.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most SIG springs I would just compare to a new one. If it’s much shorter than new, I’d toss it.

Thanks Jerry. That's a useful and practical way to look at it. I've got a new one I can check it against.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is amazing at how much it can compress with just a thousand rounds through it. I always get a few of them when I order and keep them hanging around. Like others have said, it is cheap insurance.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post